How many carbs?!?!?!?

Options
If I'm trying to watch my carbs as well as my calories of course about how many grams of carbs should I be consuming each day??

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    For ketosis - Under 50g
    For general low carb under 70g
    for moderate low carb 100g
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I've personally been seeing great results doing low carb (60-80 g per day) and high protein and high fat.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's a bit of trial and error to work out what works for you. Some people can have 400g a day and lose weight, while others swear by low carb.

I follow a high(er) protein, moderate fat and carb plan myself (roughly 40P/30C/30F split). Seems to work ok for me.

My advice would be to keep your protein at at least 1g per lb of body weight, fat at at least .3g, and fill the rest with carbs to your daily calorie limit. If fat loss stalls then you can consider changing things up.

Just remember that macro breakdown is still secondary to overall caloric intake when it comes to losing weight.
  • aliez
    aliez Posts: 11
    Options
    carbs are what fuel your system including your brain you don't have to low carb just stick to healthy carbs whole grains and veggies people should not try to put themselves into ketosis it will ruin your liver and put you in a mental fog
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    carbs are what fuel your system including your brain you don't have to low carb just stick to healthy carbs whole grains and veggies people should not try to put themselves into ketosis it will ruin your liver and put you in a mental fog

Ignoring the many people who do this all of the time, sure. Brain will make its own energy from fat just fine.

OP do your own research at pubmed and get actual informed answers. Low carb is a safe alternative "diet". You can indeed get a little sluggish, even downright sick(look up keto flu). I never really have had that issue, we are all different. I wind up losing all of my hunger and cravings and end up sick from undereating.