Protein shakes make you gain weight?!

Options

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Some 'protein' shakes are stuffed full of high glycaemic index carbs which won't do your weight any favours - read the ingredients list and macronutrient breakdown carefully. I have seen products that are basically gainer (protein plus carbs) misleadingly labelled as protein powder. Females generally need a lower portion than guys, if you overeat at one sitting or through the day as a whole you obviously can gain bodyfat.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The powder I have CAN make you gain weight, it depends on how you use it. If you're using it in milk, yogurt, adding peanut butter, etc, those are meant for builders who want to gain a lot of weight and muscle. If you're using skim milk or water, that's where you're just getting the protein and not the extra fat.

I'm using Body Fortress, in case anyone was wondering.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm counting them into my caloric intake 3 people have told me they make you gain weight? Is that true???

A membership to MFP comes with an automatic degree in nutrition and nonsense.

This is probably based on the misconception that the only people who drink protein shakes are meatheads who are here to buff ... you up. Everyone else has covered that it's silly. My question is, did you ask them for their opinion or did they peruse your diary and decide to mess with your head on their own?

actually it was 3 co workers who saw me drinking my morning shake and decided to give me their worthless two cents on it. I use Jillian Michaels brand with PB2 and fat free milk. They are my breakfast. 360 cals and kep me full ntil my mid morning snack. I only consume 1200 cals a day and even my nutritionist and dietician said they are a great source of protein.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Sadly loads of false information is widely spread, and thus believed. It's thanks to people like those three that people go on weird diets.

it's funny you say that lol one of them is taking Durian pills, that nasty fruit from China? And that's all shes "eating". Yup you're right!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    if you overeat at one sitting or through the day as a whole you obviously can gain bodyfat.

Throughout the day, yes.
    One sitting, no.

You could literally eat all your food in one sitting and if your total calorie intake is appropriate (caloric deficit for weight loss) you will still lose. Eating an entire days worth of calories in 1 meal will cause fat storage to go up after the meal and fat oxidation to go down, however you have to consider that, by definition, if you're eating all of your food in 1 meal you're also spending a good portion of time (the rest of the day/night) without food. In that condition, fat storage goes down and fat oxidation goes up.

The difference between fat oxidation and fat storage is what matters. This is determined by energy balance.

Big picture is important. Short term is not.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    if you overeat at one sitting or through the day as a whole you obviously can gain bodyfat.

Throughout the day, yes.
    One sitting, no.

You could literally eat all your food in one sitting and if your total calorie intake is appropriate (caloric deficit for weight loss) you will still lose. Eating an entire days worth of calories in 1 meal will cause fat storage to go up after the meal and fat oxidation to go down, however you have to consider that, by definition, if you're eating all of your food in 1 meal you're also spending a good portion of time (the rest of the day/night) without food. In that condition, fat storage goes down and fat oxidation goes up.

The difference between fat oxidation and fat storage is what matters. This is determined by energy balance.

QFT. The only way to gain is to consume more calories than your using.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The powder I have CAN make you gain weight, it depends on how you use it. If you're using it in milk, yogurt, adding peanut butter, etc, those are meant for builders who want to gain a lot of weight and muscle. If you're using skim milk or water, that's where you're just getting the protein and not the extra fat.

