Way below calorie Req, but not hungry, what gives?

Options
2»

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    If your constantly eating under then you need to increase the calories at the meals you do eat. If you can only eat 2 or 3 times, then find ways of making some high calories meals. Not getting enough calories will do more harm than good if your way under.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How is his metabolism shutting down? - he has only been on a calorie deficit for a few weeks. And your metabolism does not shut down until you are dead and really has nothing to do with hunger signals. The context you are using starvation mode in is totally wrong. Your metabolism isn't even impacted for 72 hours. There is nothing rev up, kick start or stoke.

There is no reason to eat multiple times a day unless that helps with energy or with adherence. There is no engine to start and eating early has no impact on your metabolism versus eating later, calories and macros being constant. It may be beneficial to the OP to get enough food in but it has nothing to do with your metabolism.

Regarding drinking water - there is no science behind your suggestion. You only need to pay attention to thirst and to pee color.

Whether there is no science behind it or not, it worked for me and it would be worth a try for any one who isn't feeling hungry through out the day. I got the advice to eat as soon as I wake up from my dietitian. I never used to feel hungry in the mornings, and only ever ate at dinner, but ever since I started eating breakfast, I have felt hungry through out the day, have had more energy and have lost weight.

It may have worked for you and I did not say that it may not work for the OP to be able to eat more and said it may be beneficial. Also, I also get hungry if I eat breakfast, which is why I do not do it. I just pointed out the things that are incorrect from a physiological perspective.

Edited to fix quotes
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

As to your original question, I looked at your diary and you are eating enough. I wouldn't worry until you reach 6% BF.

Ignore this advice
  • trixietime
    Options
    Hi, Just looked at your Diary, too. You probably need to up the calories, to get back on track with hunger. You never want to skip meals, especially breakfast. A male friend of mine was doing an app like this and accidentally put himself in a a woman (lol) and his calories were ridiculously low -- he didn't really lose much. Once he fixed that mistake and started eating for the correct goal (500 more calories,) he started losing 2lbs a week steadily and felt so much better physically.

If anything, you can add some cheese to a sandwich here or there, or add a side salad, or hard boiled egg, to get into the safe realm. Women aren't supposed to go under 1,200 calories daily, to be safe. And men are a bit higher than that. Going too low everyday could also be counter-productive and unsustainable in the long run. Looks like you got some great advice here already! You're doing a great job so far, just be sure to have breakfast (my favorite meal.)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand it. Apparently I am eating way below my calorie requirements. I just don't feel hungry. I eat 2-3 times a day.

I read about the starvation mode thing and all but wouldnt my body indicate it is hungry and in need of food if that were the case? When I do get a little hunger thing I just eat an orange or something and I'm good until the next meal.

Anyone else experiencing this? Am I doing it all wrong? I just can't stand the idea of eating when i'm not hungry.

That happens to me sometimes. I might go 5-10 days where I'm coming in 200-300 calories under. Like you, I don't want to force feed myself if I'm not hungry. However, I always have hungry days, sometimes several in a row. And that's where I make up the difference :bigsmile: It's gotten so predictable at this point, that I've quit worrying about coming in under that often.

Interesting thing I've noticed since I starting weighing every day: My weight will stay right around the same number during the lower cal days and the day after I make up the difference is when I'll have the big drop in weight for the week.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just looked at your Diary, too. You probably need to up the calories, to get back on track with hunger. You never want to skip meals, especially breakfast. A male friend of mine was doing an app like this and accidentally put himself in a a woman (lol) and his calories were ridiculously low -- he didn't really lose much. Once he fixed that mistake and started eating for the correct goal (500 more calories,) he started losing 2lbs a week steadily and felt so much better physically.

If anything, you can add some cheese to a sandwich here or there, or add a side salad, or hard boiled egg, to get into the safe realm. Women aren't supposed to go under 1,200 calories daily, to be safe. And men are a bit higher than that. Going too low everyday could also be counter-productive and unsustainable in the long run. Looks like you got some great advice here already! You're doing a great job so far, just be sure to have breakfast (my favorite meal.)

i have coffee for breakfast...save my calories for a little later in the day...whatever works for you
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    • EAT MORE FREQUENTLY! You should have 5-6 small "grazing" meals throughout the day. More if you exercise heavily.
    • Eat within 1 hour of waking up. No excuses. This starts the engine for the day.

LOL....no....

Also,
    metabolisms don't need to be "kick started", "jump started", or any other Dr. Oz style buzzword of the week. They don't "stop". If they did, you would be dead.

Total calorie intake over a 24 hour period is all that matters.

No need to eat when you wake up, no need to stop a certain amount of time before bed, it's all irrelevant.

Stop perpetuating the nonsense.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would see an endocrinologist as well