Working out while on antibiotics?

Options
I have a sinus infection. I'm taking antibiotics. Is it just better to lay off working out for six days or work out normally, or just stick to cardio?

My trainer said that there was some old addage that if you're sick from the neck up, you shouldn't work out, but from the neck down is fine."

Is this bovine scatology?

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I thought it's the other way around...
    any case, when you are taking antibiotics it's very important to take them at the exact hours and take extra care of yourself.
    bacterias, if antibiotic is not strong enough to kill them, can (not always happen but can happen) mutate and become resistant to that antibiotic and that will mean you need to take another round of different meds.

i would take a brake from working out
    at least as long as you have fever / other symptoms.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd say that if you feel able to do something then you are well enough to do it - just listen to your body.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work out with head or chest illness myself. Maybe try exercising at a lesser intensity each? That should tell you pretty quick, and a little movement is better than none!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have a sinus infection. I'm taking antibiotics. Is it just better to lay off working out for six days or work out normally, or just stick to cardio?

My trainer said that there was some old addage that if you're sick from the neck up, you shouldn't work out, but from the neck down is fine."

Is this bovine scatology?

I would say that you SHOULD work out if you feel up to it. For me, if I stopped working out for a week, I would lose my mojo and it would all be over.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you feel good, don't let it stop you. If you feel lightheaded or nauseated from it, stop. I doubt you need to give up an entire week, normally after a day or two you start to feel better and then I would go ahead and work out. I never just stick to cardio, but that's just me. I have cardio days and strength days. Do what works for you. I hope you feel better!