Question on Sugar intake

Options
Hi everyone. So, I've recently started a 1250 calorie diet. I have been watching my sugar intake as well. My daily recommended sugar intake is 25g daily. Although, I am finding that even in the fruits I am eating they are high in sugar. I ate strawberries and an apple for breakfast today and am already over the recommended amount of sugar for the day. I don't understand how I am supposed to avoid high calories, and still avoid sugars. I know this probably sounds stupid to some people but I have never even been on a diet before that I actually was dedicated to like I am now, and any helpful dietary suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar limit is arbitrary, ignore it.
  • HisEminence
    Options
    To be successful on a low carb diet...you must eat foods that are low in carbs and/or have a low glycemic value. There are boatloads of information online on the topic of low carb dieting. Ultimately, you will have to find the right combination that works for you, in the short and long term. Good luck!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    To be successful on a low carb diet...you must eat foods that are low in carbs and/or have a low glycemic value. There are boatloads of information online on the topic of low carb dieting. Ultimately, you will have to find the right combination that works for you, in the short and long term. Good luck!

She didn't say she was on a low carb diet
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs, so unless you have a medical reason to do so, do not bother tracking.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^This! I'm over everyday, I just ignore it!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^^This! Plus, fruits that would be lower in sugar would be berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, ect. Just a thought, but 1250 calories seems a little low, especially if you do not have that much weight to lose. You could adjust your settings to losing only 1/2 lb per week and adjusting your protein to 40%, fat to 25% and carbs to 35%. Just a few thoughts.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Do what the biceps tell you to do.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I always get over 100g of sugar on here but it's because MFP doesn't differentiate between natural or artificial sugar. Natural sugar found in fruit and milk and things is nothing to worry about but what I've read is to limit added sugar to 32g a day.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I've come to agree. Mine is set to 25 grams but I haven't changed it simply because I don't care about it anymore. I do make sure I don't go over board with my sugars and most of my sugars anyways come from healthy sources like fruits and veggies. So as long as your not eatting junk I wouldn't worry about sugar too much. Focus more on carbs and stuff like that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Arbitrary? I'm pretty sure MFP uses recommendations of the Institute of Medicine.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I go over on sugar EVERY day because of the fruits I eat. It has not had a negative impact on me. I wouldn't worry about being over on sugar unless it's coming from loads of candy or something lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is no issue for you, then ignore it. If it is an issue, as it is for me, then eat more vegetables instead. I limit my fruit to maximum 2 servings per day, and prefer berries. I get all the great stuff that fruit has, with less sugar, from vegetables.

Though everyone will jump on me, I'm going to say it anyway: for people needing to lose weight, limiting sugar is often beneficial and eating lots of fruit will sometimes impede weight loss for some people. No, I did not say EVERYONE.

Edit: most veggies are lower in calories too. However, I am in disagreement that you should only be seeking lower calorie foods. Healthy fats will likely help you lose weight better than just filling up on low cal stuff.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Arbitrary? I'm pretty sure MFP uses recommendations of the Institute of Medicine.

Appeal to authority =/= valid justification
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    If the sugar is no issue for you, then ignore it. If it is an issue, as it is for me, then eat more vegetables instead. I limit my fruit to maximum 2 servings per day, and prefer berries. I get all the great stuff that fruit has, with less sugar, from vegetables.

Though everyone will jump on me, I'm going to say it anyway: for people needing to lose weight, limiting sugar is often beneficial and eating lots of fruit will sometimes impede weight loss for some people. No, I did not say EVERYONE.

There's an obesity epidemic in America. The culprit?

Apples.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Apples.

Can you please re-read my post. I made absolutely NO ridiculous blanket statements. Obviously fruit did not cause the obesity epidemic but for SOME people, limiting sugars helps with getting back to a healthy state. Gimme a ******* break.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Apples.

Can you please re-read my post. I made absolutely NO ridiculous blanket statements. Obviously fruit did not cause the obesity epidemic but for SOME people, limiting sugars helps with getting back to a healthy state. Gimme a ******* break.

Focusing on sugar misses the forest for the trees
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Apples.

Deer like apples and they are not fat
    Your information is clearly incorrect
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Apples.

Deer like apples and they are not fat
    Your information is clearly incorrect

They must have good genetics
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Apples.

Someone needs more sugar.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that if its natural sugar its ok to be above the limits. So I think you are fine and just stay away from too much processed sugar and you will be just great. Good luck!