Fomula for Calories burned doing HIIT

Options
So I checked for a HIIT calories burned, and there's nothing in the MFP database. After googling, and looking online, I see so many charts that condradict each other. Livestrong.com says to calculate HIIT calories:

The following equation from the Journal of Sports Sciences calculates the calorie expenditure for women: Calories = [(0.074 x Age) + (0.4472 x Heart Rate) -- (0.05741 x Weight) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Men use the following equation: Calories = [(0.2017 x Age) + (0.6309 x Heart Rate) -- (0.09036 x Weight) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/228774-calories-burned-from-high-intensity-interval-training/#ixzz2DejrsyS7

Other charts tell me that running at 7.0 mph on the treadmill for an hour will burn 940 calories for a person my weight.. are the calculations different if it's on a treadmill vs on a road?

So many different calculations on calories burned... I'm beginning to think that this math equation of calories in vs calories out can only really be determined with food, as I don't know what numbers to trust or which formulas to use.

I jogged and ran for 15 minutes, and then did 12 minutes of the elliptical machine going at a decent clip, or whatever 55 (no not 5.5, the readout just said speed = 55) means.

Why can't they ever speak in plain &*%^$# english? Like ---

Heart rate @ this = X amount of burn for THIS weight. or is there something like that out there and I'm not looking in the right place?

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Does a heart rate monitor calculate calories burned based on heart rate - regardless of the type of workout performed?
  • Steellotus
    Steellotus Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Does a heart rate monitor calculate calories burned based on heart rate - regardless of the type of workout performed?

yes.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options

Yes, except that it is not very accurate for weight lifting. However, it is more accurate than these calculations, the machines at the gym, and MFP. It is second to a BodyBugg or Bodymedia FIT type of device.