I need help...

Options
I hit my end goal weight of 130lbs in mid-September. Since then I have been consistently been hovering at 3-5lbs above this goal weight. I have not been at my goal weight since I first hit it. I don't know if I am eating enough or what, so I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out.

I am 5'4 and 27 years old (female). When I hit 130lbs, I switched to maintain which bumped me from 1200 cals/day to 1640 cals/day. I typically do not eat my exercise calories back; maybe once a week do I actually eat my exercise calories from that day. I work out 7 days a week. 3 days I run for 30-32 mins, the other 4 days I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Kickboxing DVDs for 20-30 mins each day depending on which video I do.

I want to know why I've essentially plateaued and basically cannot get that 3-5 pounds back off! I'm not good with TDEE, BMI and BMR so I don't fully understand how it all plays a part in this and what those numbers mean as far as how many calories I should be eating to lose the weight. I found some calculators and got these numbers: BMI = 23, BMR = 1409, TDEE = 2184-2430 (depended on what exercise option I chose).

I just don't know if I should increase the calories I eat each day to help get these few pounds off. I am petrified of gaining weight (back), so being told to eat more is confusing to me. I don't want to try increasing my calories per day (thinking that could jumpstart my weightloss) for a few weeks just to find it's caused me to gain weight so then I am even further from my goal weight.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions/advice?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just follow the directions.

Put your current weight and goal weight back into MFP. It will give you your calories.

Log everything.

Eat back your exercise calories.

I hit a low point weight for me and relaxed a little (even though I logged everything and was under my calories). And I gained a bit back. I personally think that even though I was logging I was undercounting a little and overeating a tad. Measure, measure, measure.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements changed? My guess is that you have gained a little muscle and not fat. It could be that your weight is not a good indicator of your fitness level like it used to be.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Is 3-5 lbs really that important? You will never reach 130 lbs and have your weight stay there. Weight fluctuates. That's how it works. Sometimes it's poop. Other times it's because you ate a lot the night before. Maybe sodium intake was high. Maybe it's hormonal.

I suggest eating at maintenance, lifting weights or doing whatever exercise you enjoy doing, and stop weighing yourself now. Use the mirror, not the scale.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I'd just follow the directions.

Put your current weight and goal weight back into MFP. It will give you your calories.

Log everything.

Eat back your exercise calories.

I hit a low point weight for me and relaxed a little (even though I logged everything and was under my calories). And I gained a bit back. I personally think that even though I was logging I was undercounting a little and overeating a tad. Measure, measure, measure.

This, plus start weight training. Even if you have small deficit, you should see body recomposition.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1409, TDEE = 2184-2430 (depended on what exercise option I chose).

BMR = Basal metabolic rate. This is what they would feed you in a coma to fuel your basic bodily functions.
    TDEE = BMR plus all of the activity you do in a day..... sleeping, getting up, moving around, going to work, doing your exercises, everything you need for energy all day. This is also called "Maintenance Calories" because it is the number where you wouldn't gain or lose any weight, it is the perfect balance of calories to your energy needs.

If you are only eating 1600, that is not enough. To lose your last 5 pounds, you should eat 10% less than your TDEE. So if 2184 is your TDEE, subtract 10% and you get 1966. Eventually as you get to your final goal weight, you should eat 2184 to maintain it.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Is 3-5 lbs really that important? You will never reach 130 lbs and have your weight stay there. Weight fluctuates. That's how it works. Sometimes it's poop. Other times it's because you ate a lot the night before. Maybe sodium intake was high. Maybe it's hormonal.

I suggest eating at maintenance, lifting weights or doing whatever exercise you enjoy doing, and stop weighing yourself now. Use the mirror, not the scale.

This. Only you see the scale and that number is a horrible judge anyway. Progress for body composition is better judged by the mirror. Weight can fluctuate +/- 5lbs daily and none of it is what you consider "permanent" weight.
  • AngelaJoy045
    AngelaJoy045 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Muscle weigh more than fat. That could be the problem.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than poop.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    So, you're not ACTUALLY eating at maintenance if you're not eating back your exercise calories. How long were you eating 1200 calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

And she isn't gaining any of it on a calorie deficit...
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Wrong. Muscle is more dense than fat. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of gold however there's going to be a heck of a lot more feathers than gold.
  • KellyAthleticsLLC
    KellyAthleticsLLC Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    reasons you might not be losing weight.
    1. assess the food you are eating -- calories are not always the reason. focus on eating more whole foods.
    2. nutrients you are getting - are you missing something from your diet? take multivitamin or supplement if you are lacking.
    3. cleansing can help get rid of toxins
    4. take multiple measurements - body fat %, circumference measurements, and the scale. don't always rely on the # cuz you could still be making improvements.

Add me i am a personal trainer and could help out
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1. assess the food you are eating -- calories are not always the reason. focus on eating more whole foods.
    2. nutrients you are getting - are you missing something from your diet? take multivitamin or supplement if you are lacking.
    4. take multiple measurements - body fat %, circumference measurements, and the scale. don't always rely on the # cuz you could still be making improvements.

please define "cleansing."
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Wrong. Muscle is more dense than fat. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of gold however there's going to be a heck of a lot more feathers than gold.

Maybe she's gaining feathers.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

please define "cleansing."
    I'm guessing she means scrubbing the garage floor to clean up an oil spill or summat...what else could it be?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Maybe she's gaining feathers.
    I almost spit out my skittlebrau on that one :laugh:
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    TDEE for your age, height and goal weight of 130 is about 1650, sedentary, so you are eating the right amount to maintain that but you should eat back your exercise calories. As other have said, weight loss in not linear and you don't hit 130 and then sit there forever. Your weight will fluctuate but it will not likely go over more than a pound or two due to water, poop, etc. Great job BTW!