One bad day...so what do you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    One thing I think that helps after a really bad day (not that yours was THAT bad) is to make a plan for what I will eat the next day, in advance, and carry all the necessary items with me so I don't make poor choices the next day. The biggest thing is not letting a slip-up become a pattern, which is totally possible without a plan.
  • SueMGordon
    Options
    If I go over, for whatever reason, I try to compensate so that by the end of the week, on average, I am back within target. If I am only over a little and I have time I will try and burn some of it off by exercising. Otherwise I reckon that this day was hard, for whatever reason and don't let one or two items lead me to thinking what the heck and go wild. Even a few hundred calories over will often be below maintenance level anyway.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Even a few hundred calories over will often be below maintenance level anyway.

That's true - good point.
  • Kiramia
    Kiramia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of people calling it a cheat day, when you eat unhealthy foods. As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a "CHEAT" day. Who are you cheating? You know full well you didn't eat healthy, the scales tell you if you ate over the required calories for the day. There is no hiding from it whether you record or not.
    MFP is a great tool to help you make choices about what you consume during the day. Eat the burger live with the calories or choose something healthier. For me no food is banned, if I want it and if it fits with my calorie count for the day, I have it. I have a weakness for coffee milk and often I will have coffee milk instead of a sandwich for lunch. Some days I go over my calorie count but it is a conscious decision to do so. When my day is done, so is the good, the bad and the ugly. Tomorrow is a new set of calories for me to make choices with and do better. So enjoy the burger, tomorrow you have a whole new set of choices to make.
    There is NO CHEAT days!!! :smile:
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    It happens. I went to a networking happy hour last night ... had tapas and mojitos. Tons of cals, and I didn't even know how to begin to log it. I'll just get back on track with breakfast, drink extra water, and get to the gym today.

Not every day is perfect, and we're not perfect. It's only when the bad days are more than one here or there that we find ourselves with a problem ... the scale shows it, and so do our clothes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    relax about food - its not a priority
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I log it, cringe a little, and then check my net calories for the week. Chances are, it will balance out since I tend to be under most of the time.

Tracking daily is just to help keep you balanced; your body doesn't work like that. If MFP had you track weekly, though, we'd all have maybe 300 calories left for the weekend. ;)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Get back at it today. One bad day isn't a big issue. Bad days back to back to back. That's when its a problem. If you're telling yourself everyday that today is the day you get back on track, well, just isn't very productive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a bad day- i had burger king for lunch and 6 squares of Ghiradelli chocolate with the mindset of " Oh, ill be ok" until it came time for dinner and snacks in the PM......i wasnt ok and i had to change some things up. The lesson i learned? I cant just have a cheeseburger anymore and think " its ok" because it really screws up the rest of your day!

On to tomorrow and better choices!

Get in a workout and don't make one day become two or more.