Help! How much should i be eating?

Options
I've lost 40 pounds so far on 1200 calories a day, not eating back exercise calories. I haven't lost any weight since the end of September. I started my journey at 220 pounds and now weigh 180 pounds. I'm 19 years old and I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall. My original goal was to lose ten percent of my body weight, I've done that almost twice now. My end goal is 150 pounds.

I have signed up for a gym membership at my college for the winter semester so I have a new motivation to exercise this winter. After reading several posts about eating more to weigh less it seems that I should be eating more than 1200 calories. My question is should I wait to up my calories till I'm closer to my goal or now? And how many calories should I be consuming

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories so that you net 1200
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss.

I'm about 20 years older then you , same height, same starting weight..don't work out..lost 30 lbs in about 4 months eating 1600-1800. The reason you have stopped is because you have finally hit that point where your body can't cut anything else. When you go for long periods not eating enough your body eventually 'adjusts' and compensates for the lack of energy it is being fed by instigating a metabolic slow down. The slower your metabolism is the longer it takes to lose weight. This is what is happening to you right now.

You need to be eating AT LEAST your BMR and then also any exercise you do on top of that. Check the following for information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Figure out your TDEE, take a cut from that - increase your calories slowly and you will break that plateau.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options

I'm about 20 years older then you , same height, same starting weight..don't work out..lost 30 lbs in about 4 months eating 1600-1800. The reason you have stopped is because you have finally hit that point where your body can't cut anything else. When you go for long periods not eating enough your body eventually 'adjusts' and compensates for the lack of energy it is being fed by instigating a metabolic slow down. The slower your metabolism is the longer it takes to lose weight. This is what is happening to you right now.

You need to be eating AT LEAST your BMR and then also any exercise you do on top of that. Check the following for information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Figure out your TDEE, take a cut from that - increase your calories slowly and you will break that plateau.

^This, a thousand times this.
  • abeach1
    abeach1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I am in the exact same boat so I am looking forward to the feedback.
  • rachelae
    rachelae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.
    Koldriana- the first link was one of many that has got me thinking on this path.
    I had just been unsure when to start following it
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

This is a great answer. The threads she posted really helped me. Good luck.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Koldriana- the first link was one of many that has got me thinking on this path.

How about right now :).
  • rachelae
    Options

Haha yep starting it today, I have been unable to exercise because I have laryngitis but I look forward to seeing how this works!
  • ezebra82
    ezebra82 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the info!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Now is always a good time to eat more, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! My weight was in a similar boat. My highest was 205 4 years ago (currently 26 years old and heigh 5'6"). Through mild lifestyle changes, I dropped 20 lbs in about a year and a half. The end of July 2012, I really wanted to actually lose some major weight. I started a "zig zag" diet plan right off the bat. My starting weight was 185, I have steadily lost weight each week and currently weigh 154. You can build a zig zag plan of your own through the following link:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

My zig zag cycle since I started has been Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are 1200 calories. Wednesday is 1550 calories. Saturday is 1750 calories.

I love my diet. It is so easy!
  • rachelae
    Options
    Just another link I have found

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator

Just did mine, and its pretty cool.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I agree with the others, follow it now.

Congrats on the weight you've already lost but remember, you need to fuel your body (I'm sure you've heard it numerous times already) I wasn't losing anything then I checked out the road map post, upped my calories and have been losing since (knock on wood I didn't just jinx myself:wink: )

Remember though, if you do up your calories, do it slowly, from what others have said (and myself included) it's works better. I upped mine 100-150 calories a week
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • rachelae
    Options
    How has everyone gone about making the transition?
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    How has everyone gone about making the transition?

Just change it. You will be fine.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Here are my numbers:
    Miffin-St Jeor equation BMR = 2149 TDEE (lightly active) = 2632
    Harris-Benedict formula BMR = 2036 TDEE (lightly active) = 2799
    Katch-McArdle formula BMR = 2096 TDEE (lightly active) = 2385
    MFP TDEE= 2570 (lightly active)
    Averaging the TDEE from above and cutting it by 20% (just over 500 calories per day) my net average calories per day is 2177.

Right now since I was at 1660 I have bumped it up to 1900 and will gradually raise it to 2175. I have stalled recently since my start on 7/1/12. Lost 28 pounds and 10%BF. So, now going to raise my net calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here are my numbers:
    Averaging the TDEE from above and cutting it by 20% (just over 500 calories per day) my net average calories per day is 2177.

Right now since I was at 1660 I have bumped it up to 1900 and will gradually raise it to 2175. I have stalled recently since my start on 7/1/12. Lost 28 pounds and 10%BF. So, now going to raise my net calories.

FWIW, the Katch McArdle formula is said to be most accurate because it uses your body fat % in the calculation.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Here are my numbers:

FWIW, the Katch McArdle formula is said to be most accurate because it uses your body fat % in the calculation.

If that is the case 20% less of that TDEE is 1908. Since I am starting at 1900 I will test it then. But don't forget these are all estimates so I will adjust as necessary.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Can you share the sites to figure out your TDEE?