Eggs/Egg whites: how to make them taste... less?

Options
13»

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't eat food that makes me gag :sick:

If you dislike eggs that much don't eat them!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle mesquite seasoning on mine - makes it taste more not egg like
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There are Slimming World 'quiche/ frittata' recipes all over the net - the basic is three whole eggs blended with one carton (250-300g) flavoured cottage cheese over whatever not too watery cooked vegetables and/ or meat you fancy. Some versions include milk and/ or cooked rice or pasta and/ or topped with a little grated cheese. I have left out the carbs, it's then pretty high protein and the egg flavour is diluted by the cheese.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Whites ... with Franks - "I put that *** on everything!!" :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I looked up the pasteurized eggs vs biotin thing last night and found stuff that claimed to answer it but kind of didn't lol. But from what I gathered, the bacteria should be killed by the pasteurization process, so I figure I'll just add a few to my shakes to make them thicker. I don't think it's gonna kill me.

Also tried making an omelet this morning. Granted there is more meat in it than eggs (and more scrambled than anything, my cooking skills are somewhat lacking presentation skills), I think I could get slowly used to the taste over time. I was just scared to hell to try making one because when I was a kid the ones my parents used to make just made me wanna straight out puke. Sometimes facing your fears is worth it :)

I think my next tryout will be a tuna omelet. This oughta be good.

It's a whole other debate, but I would never go for something called "sugar free maple syrup". It's not maple syrup, it can't be called that (I live in QC, I've had the real deal since I was a kid. Any artificial syrup just, seriously? You go maple, you can't go back, lol). Plus I have a thing with artificial sweeteners. Apparently I can only stomach so much before it gets to my sleep patterns. I can't believe I never made that link before this weekend. And I'm not a huge fan of stevia. So sweetening things up usually means adding calories. Guess it makes me think twice about doing it, which in itself isn't so bad. lol
    I stopped all artificial sweetners and immediately saw health benefits. I have been on MFP for a long time, call me Granny AWTY and Ive been told for YEARS to quit the tea/sweet and low for a month to see what happens to migraines and all around 'healthy feelings' Honestly, it was less than a week!

Of course it took the doc telling me no lemon or lime to get me to stop :grumble: the artificial sweetner reduction was a side thought. Now I look and it, as well as MSG is in SO much prepared food:sick: My fav yogurt I was eating for 'gi health'? Loaded!

Think I will stick to the wholest of foods I can. :flowerforyou:

BTW I just LOVE that you are branching out to try new foods. When I first started here I added a new veggie or fruit each week. Hmmmm me thinks I need to act like newbie and get back to good eatin'!:smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of eggs either. I will eat an omelet if there is plenty of cheese and mushrooms, but I generally go for bacon or sausage, or sometimes peanut butter on toast for breakfast.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I do the same as someone else said and throw some egg whites in my morning oatmeal. You can't taste them at all. I also throw Chai seeds in for some extra protein. My oatmeal ends up thick, but I like it that way!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    many meat replacements like 'Quorn' are based on eggs. the minced meat is really affordable.
  • barefootmassage
    Options
    feel the same about eggs but i love their nutritional value. imo i think the more eggs are cooked the stronger the flavor (and smell) so i go for slightly less than all the way cooked, and less of a fan of the white than the yolk so mixed is best for me. i think hard boiled eggs are the worst but my aunt made a salad with them finely chopped up, mixed with broccoli slaw, chopped cucumber etc & some kind of italian-like salad dressing (i'd personally make it with balsamic)- i got them down fine because they were chopped so little they were coated with the other flavors. other than omelets packed with things, i also mix lightly scrambled eggs (not overcooked so they are still soft) with mushed up avocado and some seasonings (salt, pepper, dash of cayenne) to taste, i just taste the seasoned avocado- maybe banana if you don't like avocado with some cinnamon perhaps- i used to do that with peanut butter. i also throw some leftover cooked plain spaghetti noodles in a pan with some uncooked scrambled eggs & cook them up. add eggs to stir-frys, or meat & potato or rice leftovers heating in a pan. saw the dairy comments- i'm dairy free now but i used to love plain (goat) yogurt with fresh blueberries and pour in some steel cut oats right out of the bag, or plain yogurt mixed with a mashed banana, sometimes mixed in oatmeal. my brother has an affinity for cottage cheese mixed with salsa.
  • LDBianca
    LDBianca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I eat egg whites all the time due to being on a low carb diet for max muscle gain. here is what I do with them to mask the bland useless flavor. What I do is use it instead of bread or rice by making an omelette and stuffing it with whatever goodies I'm making.

Hot Indian Curry:

~I put some oil into a saucepan and wait for it to get hot
    ~Add a few tablespoons of Indian Curry Pasta (I use Patak's)
    ~Saute until super fragrant then add 90 grams of tomato paste and continue to saute.
    ~Add enough chicken stock to make the mixture a little bit waterier than a normal curry (it will reduce)
    ~Add chick peas, frozen peas, and frozen kale to the pot and simmer until the curry has reduced to a consistency you want and the chick peas are cooked.
    ~You may want to add some chili flakes or garam masala or adjust any of the other flavors to you liking by adding more curry paste or tomato paste.

Now for the egg whites!

~Put 6 egg whites plus 1 whole egg into a bowl or glass and whisk to mix. Make sure they are totally blended. Add a tiny bit of garlic powder and ground cumin plus a dash of worcestershire sauce. Mix well.

~Put some oil into a frying pan and wait for it to get hot. hot where if you flick water onto it the water will bead and sizzle.

~Then pour the egg whites in and cook on one side and flip it like a pancake to cook the other side - making an omelette.

~Put the curry in the middle of the egg white omellet, fold over, and enjoy!

(I also do this for ground beef in a spicy tomato sauce plus cheese instead of using pasta)

~Laura
  • DebbieSusanne
    DebbieSusanne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In a pan I cook some mushrooms, onions and garlic then add my egg whites. On top I add diced tomatoes, some turkey breast and some cheese. You can scramble it or make an omelet. I'm not a huge fan of eggs and I can't eat them plain, but I found that by adding the veggies and other stuff the eggs taste a lot better to me.
  • sporwancher
    sporwancher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My apologies if someone has said all of this, but I don't have time right now to read through all comments.

I agree that you shouldn't eat eggs if you seriously don't like them. However, many things are/can be cooked with eggs and you won't even notice them at all.

I make Turkey Meatloaf Muffins (you could also use chicken). It's just ground turkey, eggs, onion, garlic, seasoning. Combine everything and make into quarter pound balls (or whatever size you want) and place in a muffin tray and bake. Great high protein snacks. For 1LB of ground turkey I usually use 2 XL eggs. It helps bind them together and you seriously don't taste it at all.

A good post-workout side dish is healthy fired rice. Take some cooked brown rice, some low sodium soy sauce, and mix in an egg or two. Spice it up with some garlic, ginger, etc if you want.

There are plenty of recipes you can add eggs to. But don't force it if you don't want it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods I don't like...try greek yogurt.