Trying to Make a Lifestyle Change

Options
I'm a new member, but I'm so excited to be here!

As someone who has been overweight for most of my life, I have always just avoided the topic; when people around me started dieting, I would generally ignore them and then in spite I would eat whatever I wanted. It was a very self destructive behaviour, though at the time I really had no concept just how much I was hurting myself.

Instead of actively being aware and taking responsibility for my health and weight, I have generally always just done what I wanted and chose not to worry about it at all.

Then I stepped on the scale. In the beginning of October I had two big events coming up and I had to be sure not to gain an ounce - I was trying to be aware for the first time in my life, and when I stepped on the scale I literally cried. When I was last weighed (probably nearly 7 years ago) I was 220 pounds - my all time heaviest weight. In the beginning of October, I weighed 274 pounds.

I've since decided that the time for my immaturity was behind me; I have to take responsibility and make changes. Instead of undertaking a diet, what I'm trying to do is make a lifestyle change in which I integrate healthier foods (and awareness of my intake), more exercise, and fewer 'binges'. I have so far lost 25 pounds, though I have a long way to go.

I've set a deadline and a 'reward' should I be able to make it to my first goal to motivate myself, but in the interim what I could really use is a support system. If anyone has found themselves in a similar boat and has tips or tricks, or even just wants some moral support in return, I would love to hear from you!

It's so nice to find a community of people with similar goals, however we choose to work toward them.

Replies

• Linda_Kaye
    Options
    You sound a lot like me..lol
    Good luck reaching your goals!
    Add me for support if you'd like. :smile:
  • lovetoosiing
    Options
    I am in the same sinking boat smh....I am so ready to be where I was before I had my son...I am tired of hating the way I look...so yes add me im on board. You support me and I will support you :) We gotta do this!!!:smile:
  • Carrington2491
    Options
    I'm kinda new here as well, and support is always a good thing. Everyone feel free to add
  • Megzfitlog
    Options
    Newer here too. Add if you'd like. Any and all support helps.
  • afatwomanonamission
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I've sent out a few adds so far (I'm really still quite slow at all of this!) I stumbled upon this board because today was one of the days where I felt my dedication flagging a bit, and I hated that feeling. I'm looking forward to getting to 'know' some of you and being able to swap tips and tricks, as well of course as support. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to add me feel free to :) Best of luck to all of us!!!!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    You can do it!

I am finally taking control too! I knew my weight was going up and up, that I had to buy bigger clothes and that I was unhappy and unfit but didn't do anything about it!

Now I am and I am so excited!