I'm using Body Fortress, in case anyone was wondering.
    Think about this for a minute - it's not the powder itself that can make you gain weight, it's all the extra "stuff" one could put into the shake, which add up to more calories. The same could be said of any food. A chicken breast is 150 calories - if you mix it with pasta and cover it with alfredo sauce, the calorie count is going to be much higher - no mystery about that. Again, protein powder is no different than any other kind of food.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Dammit no wonder im gaining all this weight, i use so many protein shakes!!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    NO they don't! I have about 5 per week as I struggle to get enough protein in my diet, who doesn't?!. See my ticker, I'm almost at goal and I have been drinking them for many, many months. It's simple, calories are calories, that is all! Eat at a deficit, bust your butt in the gym and voila there is the magic.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started my journey 2 years ago, with the only change was a diet type protein shake for breakfast...I still went out to dinner a couple times a week, and DID NOT ORDER SALADS, I don't do well with fresh raw vegies (sensitive stomach)....before I started here on MFP I lost 29 lbs this way...I mix it with water, it's soy based, 120 cals per serving and 18 gr of protein...it is a complete meal replacement with 1/3 the recommended daily amounts of all nutrients...plus ALL ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS...I have steadily lost without any problems (I have a lifelong issue with allergies tho, and might possibly have Celiac...we're checking that now)..it is gluten free, if anyone needs to know....at this time, I have lost 35 lbs...this mixed with water tastes very yummy, unlike others I have tried...it comes in chocolate and vanilla only...it is made by GNLD and is not in stores...it is sold by distributers or you can google it on the internet...if you spend the $50 to become a distributer (you don't have to sell if you don't want to) you will get a 25% discount..if you buy by the case, you get 6 for the price of 5....I love this product line...all is perfectly clean and gluten free for anyone sensitive....they have been around for 50 years and are all over the world.....
  • mfbonafide
    mfbonafide Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started using Almond Milk that comes in a variety of products that range from 30 calories per cup to 120 for other varieties. I like to use the chocolate for 90 calories a cup with the chocolate shake. Sometimes I use original unsweetened for 30 calories. The carbs are low and calcium is high, which I need.
    Just a suggestions to keep the calorie count of the shake down while getting the most in the shake. Muscle weighs more than fat. But the shakes do not make you gain weight, only maintain or build muscle. I will take muscle over fat any day.

I agree with the calories burned vs eaten concept as the best method to lose pounds.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a lower carb plan so I drink the Atkins Advantage shakes that are low carb most mornings for breakfast. I'm not big on eating early in the morning so it is easier to drink a quick shake. I've lost 35 lbs. so far :)

I love those too. If you mix a strawberry flavor drink with a cup of frozen sliced strawberries in a blender it makes a huge, amazing frozen smoothie! And only adds 50 cals for the strawberries.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It depends on which type and what they are made of. What I mean is if you eat ones filled with "junk" they might be hard to umh... process (not to be gross) and stay in our system a bit and instead of gaining weight, you're not "removing" them from your system. Other than that, calories are calories.

I use Isopure mixed in water because it's low carb but eat "clean" the rest of my meals.

Something I've found is to RESEARCH for yourself, kinds how you did here, and don't just listen to anyone. I started in January and have learned so much.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Throughout the day, yes.
    One sitting, no.

I said CAN not WILL so suspect you are not actually disputing what you think you are disputing. My post was based on my understanding of the published literature and I stand by it.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    if you do not exercise and you consume plenty of protein shakes, you will gain weight because if protein is not utilized by the body it will be stored as fat. and also if you consume too much protein shakes, you will go over your daily caloric intake which will also make you gain weight. one serving of protein shake can be from 110 to 300 calories, depending on the servings you take.
  • Artests
    Artests Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A membership to MFP comes with an automatic degree in nutrition and nonsense.

Lol well said!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    if you do not exercise and you consume plenty of protein shakes, you will gain weight because if protein is not utilized by the body it will be stored as fat....
    I would absolutely LOVE to see scientific (not broscience) proof that protein is converted into stored fat while in a caloric deficit. Please elaborate.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    , calories are calories.

I use Isopure mixed in water because it's low carb but eat "clean" the rest of my meals.

Something I've found is to RESEARCH for yourself, kinds how you did here, and don't just listen to anyone. I started in January and have learned so much.

Good luck to you on your journey!

^^^^ THIS
    I also use Isopure - it is lo carb and I have a two scoop shake (220 calories) and add either a large banana (120 calories) or a cup of strawberries and a half cup of pineapple (about 120 calories). I mix with water and ice. For my daily caloric intake needs (1750) it makes a perfect snack and keeps me full all afternoon. Oh, and two scoops has 50g of protein. (I saw it at GNC for $20 for a 1 pound bag, but just bought a 7.5 pound tub from Amazon for $85)

So, like most others have said, eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Drink 5 shakes a day and have all your meals, then you will probably gain. lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Caloric surplus makes you gain weight
  • Hulk0511
    Hulk0511 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 everyday sometimes 3 they dont know what they are talking about