Best Bagel Options???

So Friday is bagel day at my office and we always have a huge spread of every bagel and topping imaginable...I usually go for the wheat with peanut butter just because that's my favorite. This week I am trying to consider what might be a healthier option. Any suggestions? Or are bagels just bad news?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    well they have alot of carbs obviously but no harm in that if its your breakfast! dont sweat it just log it and keep your goals in tact
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    So Friday is bagel day at my office and we always have a huge spread of every bagel and topping imaginable...I usually go for the wheat with peanut butter just because that's my favorite. This week I am trying to consider what might be a healthier option. Any suggestions? Or are bagels just bad news?

Everything bagel with cream cheese or add some gg, bacon and cheddar to that everything bagel
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    I'd go with 1/2 a bagel and a light smear of whatever you like. I love my carbs, but a bagel can easily blow 200-400 calories depending on the size, and a tbsp of PB is almost another 100.

My fav is cream cheese on a toasted multi-grain. Yum!
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    I would avoid the everything and the salt to keep your sodium down. Try whole wheat and a light cream cheese
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    If carbs are bad in your books then bagels are the Osama bin Ladin of foods.

I haven't had a bagel in 3 months.... I haven't had bread in 2 months because I am avaiding bread.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    If there is a decent knife around, you could always pick your favorite bagel and take a thick slice out of the middle of the bagel and then discard the slice--sort of like making your own bagel thins. Light cream cheese is less caloric than peanut butter (but also has less protein).
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    In my opinion.. a bagel is a bagel is a bagel, unless it's like a panera french toast bagel or something like that, pick which ever you like best, prob lower cal to go for cream cheese vs. pb, and log of course

PS: I love bagels :flowerforyou: Where are they from?
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    I would probably agree that if they are from a bakery, they will all be pretty close in calories. They might range a small amount of 20-40 calories difference between flavors. So just go with your favorite and think about the spread. PB is high but if you can make it work for the rest of the day, no harm. If you can't, go with a low cal reduced fat cream cheese. Or jelly. Or just use half the pb. I like the idea of making your own bagel thin, you could also "pick out" the filling of the bagel, but I don't know how many calories you would really be saving doing that.
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    I love bagels, when I found the bagel thins I was thrilled. They are great low calorie and whether you put pb or cream cheese, as long as you don't use too much it's fine. One of my favorite breakfasts is a whole wheat bagel thin with 1 tbsp of Jif Natural and banana slices on it...so yummy and less than 300 calories! :) If all your work has is the full size bagels, just take a half of one! Moderation is key. :))))
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    I have 1/2 and everything bagel a few times a week. I put no more than 1/2 oz of low fat cream cheese and Im thrilled to have my bagel back in my life. I avoided and did the thins for a bit- but there is no replacing the real deal for me. Have it with a smear and enjoy- half or whole- just log it and have a salad or something with high fiber and protein for lunch since you're sure getting the carbs for breakfast.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member

Everything bagel with cream cheese or add some gg, bacon and cheddar to that everything bagel

This! Everything bagel with cream cheese. My fav <3

If you're going to have a bagel, HAVE A BAGEL!
  • MKCD123
    MKCD123 Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks for the input. Have a great Friday everyone
  • MKCD123
    MKCD123 Posts: 86 Member
    In my opinion.. a bagel is a bagel is a bagel, unless it's like a panera french toast bagel or something like that, pick which ever you like best, prob lower cal to go for cream cheese vs. pb, and log of course

panera :) yummmmm
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member

panera :) yummmmm

Panera's Pumpkin Pie spice bagel. Took me an hour of Zumba to work it off but it was a treat that I haven't had in quite some time and worth every bite!
  • annretzlaff
    annretzlaff Posts: 11 Member
    try half bagel with Veggie cream cheese is usually low in cals, and fresh fruit or yogurt (80-100 cal). good luck!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    If there is a decent knife around, you could always pick your favorite bagel and take a thick slice out of the middle of the bagel and then discard the slice--sort of like making your own bagel thins. Light cream cheese is less caloric than peanut butter (but also has less protein).

I usually gut the bagel with my hands. no knife required.
  • I have a bagel just about every day for breakfast and don't have any problems. I usually go for the whole wheat variety but have been splurging on the pumpkin spice since it's in season. Peanut butter is high in calories so I'd go for a light smearing of cream cheese or an egg if it's an option. Enjoy your bagel day!
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    I'm not much of a bagel person, but I use to scrap out the fleshy part on the top and bottom before I put the peanut butter or cream cheese on. I don't know how you'd calculate the cals, but it made me feel better :).
  • yennikcmm
    yennikcmm Posts: 2 Member
    I love thin bagels, I am in Canada and I know they also have them in the US but not sure if they have it where you are. I like the whole grain ones and also cinnamon raisin with a little bit of margarine.