Running in the winter?

Options
Anyone run outdoors in the winter?
Just wondering how you go about it (clothes, outerwear, shoes, etc? other logistics I haven't thought of?)

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I don't have a lot of snow/ice to deal with. Lower temps I just layer up and go run.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I have just started training for a 5K in February.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty warm so I don't add a lot of extra layers to run in the cold except gloves and a headband. My run is out in the country so it depends on road conditions whether I go or not and my plan the last 2 years is that I buy a new pair of shoes in the fall to use indoors and wear my old shoes for my road running so by spring they're ready to become just kicking around, gardening type shoes.
  • Kasaya20
    Options
    Dressing for a winter run can be challenging! One thing to remember is that your body temperature goes up about 10 degrees from what the current temperatures are. Therefore when deciding what to wear and how many layers to put on, keep this in mind so you are always dressing up like the external temperatures were 10 degrees warmer.

Depending on the temps, if below 30 I will wear tights and 2 layers on the top. All my running gear is dry-wick fabric. I don’t change my shoes; I have 2 different running shoes that work for me so I never deviate from them; but I will wear thicker socks. Asics has some really good thick winter running socks. Some light running gloves and a headband are a must if temperatures are below 45. If it is below 30 and windy, I will wear a running hat which helps keep you warm as you do tend to produce majority of your heat from your head and wear thicker running gloves. Also, during long training runs on days when we are dealing with temperatures below freezing I will wear a fuel belt to avoid having to carry my water bottle in my hand. One time I carried my water bottle in my hand and the water froze up on me. By the end of the long run I had frost bite on one of my fingers!!! :noway: :grumble:

Always stick to main sidewalks when you have had snow/ice and avoid the trails & bridges. Safety is key, so if you have really bad weather and the roads are a mess please take it to the treadmill.

Check out this article from Runners World that could help as well: http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/comfort-zones
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Like anything else in the winter....layers. My inner most layers is always technical fabric, and the rest is whatever I can find...fleece, sweat shirt....etc. Below 30* I put on tights. I also have a pair of pearl izumi running gloves, and a cheap stocking hat. I usually take that off after a while. If you want to run when it's super cold.. below 10* a baclava might come in handy.

Other than that have fun, and don't worry about ice in your hair...it will melt when you go inside.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Running in winter isn't such a drag here, although it does get quite cold in winter. I usually wear a compression vest and tights, with gloves and a hat for extra warmth.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I dress like it's 10 to 20 degrees warmer than it is.
    If not, I always end up overheating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Dressing for a winter run can be challenging! One thing to remember is that your body temperature goes up about 10 degrees from what the current temperatures are. Therefore when deciding what to wear and how many layers to put on, keep this in mind so you are always dressing up like the external temperatures were 10 degrees warmer.

Depending on the temps, if below 30 I will wear tights and 2 layers on the top. All my running gear is dry-wick fabric. I don’t change my shoes; I have 2 different running shoes that work for me so I never deviate from them; but I will wear thicker socks. Asics has some really good thick winter running socks. Some light running gloves and a headband are a must if temperatures are below 45. If it is below 30 and windy, I will wear a running hat which helps keep you warm as you do tend to produce majority of your heat from your head and wear thicker running gloves. Also, during long training runs on days when we are dealing with temperatures below freezing I will wear a fuel belt to avoid having to carry my water bottle in my hand. One time I carried my water bottle in my hand and the water froze up on me. By the end of the long run I had frost bite on one of my fingers!!! :noway: :grumble:

Always stick to main sidewalks when you have had snow/ice and avoid the trails & bridges. Safety is key, so if you have really bad weather and the roads are a mess please take it to the treadmill.

Check out this article from Runners World that could help as well: http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/comfort-zones
    This is pretty much me.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!!