Questions for cold weather runners

Options
2»

Replies

• kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I run better in warmer weather. The cold literally makes my body ache and i do tend to run slower as well since my legs ache. My fingers usually have trouble keeping warm and the extra layers makes me feel stiff and heavy. But I do it anyway because I love my long runs and do not wish to do them on a treadmill.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I usually run better in the cold after the initial breathing adjustment to the cold weather. I don't know if its faster, but its certainly less tiring.

As far as warming up, nothing beats a long hot shower.
  • swimbikerun2006
    swimbikerun2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love cold weather running & find that my I feel better during my runs than when it is warm. As for afterwards....a long, hot shower followed by warm clothes. That's about the only way I get warm after a long run in cold weather.

Keep up the great work! Your slower pace may have to do with increased mileage :) Which is also a good thing!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    On runs below freezing I'd always take longer to warm up and find my pace. I'd also wrap an extra fleece around my waist to put on as soon as I stopped. Then hot coffee, food and a hot shower. Fortunately, I don't run in the cold so often anymore.
  • kurting81
    kurting81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I notice for me and a lot of other athletes that I train with when in cold weather a tendency if I'm pushing it and inhaling deeply for my chest (lungs, throat) to close up a little bit if it's really cold outside. So of course that would slow me down and cause me to wait for things to open back up. Also, it takes longer to fully warm up in cold weather. I think it's especially important to go out slow and not worry about the pace on your first miles so you can properly warm up. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't think Georgia gets that cold, does it? It's been in the 30's here lately and will get down to the 10s or 20s soon.

I live in Tallahassee. It gets into the teens. Sometimes it even snows here.

If you're cold, take a hot shower and put on cozy, warm clothes. That should wam you up.

I seem to be faster in the cold.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I run after work so I haven't been showering when I get home because the family is waiting dinner on me. I think I might need hot cocoa with dinner and then shower afterwards. I'm always OK during my run, it's the after that's rough. I'm getting a new car in a couple weeks and it has heated seats and steering wheel so that will help warm me up on the drive home too (I run in a park about 15 minutes from home). I think I'm slower due to both fatigue and the cold. I just feel so stiff for so long in the cold weather - I don't feel warmed up until the end of my run LOL.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't feel warmed up until the end of my run LOL.

Run longer. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    sounds like fatigue to me, I run faster in colder weather. And a hot shower afterwards always helps to warm me up. Under Amour and gloves are a necessity in cold weather.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Gah! No one brought up what I always seem to get... I run fine in the cold and warm up fine afterwards... but once it gets really cold, I always get the weirdest pain from taking breaths afterwards. I asked about it on here and recall being pointed towards info on internal vs. external temp. changes and things.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't feel warmed up until the end of my run LOL.

Run longer. :)

Can't. An hour is my limit. To be clear, I'm not "cold" on my runs at all, but my muscles don't feel warmed up until at least 2/3 of the way through my run due to the cold.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you have two things going. You are cold and you are fatigued. I have lived and run in Minnesota, Chicago, Rochester, NY, and Boston. Never found the cold weather impacted my speed in any noticeable way.
    So there!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I tend to run slower only if there's snow on the ground. I just can't get the right traction. If there's no snow then my speed is probably the same or slightly faster than summer. I run during my lunch hour at work and we don't have a shower so I just bring wipes, deodorant, and body spray. I do tend to get a bit cold since I can't shower.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't think Georgia gets that cold, does it? It's been in the 30's here lately and will get down to the 10s or 20s soon.

I live in Tallahassee. It gets into the teens. Sometimes it even snows here.

If you're cold, take a hot shower and put on cozy, warm clothes. That should wam you up.

I seem to be faster in the cold.
    I am considering running the Tallahasse Marathon. The reviews are good
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't know about slower, but I can definitely run farther. I live in Georgia where they have a lot of trees, so I can breathe better in cold weather (though i hate cold weather). I am freezing when i am finished too, i just run to my car and turn the heat on.
    Anytime you can run between trees, it helps block the wind. There is a state park with a trail that I love to run during the winter.