breastfeeding & weight loss

Options
I'm new...don't have a ton of weight to lose, just to my "dream weight". I'm actually lower than my prepregnancy weight, so there's no pressure.
In any case, I'm still breastfeeding my 13 month-old twins, and wondering where to account for that on the site. I know it's burning up a ton of calories, though I'm only down to 2 times a day now.

thx

Replies

• arasm
    arasm Posts: 65
    Options
    I wouldn't even think about calorie restrictions while your still breast feeding. Not a good idea. Just eat right and cut out any and all junk food.
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can just change your goal settings and add the extra calories. When I was breastfeeding I added an extra 300-500 calories per day to my daily goal (300 when I was starting to wean).
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    You can just change your goal settings and add the extra calories. When I was breastfeeding I added an extra 300-500 calories per day to my daily goal (300 when I was starting to wean).

i agree! so many women think they can eat whatever they want BECAUSE they're pregnant or breast feeding, and it just isn't so (unfortunately, since we would deserve that, right??!!?). it's a good idea to count calories, that way you know you're getting enough, but not too much. and kudos to you for still BFing those twins...good gawd...thankfully my monster was finished with me 2 weeks before he turned one!!!
  • 3littlegirls
    Options
    With 2 feedings a day (though times 2), i would add about 300 calories and adjust as needed (if you feel a drop in supply).

And good for you for breastfeeding your twins for over year. You should be so proud of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • birgithooker
    Options
    When I breastfed my son, I added it as an personal exercise. I added breastfeeding and put in that for, I think I figured 8 fifteen minute feedings a day. So for total minutes I put in 120 minutes and total calories burned I put in 500 calories because that is what I read online. If you exclusively breastfeed, which I did, you burn on the low end 500 calories. Then when I would feed my son, I would choose that exercise and change the minutes to what I actually fed him. So if his feeding was 20 minutes, I would change the minutes to 20 and myfitnesspal would calculate the calories burned based on what I had set the exercise to. And I adjusted my calories to allow 1800 calories a day becuase again, I read that for a breastfeeding mom, that is the minimum amount of calories you should eat. Hope that helps.