the amazing difference of self portraits vs...

Options
pictures other people take.

example:

um.jpg

no, this isn't a before and after. i actually might very well weigh more in the photo to the right. i just photograph FAT unless i'm the one taking the picture. it just makes me so angry.

i am 5'2", 140 lbs..do i look like it? anyone else have the fat curse when getting your picture taken by somebody else? maybe its just that shirt. either way, what the hell?

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Every photo my husband takes of me is grotesque. Truly, I look 50 lbs heavier. But, I can set my camera on the counter on timer, take one photo, and have it look a whole lot better than one my husband took.

Additionally, that shirt does you no favors. I have several shirts with large prints like that and they are very cruel. Finally tossed them all, they haven't quite made it out to the bin, but they're bagged up. Solid colors seem to be a lot more forgiving. I've always found that huge patterns made me look fattier.. Smaller prints or solids always seem to look a lot better on me.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Solid colors seem to be a lot more forgiving. I've always found that huge patterns made me look fattier.. Smaller prints or solids always seem to look a lot better on me.

I will take this advice! I bought that shirt for the rouching it had..hoping it would be forgiving of a rounded belly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well, the clothing on the left is very different, also it is more close up and fills the whole frame, so for those reasons I would say it appears bigger.

Regarding you being actually heavier in the pic on the right, that is very possible. If you work out a lot you may have lowered your body fat% and so you appear smaller at a heavier weight.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Every photo my husband takes of me is grotesque. Truly, I look 50 lbs heavier. But, I can set my camera on the counter on timer, take one photo, and have it look a whole lot better than one my husband took.

^^^ This.

My husband puts no thought into the pictures he takes of me, or worse of me with the kids - it's like he's trying to be all candid camera but I almost always have my mouth open, or eyes closed (or both). And I'm usually in my PJs as he likes to do these photo shoots first thing on week-end mornings
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Camera angle. If someone is taller than you and taking your pic, you'll look shorter. If the camera is at a lower angle, you'll look longer and leaner.

The good news is that the brain typically filters out the distortions caused by perspective in real life situations.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree that the clothing in the first picture doesn't help. I also believe that when we take pictures of ourselves, either with the phone/camera in our hands or on a timer somewhere, we make the picture we want. Other people can't see it as we want it.
  • Homer_z_Spartan
    Options
    It is because you are holding camera vertically......
  • WaylonGuitar
    WaylonGuitar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that when I photograph myself, I tend to be more cognizant of the pose im holding and tend to hold my head up higher, and suck my gut in....Because I'm self-policing my pose through the screen as I'm snapping the photo... When other people photograph me, I just seem to be snapped in my standard "slouching like a lump" pose. So, yeah, it happens to me too.