Working out In the Morning or at Night?

Options
Is there any evidence that supports either way is better?

I know 3 nights a week I work a 130-10 shift...by the time I get home settled in and get to working out its nearly 11pm. I work out an hour on those nights on the wii from 11pm-12am and usually get a 400 calorie burn. Then after I workout I eat something small before bed. Usually about 350 calorie range.

Typical 130-10 workday

Get up about 10am and have some breakfast
Take a shower get ready for work
Have a snack about 2pm
Have to take my lunch at 430pm because the other manager is always off at 5pm the nights I close, so I consider this my lunch
Have a snack about 8pm
Get home, begin working out from 11-12am
Eat dinner at about 1230am
Go to bed about 130-2am

I wonder if this is "Bad" for me LOL

Michelle

Replies

• lovemyboys27
    Options
    I don't have an answer but am very interested to hear what people say...
    I typically workout between 9pm-11pm depending on the night. After the kids are in bed and things get cleaned up etc. I have been wondering lately whether this is a good idea or not.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning/afternoons, because if I work out too close to bed time, I find it hard to fall asleep. Too wound up, adrenaline going, wired... you get the idea.
  • Candiceg13
    Options
    My ONLY opportunity to wo is at 4am! I have children (9,5,3 and 6mos) and between working FT and balancing them and the house, after 8 I am DONE!!!! I am trying to figure out HOW to work in something in the evenings, even like some basic strength training during my TV shows, when I get to actually watch them, because usually after the kdis go to bed I am doing dishes or laundry...
  • artichoke420
    Options
    I hear it's better to workout in the morning especially if you do interval training, because then your body's metabolism is higher throughout the day.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I stick by my standard - whenever you can fit it is. Whatever works best for you, works! You've lost a lot of weight - so if it ain't broke don't fix it! :laugh: Just my $.02.
  • LETIN1
    LETIN1 Posts: 38
    Options
    :happy: I work out between 10:30 and 11:30 p.m. It's the best time for me because the kids are asleep. After I work out, I drink some chamomille and decaf green tea to relax me and I can sleep peacefully. This is the only time I find it easier. Afterward while drinking my tea, I spend time with my husband. It our time.

Sometimes if possible, I'll workout in the afternoon but rarely. Keep in mind, your body needs at least eight hours sleep, don't skimp on the sleeping. It works against you and your goal.

So it only depends on your schedule and preference. Continue doing a great job.
  • nroesler
    Options
    In a Fitness and Nutirition class I took in college we learned that working out at night can lead to the things people have already talked about; problems sleeping, too keyed up,being starving at the end of it. The only problem I see is eating right before bed (your body is digesting when you are asleep and therefore does not do so efficiently). Working out in the morning boosts your metabolism for the entire day, burning more calories than a non-workout day, and you don't get that benefit when working out at night (your metabolism is less active during the night). But honestly, if you are going to the gym and it's working for you then keep it up! You could try going first thing in the morning (at 10 when you get up) for a week or so and see if anything is different (if you are sleeping better/working out harder).
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Interesting perspectives above. You are rockin the weight loss! Go YOU! :smile:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at night because it's the only time I can fit it in. Well, no.... I COULD get up at five-thirty in the morning. And I've done this a few times, when the baby wouldn't sleep. But I HATE getting up early, so if I can avoid it I will!

The trouble is, I have to be careful not to work out TOO late in the evening or I can't sleep. I try to work out between 5pm and 7pm (cooking dinner, eating and feeding the kids some time in that window, lol) but often it doesn't work out that way!

I figure... whatever works for you. If you're losing weight, great! Being active at midnight is better than not being active at all.
  • fozzy33
    Options
    The reason I ask is because Im at a standstill, Im not gaining Im not losing..... I was eating all my exercise calories back....now Im only going to eat half back which I think was a lot of the problem.....and the nights I close Im just gonna get up early at 8amish and get a hard hour and a half workout in before work. Im at the point where I can see the finish line Ive come this far. If I have to readjust my schedule a bit it will be all worth it in the end :-)

Michelle
  • ambrown988
    Options
    I go to school full time and have all the homework/projects that come with it. I workout around 10ish every other day, and after that I go right to sleep no sweat. I haven't actually heard of set time that is best to workout, but curious of ideas.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Working out most frequently and consistently--regardless of time of day--will far, far, far, far outweigh any supposed "benefits" that can be gained by working out at a specific time.