Sore, bloody nipples

Options
So apparently having sore, bloody nipples when running is a thing. Found out this morning when I got back to the house to take a shower and I had red streaks down my shirt after running. Embarrassing. My nipples weren't bleeding so it seemed mysterious.

I searched online and apparently the chafing creates this pain and agony. (OK, that may be a bit too strong of a word.)

I can now at least empathize with my wife for having breast fed for months.

Anyone else have this?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Little round band-aids (from Rite-Aid) are your friend! Don't leave home without them.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Is this for real? Yikes!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Definitely use the bandaids to get better. I also choose shirts that have softer fabrics and found that tighter fitting shirts (for me at least) minimizes the rubbing and irritation.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Oh god.....that made me cringe just reading it! :noway:
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yeah, it is a real thing, just use plasters/bandaids or my faverate is before you startyour run use vasaline on your 'problem' areas... for me it was always the vents in my bra slather on the vasaline and you will be golden
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Need pics to be sure
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Avoid cotton shirts and get some dry fit ones. Buy some body glide and ditto on the band aids.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yeah. And chaffing and runner's toe... all part of the learning curve. Vaseline and Dry-Fit shirts.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've had this. Rub solid antiperspirant on your nipples and other rub spots and no worries. Sounds weird but it works like a charm! Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Stand at the finish line of any big city marathon, there will be some bloody man-nip dudes running in.

This is a mistake that people only make ONCE!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My husband ran with me two days in a row... chafed nipples, no blood. So, yeah it seems to be an issue. I'd try the bandaids if I were you. Or something similar. I've not experienced any chafing yet.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Can't read 'bloody nipples' without thinking about this episode of The Office

fall-tv-the-office-season-4-spoilers_fun-run_jim_pam_kevin_andy_michael.jpg?w=400
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Stand at the finish line of any big city marathon, there will be some bloody man-nip dudes running in.

This is a mistake that people only make ONCE!

It's the shower afterwards that is a b@*ch!!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    My husband gets this at work just from sweating so much & the type of job.. he is so active in his job.. he burns nearly 8000 calories a day!! (Per HRM!!)

You can get an anti-chafing bar from Gold Bond.. looks just like deoderant. put that on ya nips before you run. Works like a charm!

He has also gotten relief from under armour shirts & boxer briefs. :drinker:
  • coreyh74
    Options
    I used to have this happen to me, and then I went and bought a compression shirt from Under Armour. Problem solved!
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Joggers nipple.......not good ;-(
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Have a really good friend rub lotion on them.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've had this. Rub solid antiperspirant on your nipples and other rub spots and no worries. Sounds weird but it works like a charm! Good luck!

Please don't do this one. Even the vaseline is a better idea, though I'd rather use an edible lubricant (no I'm not being weird, I avoid toxic stuff).
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've not experienced any chafing yet.

Because you wear a bra, he doesn't.