I think I'm preparing to hibernate...

Options
Help me!

It is now definitely winter, and my weight-loss efforts have stalled! I've fallen into the usual cold-weather thing of craving sugar and chocolate, and my motivation has disappeared.

Also I can't go out running or do my 30DS as I'm in the middle of a lupus flare and my joints are killing...I try to swim once a week but even that is bloody hard work and I can barely climb out of the pool at the end.

Any tips for how to increase my willpower and get back on track, especially over Christmas and New Year, where there's goodies everywhere?

Replies

• Sondrasr
    Options
    I think with lupus or any other auto immune disease it is easy to hibernate. I know I have in the past. I have found that even gentle stretching has helped when I am in a flare. I find that once I exercise even stretch or yoga for the day it helps loosen my joins and helps me feel better. I know it's hard but I would try to push through and go to the pool. I struggle at times at times to the gym or pool too but I I know I will feel so much better later. Feel free to add me if you old like.

Also i think all cakes and cookies in Moderation is the key.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sondrasr :) As you know I've now added you!

What sort of stretches do you do?

I used to do pilates but there isn't a class near me now that I can get to. There is a yoga class, I think, but I'm not sure what kind of yoga it is...hatha maybe? I know it's a 'beginners' class, so would probably be suitable.

Before I was diagnosed I would make myself go for 5k or 10k runs, and thought that the pain for days afterwards was normal...even when my knees couldn't support me!! Usually the pains are in my smaller joints, but when I push myself it goes into my hips, knees, and shoulders too. I went tenpin bowling the other night and can barely move my right arm now!

I think with the diagnosis being recent, it has thrown me for a loop, and I'm trying to get used to being more careful about things...I'm still in a bit of denial, I suppose, I am semi-expecting to be told at my appointment in a couple of weeks that they made a mistake and there's nothing wrong with me! It's not helping with the comfort-eating, anyway ;)