I want to get a punch bag..need some advice

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
I want to get a punch bag that I can hang from the ceiling..it's going to be for the whole family as my 9 year old son is learning to box, we have gloves and pads but regarding the bag, is there a certain type I need to get? Are there different weights etc? Im really clueless about it and would appreciate some advice on the best type to get as me and husband would like to use it too.

Thanks.

Replies

• garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    that's mint, i would have loved that as a kid

get a big heavy one, you don't want it flying all over the place and you want a big one so you can kick and punch it
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Are there certain weights? What would be a good weight for all of us?
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Everlast makes a great heavy bag
  • Jordy1983
    Jordy1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A heavy bag's a heavy bag tbh. 60 lbs would be a good weight. If you can, I'd suggest finding your nearest 'no thrills' boxing gym and joining up. It's great fun and a really great way to stay fit. Burns soooo many calories. If not, at least ask for their advice.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    A heavy bag's a heavy bag tbh. 60 lbs would be a good weight. If you can, I'd suggest finding your nearest 'no thrills' boxing gym and joining up. It's great fun and a really great way to stay fit. Burns soooo many calories. If not, at least ask for their advice.

My nearest gym is 30 miles away :huh: but we also want it for my son who's learning boxing/ sparring :smile:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was given a heavy hanging bag (Everlast) and a stand-up bag (Wavemaster) by my martial arts instructor when he decided to retire. The hanging bag is my favorite--I have it filled with about 75 pounds of sand. I'm not sure of any brands that are more durable than the others, but both of these bags are pretty old and they are holding up well.
    I hope y'all enjoy it! It really is a great workout!
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I was given a heavy hanging bag (Everlast) and a stand-up bag (Wavemaster) by my martial arts instructor when he decided to retire. The hanging bag is my favorite--I have it filled with about 75 pounds of sand. I'm not sure of any brands that are more durable than the others, but both of these bags are pretty old and they are holding up well.
    I hope y'all enjoy it! It really is a great workout!

Brilliant,thanks for that...ill get a decent heavy one ..looking forward to it, I like to mix up my workout.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've got a 75lb one hanging from the ceiling in my old bedroom (now used as a guest room) and I always use it when I'm stressed.. The past few months I've used it quite a bit :laugh: They're great though, I agree with Everlast being durable.

Best of luck, and enjoy!
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a standalone one? We have a hanging one in the basement - I have never used it. It just seems like it is in the way of everything else in the workout room, and I always thought it would be nice to have one that can be moved much easier. I don't know how they compare, or what your set up, but I think it would be worth checking into.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I box, and let me tell you that I adore working out on the heavy bags - anywhere between 60-75lbs. Be cautious though, when you're hitting it not to tweak your wrists. Especially since you're just starting out.

Boxing is an amazing workout - your family will enjoy it I'm sure!

Keep your hands up!
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I got a stand alone inflatable bag from K-Mart. Fill the base with water or sand and the top with air. It is about 100lbs. For me it is great. When the kids get mad at each other, I tell them to go punch the punching bag and not each other.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Thought about a stand up one but think a hanging one will be better for us, it's going in my sons room :laugh:
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I got a stand alone inflatable bag from K-Mart. Fill the base with water or sand and the top with air. It is about 100lbs. For me it is great. When the kids get mad at each other, I tell them to go punch the punching bag and not each other.

Think it'll be good for my son, he gets wound up easily and so does my husband so will be good for both of them
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just got a 100 lb heavy bag, and I love it. Everlast. It doesn't move that much and gives me that gratifying "smack" sound. Enjoy yourself!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have the same questions... my son is 6 and would love one, and I'm sure he's not the only one who'd be pounding it. I've seen them go up to 100lbs, but I don't know what's enough. It would probably hang in the basement, so you can move around it, but then again the basement is full of crap! :grumble:
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have the same questions... my son is 6 and would love one, and I'm sure he's not the only one who'd be pounding it. I've seen them go up to 100lbs, but I don't know what's enough. It would probably hang in the basement, so you can move around it, but then again the basement is full of crap! :grumble:

Honestly Laurayinz, 100 lbs is good and fun, but if it's for the kiddlets too, I would suggest going lighter - try a 75 lb :)
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Glad I ran into this post. My 7yo daughter wants a punching bag for Xmas. I am thinking about buying one for both kiddos.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I've been looking for one for a few weeks now. I keep getting mixed online reviews about Everlast so I haven't bought anything yet. Walmart had an Everlast on sale for cyber week but didn't purchase because of the mixed reviews. Also don't know whether to go stand alone or hanging. :-/
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I box also, I use a 100lb bag. It doesn't swing much and I am a heavy hitter.... at least in my own mind. Anyway, you can probably get away with a 75lb bag, I think those are pretty standard. Get a leather one, a bit more but worth it. Title Boxing.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    id love to have a hanging heavy bag but ive not good any supports strong enough in the cieling to put it. in the end i got a small punch ball which i murdered and gave up in the end, one day ill join a gym which has one.