Weight gain this week :(

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Don't be depressed, you've lost 27 kg! Weight loss is not linear, and even if you're doing everything "right", it's very common to have weeks where you gain. Remember that the number on the scale isn't just a representation of how much fat you have, but all your lean mass too - organs, bones, muscle, fluids, the food/waste in your digestive system. Some of those, fluids and food/waste in particular, will fluctuate.

I personally don't think you're eating anywhere near enough. I'm not a scientist, but to be honest, the constant debate over whether starvation mode exists, or at what level it kicks in, is kind of a red herring. Forget starvation mode. Having too large of a calorie deficit is not a great idea. You risk losing more muscle mass than you should be. It's inevitable that you will lose some muscle as you lose weight (that's why body builders have to do bulk & cut cycles) but you're probably losing a lot more than is desirable. That will cause your metabolic rate to drop more than it should. It will also mean that you have to get to a lower weight to achieve the size you want. Eating at such a low level over a long period of time means you also risk messing up hormone function. Your body is only going to let go of so much fat at once. If its not getting enough calories to perform basic functions, it will start slowing processes down.

It might be worth looking into diet breaks as much for psychological reasons as physiological ones. Saying "It would be like telling an alcoholic who has been sober for 6 months, "It's ok to have just one drink."" and " I never make any exceptions - not for birthdays, not for weddings, not for holidays, not for trips. Never." - that doesn't sound very healthy to me. Eating the normal level of calories that your body needs to function healthily is not remotely like making an alcoholic have a drink. The fact that you equate the two is very worrying to me.
    I eat quite a lot actually
    ^Said by every person on MFP trying to justify long-term under-eating. Along with "I'm full of energy" and "I feel so stuffed". Which all completely ignores the fact that very often, when the body isn't getting enough to eat, it stops sending the brain hunger signals. Why don't you try upping your calories and eating at least what MFP suggests to you (bearing in mind MFP suggests that amount based on the assumption you will eat back exercise calories as well). Try it for a few weeks, don't freak out if you gain a pound or two (which won't be fat) and just see how you get on. What have you got to lose?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    so take a pee.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Doug, if Dans link is a bit daunting to you feel free to friend me and I'll help you go through it. You'll have to give me your measurements etc though but I'll take you through the questions. I was a bit scared of the link too first time I saw it but it's not hard at all really. Trust me it will work, you will lose, just in a healthier way than you are now and yes you can eat vegan or however you like but we'll worry about macros later. Calories are more important at first.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    With calories that low you probably are way below your BMR. Never good for long.

A significant deficit below your TDEE and still below your BMR is unhealthy. But I would not fret over 1kg. But I would start re-evaluating your big picture with regards to your nutrition.
  • douglerner
    douglerner Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi, people. Thanks for your posts. Just a few responses!

Kleran: I am absolutely positive that I have not lost 58 lb in water weight. :)

Jester: I may be eating too little. I'm not sure. You might be right about that. But we will have to agree to disagree about breaks. I am POSITIVE it will throw me completely off the wagon. Healthy eating is healthy eating. What would I do for a break? Have KFC? It just sounds like a bad idea. When I think of when I overeat and talk to people who can't quit smoking, or can't stop drinking, it really does sound a lot like the same feelings to me.

Mockchock: Thanks. My stats are currently 174 cm, 101.4 kg (for some reason my weight dropped a kg since yesterday), age 56, and mostly sedentary, though I try to do a bike ride by the river every day. I want to get down to at least 75 kg.

Thanks, people!

doug
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're so certain of yourself, why did you even start this thread?
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi Doug,

I totally agree with YOU on the diet break. Its obvious that you take this seriously and are committed to it. This is not a DIET this is HEALTHY EATING folks. Taking a break....to eat junk food.....how can that be good for you.

I am glad to hear that the scales have fallen again for you. I also put on 1 lb today. I think I feel the same as you. Yes I am disappointed because I wanted to see the scales continually fall each time, but at the same time I am intelligent enough to know that its probably to do with my body (ie water retention) it cannot possibly be real weight gain as I am still eating below my TDEE.

You have had much success, well done. Just keep doing what you've been doing and I am sure your weight will fall again. As you rightly say, you could try eating a little more and it will not do any damage and still keep you under your top figures. From the figures I can see why most people are saying you should eat more and I would probably agree with them. That said, I suppose we also have to all remember that everybody is different. I have just been reading a post from someone who has lost 40 lb in ten week, which to most of us is impossible. Calculators and the figures they produced are really helpful as a guide, but we have to also tweak them to suit us individually.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Taking a break....to eat junk food.....how can that be good for you.

Who said anything about eating junk food? Taking a break means taking a break from calorie deficit, and eating at maintenance calories with your regular food. Gives your leptin and ghrelin and chance to reset/
  • douglerner
    Options
    Thanks for the additional responses, people.

I might eat a bit more - to get up to the 1800 calorie range my doctor recommended. I have to admit I'm pretty anxious and excited about getting under 100 kg, into two digits, again, for the first time in years. But after that, I really don't care how long it takes me to get to a normal BMI range. I'm already fitting comfortably into things like restaurant booths, small cars, I can tie my shoelaces again without steps, I am sitting here with my legs crossed comfortably - something I couldn't do at 129 kg! I even have a lap for laptop again!

However, I don't see any need to eat at a level that would maintain my current weight. That would be what? Like 2,200 to 2,600 calories per day! I just haven't heard any reasons why that makes sense. And my doctor recommends sticking withing 1,800 calories a day.

