Women and lifting heavy

Options

Replies

• superkel317
    Options
    It's relative, and progressive. What was heavy for me six months ago isn't heavy anymore.

Yup what she said. If you finish a a set of 10 reps and say to yourself I could have done more. It isn't heavy enough. If at rep 9 you are going come on I can do this and rep 10 you are struggling but can do it I say you are good. Try a little more weight each time. Sometimes you won't be able to go up, especially arms excercises, at least in my experience, but that is ok. Push yourself and show the boys how its done!

Love this! I'll definitely be showing them boys how it's done! ;)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    what are 15 pound dumbbells considered?

Depends on the lift and depends on the lifter.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Funny, I had this same question about 7 months ago. But as many have said Heavy is relative to you. If you can only lift 15 lbs overhead with PROPER form for 5-7 reps then you are lifting what is heavy for you. 10+ reps tends to get more into endurance but will produce results as well.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    the bench marks you should be aiming for are: 35 push ups in a row, 5 pull ups in a row, Bench press .75 your body weight 10 times, Press 75% of your body weight overhead 5 times, Deadlift 1.5 times your body weight 5 times, Squat your body weight 10 times.

where you start is dependant on your current strength level.

::Like:: Of course Danny is right with the numbers aspect here if you are looking for an actual number.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    the bench marks you should be aiming for are: 35 push ups in a row, 5 pull ups in a row, Bench press .75 your body weight 10 times, Press 75% of your body weight overhead 5 times, Deadlift 1.5 times your body weight 5 times, Squat your body weight 10 times.

Where did you get these bench marks? Interested, not attacking! :)
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    as others have said it is relative to you, what you start with becomes too light eventually and it also depends on the area of focus. I can squat a hell of a lot more than I can shoulder press. and I can squat over double what I could when I started about 8 weeks ago....just mess around and try it where you think you should start and you will probably find you can lift more...we tend to underestimate I think.

Have fun with it...I LOVE lifting!
  • Maria_T007
    Options
    bump
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/02/23/a-newbies-guide-to-nerd-fitness/

i found them, and they look pretty right.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Heavy is what's heavy to you. Always use proper form for the exercises. Practise without weights by a mirror if you are learning from books / online vids, or get a trainer. A set of adjustable dumbbells is a great way to start if you are exercising at home.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Heavy is what's heavy to you. Always use proper form for the exercises. Practise without weights by a mirror if you are learning from books / online vids, or get a trainer. A set of adjustable dumbbells is a great way to start if you are exercising at home.

This is very good advice. It does no good and can do a lot of harm if you lift beyond your capabilities and with bad form. Just ask anyone who has torn a rotator cuff muscle flinging too much weight up. I see this all the time with people trying to muscle up more weight than they can handle so their form is atrocious and they use more momentum than actual strength.:noway:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Good luck with the 5 pull-ups in a a row. I know many fit men that can't even do 1 lol!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Good luck with the 5 pull-ups in a a row. I know many fit men that can't even do 1 lol!

my max is 16 in a row.

i'm aiming for 21 in a row.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

The overhead press seems awfully difficult compared to the squat target and the pull-ups...well, those are just freaking hard!
  • superkel317
    Options

Hahahaha No kidding! I definitely can't do 1 pull up at this point & 35 push ups seems like forever away. Lol I will get there, though!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

The overhead press seems awfully difficult compared to the squat target and the pull-ups...well, those are just freaking hard!

they're suggested benchmarks.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Hahahaha No kidding! I definitely can't do 1 pull up at this point & 35 push ups seems like forever away. Lol I will get there, though!

then those can be long term goals.

aim for 10 push ups in a row and 1 dead hang pull up.

then double it.

then again.

then again.

then again.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I had no idea what I should be aiming for and I was staying too light because I was worried about it.

Don't worry, Auntie Corvus Corax has yer back:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • superkel317
    Options

then those can be long term goals.

aim for 10 push ups in a row and 1 dead hang pull up.

then double it.

then again.

then again.

then again.

Sounds like a solid plan. Thanks for the advice!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Oh! I should specify that the link I posted above is for One Rep Max....

So here's the strenght standards: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

And here's the ORM calculator: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

Dominate & Destroy!!!!!!!!!!!!!