Plantar fasciitis and exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• Elma1975
    Options
    I had it a few years ago and did a few things.
    - night splint so the excruciating pain of the 1st morning step didn't happen
    - got some Birkenstock sandals for wearing around the house
    - custom orthotics for my shoes
    - take time off from what caused the injury (which for me was running)

I don't remember how long it took before I was totally pain free. I wore the orthotics for a few years and started walking without them a few months ago. Big mistake because something is happening now and I put the orthotics back in. I don't have that bruised heel symptom that I did have before, but I'll need to wait and see if it recurs in all its glory.

I understand that there are three big factors that make one predisposed to PF - overweight, overpronation and age. I cannot help the latter two, but I can deal with the overweight, and that's my tactic for 2013.

ETA: I only have / had PF in my right foot, no probs with my left foot. I couldn't imagine it in both feet - that would be 2x excruciating.
    Yeah it is bad to have it on both feet and I´m hoping by losing weight this will have more chance of healing
    Good luck to you
  • Elma1975
    Options
    Sorry you have this to deal with. I hadn't heard of plantar fasciitus until you raised it. It sounds very painful.

After doing a little research into the condition, I wondered if taking oral supplements like a glucosamine and chondroitin joint formula might ease inflammation and evening primrose oil capsules might improve elasticity a little. (Obviously you will want to check with your medical practitioner first.)
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA366539/glucosamine-supplements
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART00354 ]

Exercise in a tepid pool or warm ocean seems the kindest way to burn quite a lot of calories and hopefully reduce the pressure on your feet, if you can manage it.

Take care and I hope your feet mend quickly.
    Thanks
    I will check the suppliments
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had this too as a result of an ankle injury and wearing the moon boot or an ankle brace for over a year. Nothing helped and it was so painful. Finally I gave in, got a cortisone shot and rested. When I though I was done resting, I rested some more. Then it finally healed and I have been fine for a couple years. Good luck, it's very painful I hope you have a good MD to help you!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have a mild case.. I have found that the sketchers shape up shoes have helped me a lot. They have pretty high arches and keep my foot supported. I no longer have foot pain at all now.