Christmas temptations

Options
kangakev
kangakev Posts: 2,430 Member
feasting with the family. get togethers at work. tis the season to overindulge. god it is hard to diet at xmas time...even santa is a fattie. we dieters just cannot get a break. it has taken 11 long months to lose 40 pounds....so much more to go

Replies

• superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My plan is to watch portions and avoid store bought baked goods. Good luck!
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try eating healthy and low calorie for the most part, but don't totally deprive yourself at get togethers. Eat the things you love in moderation, and don't fill up on things you only kind of like.
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    you can do it girl-- keep your head up!

At Christmas, just remember why you want to be healthy... Add a work out in the morning to get your day started off right. ENJOY yourself. Please don't sit at the table and ONLY be thinking of the calories/fat/etc that's in each dish...ENJOY the time with your family.

balance is key. good luck!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Stick to you plan and enjoy gatherings in moderation.... easy to say, sometimes harder to do. I have never done anything in moderation so I can understand how this time of year can be challenging. The important thing is to not beat yourself up if you have a slice of pie because (in perspective) you aren't going to gain weight from a single item or meal.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE sweets lover, and I'm normally holday baking. So I like to intentionally make things for others that I know I don't like.

For example, I hate cream cheese. So I slather that on lots of goodies and I know I won't eat them, and everyone else loves them.

It's kind of like on Halloween when people recommend buying candy that you don't like.

Goal is to make it one day of holly and jolly treats, not a season :flowerforyou:
  • UtahWalker
    UtahWalker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello. I know what you mean about holiday eating. If you are a person who just can't avoid the holiday foods. Use a smaller plate and smaller portions, specially on the dieter's no-no foods. I got up to 268lbs and my daughter 300 lbs. I am now down to 248lbs and still have a long way to go. My daughter and I working together on a weight loss control plan. I know how hard it is to do this with out support. With support from MFP and others who are encouraging you you CAN do it. You not only need help on weight loss, but you need an exercise plan.
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Fill the majority of your plate with protein and eat that first. Avoid drinking any and all calories. Limit carbs and fats. Enjoy!
  • ultim8fury
    Options
    There is now a huge section of the supermarket I have to avoid. I made the mistake of walking through it last week and walked out with 3 terry's chocolate oranges (they were on offer) they didn't last very long either. Between that and the yard of jaffa cakes which are on sale everywhere at the moment it's very hard to resist those orangey chocolate treats.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helps me this time of year is to really think about what and why I am eating.

For example, there was a giant container of store-bought sugar cookies at the nurses desk closest to my office today. I have walked by it numerous times and not partaken. When I first saw it this morning, my instinct was to grab a cookie. I know that if I eat one cookie, I will continue eating cookies until they are gone.

I asked myself, "Do I really want to eat cookies all day?" Not really.

Then I asked myself, "Do I really love store-bought sugar cookies?" No, not really.

"Would this be a special treat that I can only get at this moment or this time of year?" No.

"Would I rather have a store bought sugar cookie than meet my calorie goals this week?" No.

I have had no trouble avoiding the cookies today.

Now, if it were something else, maybe something homemade or something really delicious that I love, I may have decided to eat it. I think that it is important to make solid, conscious choices this time of year (any time, really) and know that it is okay to indulge and savor things that we really want, but also to consider that we cannot eat anything and everything with reckless abandon this month and not sabotage our progress or goals.

It takes hard work to lose a single pound. It is faulty thinking to believe, "Oh, I'll eat what I want and take off a few pounds in January." I will splurge during the holiday season, but not enough to gain weight, because it was hard enough to lose it the first time. I really don't want to have to do it again.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helps me this time of year is to really think about what and why I am eating.

For example, there was a giant container of store-bought sugar cookies at the nurses desk closest to my office today. I have walked by it numerous times and not partaken. When I first saw it this morning, my instinct was to grab a cookie. I know that if I eat one cookie, I will continue eating cookies until they are gone.

I asked myself, "Do I really want to eat cookies all day?" Not really.

Then I asked myself, "Do I really love store-bought sugar cookies?" No, not really.

"Would this be a special treat that I can only get at this moment or this time of year?" No.

"Would I rather have a store bought sugar cookie than meet my calorie goals this week?" No.

I have had no trouble avoiding the cookies today.

Now, if it were something else, maybe something homemade or something really delicious that I love, I may have decided to eat it. I think that it is important to make solid, conscious choices this time of year (any time, really) and know that it is okay to indulge and savor things that we really want, but also to consider that we cannot eat anything and everything with reckless abandon this month and not sabotage our progress or goals.

It takes hard work to lose a single pound. It is faulty thinking to believe, "Oh, I'll eat what I want and take off a few pounds in January." I will splurge during the holiday season, but not enough to gain weight, because it was hard enough to lose it the first time. I really don't want to have to do it again.

This is how I got through Thanksgiving and this is how I'll get through Christmas. How badly do I want that piece of chocolate? I know I won't stop at one piece. I will not be making my Christmas cookies because I'll eat them if I do. I also know I will be at events where there will be a lot of food, but I am not going to let myself backslide again! That's why I'm in a position to have to lose these 17 pounds for a second time after losing 67 pounds 5 years ago and keeping it off! I REALLY wanted chocolate earlier today... I discussed it with myself... I've worked very hard to get 12 of the 17 pounds off and no piece of chocolate, no cookie, no egg nog, no candy cane will taste as good as fitting back into my skinny clothes feels! The "fat" clothes have been packed away and I don't want to see them again! Will one cookie weigh 12 pounds? Of course not, but after it's chewed up and swallowed I KNOW I would not feel it had been worth it! Tempted, for sure... but you have to decide if it's really worth it!