Thanks,

doug
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing a weight loss until I actually ate my exercise calories back, or at least most of them. this amazed me since I had been used to eating minimal calories since I have been a weight watcher member on and off for so many years. I see you have been losing steady, so congrats. For women, I'd say PMS :laugh:

ok...sodium can make anyone retain water, so you could very well just be retaining. also, it could just be your scale or what you weigh in if you don't weigh in the buff. I wouldn't sweat it to much and just keep on keeping on!
  • sandradev1
    Options

Who said anything about eating junk food? Taking a break means taking a break from calorie deficit, and eating at maintenance calories with your regular food. Gives your leptin and ghr elin and chance to reset/

Apologies for that comment, I think I was speaking personally. Since starting this I have changed to eating whole, clean and healthy foods and most days I have trouble eating enough to get to my 1400/1500 target. I can eat so much more actual food than what I used to eat. I sometimes find myself making up calories with plain biscuits or snack a jacks because I cannot face anymore veg, tuna etc. Therefore for me to increase my calories would probably mean having to revert to the junk food I used to eat which I don't want to.

If anyone out there has any ideas of foods that are high in calories, still healthy and are small in portion size, please share for those of us who are being told to eat more to lose weight.

As for my small weight gain, at 56 yrs its not PMS :blushing: lol and always weight in the buff its the only way to go :laugh:
  • mockchoc
    Options

Who said anything about eating junk food? Taking a break means taking a break from calorie deficit, and eating at maintenance calories with your regular food. Gives your leptin and ghr elin and chance to reset/

Apologies for that comment, I think I was speaking personally. Since starting this I have changed to eating whole, clean and healthy foods and most days I have trouble eating enough to get to my 1400/1500 target. I can eat so much more actual food than what I used to eat. I sometimes find myself making up calories with plain biscuits or snack a jacks because I cannot face anymore veg, tuna etc. Therefore for me to increase my calories would probably mean having to revert to the junk food I used to eat which I don't want to.

If anyone out there has any ideas of foods that are high in calories, still healthy and are small in portion size, please share for those of us who are being told to eat more to lose weight.

As for my small weight gain, at 56 yrs its not PMS :blushing: lol and always weight in the buff its the only way to go :laugh:

Nuts/seeds, avocado, full fat dairy, healhy oils, whole eggs, nut butters..
  • sandradev1
    Options

All those are quite high in fat, is it OK though as its whole food fat rather than processed food? I was logging sugar intake and avoiding things like fruit as it made it quite high, until I read on the forum that you don't need to worry too much about natural sugars.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I keep gaining and losing the same 2-5 lbs. I know how you feel. It's very frustrating. :explode:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Its nothing for me to gain 500 gms one day, float around it for a few days then drop 900gms in 2 days all the while eating the same food, same about of cals. Just keep going. You have lost a great amount so far.
  • mockchoc
    Options

All those are quite high in fat, is it OK though as its whole food fat rather than processed food? I was logging sugar intake and avoiding things like fruit as it made it quite high, until I read on the forum that you don't need to worry too much about natural sugars.

Our bodies need good fats from foods like these though so it's fine.
  • douglerner
    Options
    Thanks for the extra comments, people!

With regards to extra calories, the idea of "Nuts/seeds, avocado, full fat dairy, healhy oils, whole eggs, nut butters.. " won't work for me because they are all explicitly forbidden on the Ornish and Esselstyn heart disease reversal diet. There is research that shows that all added oils are actually unhealthy for artery linings.

If I were to add extra calories it would probably be more brown rice or some other whole grain.

doug
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lentil, peas, black beans.

Without criticizing your choice and lifestyle, personally, I'm not a fan of these diets because frankly I find them too restrictive, low on protein and they tend to create vitamin deficiencies. So do make sure you supplement vitamins.

Couple of comments:
    If you are biking every day, you are not sedentary - at the least, this is lightly active to active.
    I can understand that you do not believe in "starvation mode" but would make the following suggestion - consider metabolic adaptation - as you lose weight and especially on very low calorie diets like yours the body loses fat but also muscle. Muscle uses calories. At a lower weight you need less calories to move around but if you have lost muscle you need even less calories for activities. Ideally, one wants to maintain (or build up) muscle during weight loss to reverse this effect. In your shoes, I would evaluate my body fat percent and try to reduce it to have more muscle mass - this is also excellent for the heart. Lower bf% will give you the benefit of losing at higher calories while having all the cardio benefits. Or eventually to continue your weight loss you will have to eat less - this does impact thyroid function and other organs.
  • douglerner
    Options
    Yes, I do take a multi-vitamin. I have been tracking my protein and think I'm getting enough from tofu, legumes, soba, mushrooms and other things.

This diet is supposed to be good for your heart, which is why I started it. It's the same diet Bill Clinton went on.

Anyway, my weight has just being going up and down around the same weight since I posted. I was hoping to get into two digits by the end of the year, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I upped what I'm eating so it's at LEAST 1500 calories/day. As I suspected, that does not help in losing weight quicker. :)

doug
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I upped what I'm eating so it's at LEAST 1500 calories/day. As I suspected, that does not help in losing weight quicker. :)

doug

Honestly, 6 days is way too short to make a determination of whether more food is working or not. It also could be you've just hit a point when your weight loss is going to slow down. I was losing about a half pound a week before I discovered Dan's roadmap. I upped my calories by 100 a day. A month and a half later, and my weight loss is unchanged: still a half pound a week. But if I can eat an extra 100 calorie a day and still lose at the same rate, why wouldn't I? If I made weight loss decisions on a 6 day basis I'd have given up a long time ago and be far heavier.