NON- soy protein/ meat substitution suggestions?

Options
What are some suggestions for protein/ meat substitute that is not a soy product?

I have a few ideas that I use but am hoping to find some new ideas!

thanks all!

Replies

• kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer to this as well. I'd like to go vegetarian (and have tried a few times) but I always fall off the wagon because I hate soy and fake meat. Its also hard to cook a meal for myself and the meateaters in the family.
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I replace the meat in my burgers with portabello mushrooms. I know there are a few recipes out there that use mushrooms instead of meat. To me it tastes just as good, but I like meat, so that's one of the only suggestions I got. Sorry. :ohwell:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and quinoa. All are high in protein.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Quorn ch'kn fillets and patties. I don't think they contain soy.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Beware of TVP (texturized vegetable protein) which is found in a lot of processed meats. (think boca burger). I like Optimum Nutrition Egg White Protein in chocolate. I've found it to mix the best of all other proteins (that don't contain milk). I recently tried hemp, but I didn't like the particular brand I purchased because it had no flavor and didn't mix AT ALL. Hope this helps!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

They don't....they are made from a fungus...and they are so tasty.:bigsmile:
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Beware of TVP (texturized vegetable protein) which is found in a lot of processed meats. (think boca burger). I like Optimum Nutrition Egg White Protein in chocolate. I've found it to mix the best of all other proteins (that don't contain milk). I recently tried hemp, but I didn't like the particular brand I purchased because it had no flavor and didn't mix AT ALL. Hope this helps!

O no. Whats the matter with the Boca Burgers? I love them.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Beans, lentils, nuts, and Amys foods are good too. Especially the California Veggie Burger! And so far, none of the Amy's products I've tried have had any soy listed in the ingredients.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    seitan, made from wheat gluten, is high in protein and I like it very much. Very chewy, good in stews and chili's especially although it's very versitile
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

O no. Whats the matter with the Boca Burgers? I love them.

There do not seem to be any negative health effects of eating TVP, also called "textured soy protein". Basically it is a dehydrated, bulk form of protein extracted from soybeans, and is commonly used as an ingredient in meat-substitute products and in vegetarian products to provide higher protein content.

Given the chemical makeup of TVP, I would not think it would be dangerous at all. It is in widespread use in many commercial products, as well as being available in bulk form for cooking.

However, I know there is a lot of controversial information on soy products, but in my own experience consuming too much soy has caused problems with my hormones. Anyone can disagree with me, I'm just telling my experience with it. I have not had a period in 9 months (sorry if that is TMI) due to the overconsumption of soy. I'm not discounting it all together just beware and use it in moderation. I believe women are supposed to consume no more than 3 servings per week. I was drinking a carton of soy milk every few days :devil: Also, in addition to hormones pumped into food think about the age girls hit puberty now compared to ten years ago. Soy contains phytoestrogens which can potentially increase estrogen levels or decrease naturally occurring estrogen.
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i LOVE lentils
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. When I cut soy out of my diet I noticed less hormone issues (hair loss, weigh retention, etc.)

Thanks for the idea and the different things to try!!
  • quinnybear
    Options

They don't....they are made from a fungus...and they are so tasty.:bigsmile:

i agree... quorn products are REALLY good