kale chips .. thoughts??

Options

Replies

• yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I JUST made some for an after dinner snack. I like to make a "salt & vinegar" kind with apple cider vin & a little olive oil topped with sea salt. YUM!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I tried making them once. I will try again. I used too much salt and think I didn't cook them long enough. They were "rubbery" for lack of a better word but the too much salt was the killer. I misted with olive oil and sprinkled with (too much) sea salt. Then I talked to my sister who raises lots of veggies in her garden and her suggestion was to try and find a different variety of kale....some are much tougher than others. so far, all I've been able to find is the tough kind.

I can't see how they would ever taste like potato chips.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    i've heard ton of raves about kale , im thinking about making kale chips .. any thoughts ??

love / hate them?
    r they like potato chips ? what do they taste like?

thnks !
    I made them for the first time the other night and we loved them here. I cut the spines out mixed up some olive oil with garlic/black pepper in a ziplock bag, put the kale in the bag shook it up, then spread out on a pan and baked for 10 minutes at 350. Came out great. This weekend we'll be trying some with old bay and another batch with chilli powder.

THIS^^
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My family loves kale chips- even the picky kids. Olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic. Sooo good!
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me that I need to try this Kale chip recipe...

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/kale-chips-w-sriracha-lime.html

Anything with sriracha has to be delicious right?
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I wanted to like them, but ewww! Stinky and gross...right in the garbage!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    bleah. Did not like. Eggplant chips were WAY better.
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    I've only successfully made kale chips once, haha. And I've tried 5+ times. But they're really good even if you mess up. A little salt and parmesan cheese makes them perfect. And the kale turns salty when it's baked so it can totally satisfy salt cravings.
  • StephJB1221
    Options
    I love them!! Might be weird at first for someone picky but I'm not picky ...and perfect to curve my crunch and salty craving!! Nothing hurts wit tryin :)
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    i've heard ton of raves about kale , im thinking about making kale chips .. any thoughts ??

love / hate them?
    r they like potato chips ? what do they taste like?

thnks !

looooove them!!!!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yum! The other day I chopped them fine to put them on top of my BBQ Chicken Pizza, Do watch them closely though as they do burn quick. In salads a nice citrus dressing is best.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Delicious, and you can never ever make enough. Store bought kale chips are too expensive. I like mine best when tossed with nutritional yeast or parmesan to make em cheezy.

The key with Kale chips is DON'T BURN THEM. They burn really easily and don't necessarily turn black, so you have to keep checking on them near the end. When they're overdone they taste kind of bitter and gross.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love them! Sometimes it is like the Jays potato chip saying "you can't eat just one". To many of them can cause bloat and gas pains.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think the tricks to great kale chips are: 1) be sure that you dry the leaves thoroughly after you wash the kale. 2) lghtly oil, but do NOT salt them before baking 3) spread them out on the pan in a single layer 4) bake at 175 - 200 or 30 or more minutes until crispy, 5) Salt AFTER you bake.
  • jemjemsh
    jemjemsh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Love them! I put the oven on the lowest heat possible and cook them for 30mins or more depending on how wet with sauce they were when they went in. I tried at a higher heat but they had a different burnt taste that was bleah.

I find you don't need oil at all to cook them, I mix together whatever toppings I want - lemon juice, salt, miso paste and nutritional yeast is a favourite, or nutritional yeast and cajun spices (nutritional yeast is cheesy tasting). If it's all dry toppings I add a little water so the kale gets coated better, then mix toppings and kale together so each piece of kale is coated thoroughly. Don't overcrowd the baking tray and you can't really go wrong. I like mine still a tiny bit chewy. I have got my whole family addicted to them!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Our whole family loves them-- even the picky eaters. Kale chips might be my son's favorite way to eat vegetables.

They are thinner and crumble more easily than potato chips, but they are crispy and delicious all the same. I usually make two big cookie sheets of them at a time and we snarf them all within minutes.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Kale is pretty cheap, get some and try it. I love them personally but that doesn't mean you will.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    LOL I told you you would like them, SilverLotusGirl! I like kale any way I can get it personallly.
    Kale is pretty cheap, get some and try it. I love them personally but that doesn't mean you will.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I will also agree...Not potato chips...very light...but it does satisfy that desire for a salty crunch...

And I make a batch and everyone has their hands grabbing some in my house even the 4 kids....which is a bonus(and a negative...lol)
  • newjuli2012
    Options
    bleah. Did not like. Eggplant chips were WAY better.

egg plant chips ?? recipe please?? how long do they last in a ziploc bag? i looovveee eggplant !