Need a vitamin...any suggestions?

Options
ICarla
ICarla Posts: 200 Member
I need a good vitamin. Any suggestions? I am always fatigued. No matter how many hours of sleep I get. I need a good vitamin!! I have not taken vitamins since the Flinstones kids and I'm totally out of the loop.

Replies

• Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I use Twinlab Multivitamin and Minerals + Omega 3 + Vitamin C + Fiber. BTW; the minerals are important. Also, check your own diary weekly and do an assessment to see if you are eating enough veggies, leafy greens, and protein.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There are SO many option!

I'd recommend that you start with a good multi vitamin and see if that helps your energy levels There are a number of them geared for women too. I use the Womens Ultra Mega something-or-other from GNC, with no iodine (because I'm allergic to shellfish and therefore will react to a buildup of iodine), but I'm sure you can ask at any vitamin store for a recommendation.
  • iJiVE
    iJiVE Posts: 20
    Options
    I'd like to get on a new multi-vitamin, any good ones that aren't pricey? Drop some names!!
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Walk into any grocery store/Target/Walmart/etc and buy the cheapest off brand one-a-day. I get 100 tablets for about $6, because I buy the cheapest brand. They all have the same stuff in them, just different fillers. Check the labels to be sure. The only reason not to buy the store brand multi is if you're looking for something more specialized than a one-a-day, or if you're allergic to the fillers in a specific brand.
  • iJiVE
    iJiVE Posts: 20
    Options
    Walk into any grocery store/Target/Walmart/etc and buy the cheapest off brand one-a-day. I get 100 tablets for about $6, because I buy the cheapest brand. They all have the same stuff in them, just different fillers. Check the labels to be sure. The only reason not to buy the store brand multi is if you're looking for something more specialized than a one-a-day, or if you're allergic to the fillers in a specific brand.

I went to a Reiki healer the other day. She warned about using cheap vitamins. Especially ones that have calcium carbonate. Was looking for something a bit more authentic.
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Nature Made. Stores like CVS regularly offer B1G1 free offers and they have a rewards program to earn high-dollar coupons.
  • luvsbks
    Options
    I use Nature Made also! I also like GNC vitamins

Mary
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Rainbow Light Women's One (as in one-a-day). It is SO gentle on the stomach, you can even take it without food. It's very balanced, and vegetarian! I have never loved a vitamin as much as this one, other than the super pricey New Chapter ones. I think it was like $9 for 50 tablets and available at my regular grocery store.
  • samlankford
    Options
    yup generic multi vitamin from target!!! but I agree, make sure that your eating enough veggies and fruit.. if you are able MAYBE see about getting some blood work done? I get mine done every few months to make sure my liver is not rejecting my MS meds, dr orders a full metabolic profile, says I am getting stabbed anyway so might as well:bigsmile:
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    While a good multivitamin is a great start, if your fatigue doesn't lift perhaps a visit to the Dr. would be in order.... Just sayin'. :smile:

Oops! I forgot to add that I use Centrum. :)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I went to a Reiki healer the other day. She warned about using cheap vitamins. Especially ones that have calcium carbonate. Was looking for something a bit more authentic.

What is a Reiki healer, and what expertise do they have with nutrition and vitamins? I agree that calcium carbonate isn't the best form of calcium to take, but I've seen studies and a Consumer Reports article that said supermarket multivitamin/mineral tabs are just as good as the expensive name brand ones.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I would go get some blood work done, just to make sure you're not anemic or something. You may need an iron supplement also. I take a multi vitamin, 2000 mg of D3, 1000 B12 and 650mg of iron. This was all prescribed by my Dr. Let me tell you, I can tell when I don't take something. Good luck.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    its so easy to spend a fortune in this area, I just keep it simple. This is what I take every morning....

Generic version of Centrum Men Under 50

Generic 5000IU Vitamin D - I do this because I live in the Pacific Northwest and don't see the sun for about nine months a year. It really helps.

Metamucil

Protein shake mixed with water and a half cup of mixed berries. (I used to do yogurt, milk, banana, but that make them way to high in sugars)
  • portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Many of us with a few extra pounds have sleep issues. I strongly suggest a sleep study. I was able to lose weight once I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Now I use my CPAP and only require 7 hours of sleep a night, and no naps during the day. More energy, and I no longer need to worry about dying in my sleep. To answer your question, I do take a multi-vitamin. Lowering my calories, I saw in my tracking that I wasn't getting my suggested vitamin requirement.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    GNC women's active metabolism. But make sure you take it on a full stomach or you might puke!
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Alive liquid multivitamin. It has some of EVERYTHING and it more than meets a lot of the daily percentage numbers.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I take centrum multivitamin for women under twenty.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I go to Kmart/Walmart/Target/Meijer and get their brand of the one-a-day women's formula. Compare that to Centrum. It's the EXACT same thing.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I need a good vitamin. Any suggestions? I am always fatigued. No matter how many hours of sleep I get. I need a good vitamin!! I have not taken vitamins since the Flinstones kids and I'm totally out of the loop.

Go to the doctor and look at your food diary. You should be getting your vitamins from your food. Chances are your vitamin D is low. Get a blood test and have the doctor recomment a supplement for you.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    GNC women's active metabolism. But make sure you take it on a full stomach or you might puke!

Vitamins in general make me throw up. I found taking them at night makes me not throw up.