Can Barley Walk How do you excersise

Options
Dislocated my Kneecap 3 weeks ago and I can barley walk; dancing on the WII (lol), so any cardio or anything involving leg work is out!

Any recomendations to other areas an any other type of cardio that I can do!

Thanks

Sherri:)

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Do you go to the local gym? you could maybe try some aqua fit classes?
    Maybe concentrate on some strength building exercises you can do until your leg is better rather then cardio

hope you heal up soon! :smile:
  • ambercole
    Options
    Do you go to the local gym? you could maybe try some aqua fit classes?
    Maybe concentrate on some strength building exercises you can do until your leg is better rather then cardio

hope you heal up soon! :smile:

I 2nd that idea. Water aerobics is probably your best bet right now because it is low impact. Plus it is fun!!!:happy:
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like the aquafit class idea, we even have classes a few nights a week that are drop in, so I must try that, gym and crutches arent going to well for me so i am stying a little clear of that

thnks for your help

:)
  • ugavirules
    ugavirules Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new on this site but I wanted to say that I've been doing Jillian's 30 day shred and she mentions that if you have a lower body injury that shadow boxing is a good cardio workout without involving your lower body...
  • blondie76
    Options
    i COULD TRY SHADOW BOXING, SOUNDS KIND OF FUN, i AM SO LOVING THIS SITE

THANKS ALL!:)
  • Nanalmw
    Options
    I'm new on this site but I wanted to say that I've been doing Jillian's 30 day shred and she mentions that if you have a lower body injury that shadow boxing is a good cardio workout without involving your lower body...

I second that!! I was going to suggest sparring with someone. That will definetely be a cardio workout plus upper body.
  • haileyco
    Options
    I too have dislocated my kneecap in the past...several times! But the first time was definitly the worst! I know I went to physical therapy after my injury and they had me ride the stationary bike a little and do some light strength training. Maybe seeing if your MD could refer you to a PT for eval and they could help you rehab your knee and work on some exercises! Hope this helps.
  • AliStar
    AliStar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sit and Be Fit on PBS!
  • Paxie
    Paxie Posts: 9
    Options
    For all of us who have no idea of what you're talking about, what exactly IS shadow boxing?

And I may be oldschool, but I can't help thinking crunches. It may not be a whole body workout, but as supply I think it's great at getting that tummy in shape.

Good luck with it!
  • ugavirules
    Options
    For all of us who have no idea of what you're talking about, what exactly IS shadow boxing?

And I may be oldschool, but I can't help thinking crunches. It may not be a whole body workout, but as supply I think it's great at getting that tummy in shape.

Good luck with it!

I found a video of the biggest Loser cardio max that shows them shadow boxing.
    Here is the link, its at a little over 6 mins into the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYHJskJaHDc
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait!

Sorry, voice of anxiety here.

Shadow boxing does involve your lower body, as you're twisting and standing. Boxing actually involves the knees quite a bit. As much as I love JM, I wouldn't trust her for advice on how to exercise safely. Extremely, yes. Safely, no.

Please, please, please consult your doctor for safe exercise choices. The pool is probably your best bet.

Don't mess with your knees. Seriously.:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait!

Sorry, voice of anxiety here.

Shadow boxing does involve your lower body, as you're twisting and standing. Boxing actually involves the knees quite a bit. As much as I love JM, I wouldn't trust her for advice on how to exercise safely. Extremely, yes. Safely, no.

Please, please, please consult your doctor for safe exercise choices. The pool is probably your best bet.

Don't mess with your knees. Seriously.:flowerforyou:

I was thinking this too Viv....................If your going to do this SIT in a chair.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Crunches are good. There are quite a few pilates and yoga exercises that you can do without using your knees.

I would also like to agree with the person who suggested PT. If you have insurance to cover it, USE IT! And def ask your doctor for some exercises if not. In addition to a PT helping you strengthen your knee, they can recommend ways to prevent it from happening again. (You said you did it by exercising, right?) The things you learn in PT will benefit you for the rest of your life.

I have knee problems. Its not fun at all! Sometimes its better to just rest and let your body heal. No sense in trying to stay fit while damaging yourself. New kneecaps aren't cheap.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I have done this EXACT thing.. multiple times! It is not pretty at all. My suggestion to you is to work on rehabbing the knee, that is the most important thing. I would suggest using some light weights for your upper body at home, and not doing anything with the leg until it heals.

good luck to you, and I feel for you as I have been there.....
  • blondie76
    Options
    tks everyone, I am doing an upper body shadow box some what, lol
    I have also seen a physiotherapist, and they pretty much put an electrode thingy on and that is it, walking slow!
  • ugavirules
    Options
    Sorry I took it that the op would be sitting. You can shadow box while sitting and thats what Jillian was saying was if you had a lower body injury you can still do shadow boxing without using your knees... I can do it while sitting.. but I would always consult a doctor in a situation like that of the OP... ;-0