Beet juice

Options
sannsk
sannsk Posts: 203 Member
I've been hearing that Beet Juice is like the superfood among superfoods,

A study led by the University of Exeter, published in 2009 in the "Journal of Applied Physiology," reported that beet juice may have the most benefits when it comes to improving athletic stamina. Not only has beet juice been found to help boost athletic performance, but the vegetable has also been linked to helping those with lung and heart problems and aiding in general overall health.

The Exeter-led study pointed to the benefits of nitrates, concluding that they boost a cyclists's endurance by 16 percent. Nitrates are helpful to athletes because they quickly bring oxygen to muscles, essentially making the hard efforts easier.
Athletes aren't the only ones that benefit from nitrates. Elderly people and those with lung, heart and metabolic disease could also benefit from the increased oxygen that nitrates supply to the body.

Beet juice, which is high in potassium, can help regulate fluid levels and balance electrolytes. Beet juice is also an effective anti-inflammatory because it contains betaine. This can help reduce an athlete's risk of chronic inflammation and illness. It's also high in vitamins C, A, B1, B2 and B6.

(Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/475637-beet-juice-athletes/#ixzz2Dnhmu8UV)

Unfortunately, it tastes downright nasty when I drink it pure. Is there anyone who has been successful in adding this to recipes or blending it with other juices, so that the taste is somewhat improved?

Replies

• punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I almost bought beets the other day for juicing. Now I definitely want to try it. I imagine it would taste better with apple.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing Beetlejuice .. figured I needed to check it out.. nope, just beet juice lol

I think some drink pickle juice for similar reasons
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    +1 for nitrates
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to juice, but sometimes I order a beet carrot celery juice at a juice bar in town and it is quite a treat. I think the astringency of the celery really makes it. However, some people have a much higher sensitivity to the compound in beets that is described as earthy/wet basement.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I used to love my Grandma's picked beets as a kid but I have not had them in years. I also have not noticed them in the store except in cans...my question is which do you use? I have veggie/fruit smootihes several times a week and I'm always looking for new ideas to throw in the mix.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Beet, carrots, celery, and a little apple.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I don't own a juicer, so I would buy it bottled from the store. I guess I could buy beet juice, carrot juice and apple juice in an organic store and mix them at home :)
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try adding a bit carnation milk and/or almond Breeze vanilla
    With a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon ... It'll go down so much better and you'll actually want to drink it
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have actually been blending it, with several other veggies ..then heating it up in a saucepan..and eating it like a soup. It's really good! I use red pepper, green pepper, onion, and golden beets as well as red beets. I really enjoy it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I would rather just eat the beets. I love pickled beets.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I would rather just eat the beets. I love pickled beets.

I have never just earten a raw beet.. ever.. I can't bring myself to do it for some reason lol. it just seems weird.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Beet, carrots, celery, and a little apple.

You could a had a V8!

Why just the juice, and not whole fresh beets?????
    20-30 minutes in the pressure cooker, with a little
    seasalt, fresh cracked pepper, and balsamic rocks..
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kale/Beet salad is where it's at.
  • calimoma
    Options
    omg juice one beet with 2 oranges....delish!!!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The Bunnicula:

2 oz fresh beet juice
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1.5 oz vodka

Stir & serve over ice. Garnish with lemon twist. Tastes like health.

The Hippie Licker:

1 peeled raw beet, quartered
    3 tbsp hemp protein powder
    1/2 lemon, seeds and 1/2 of the peel removed

Blend together with ice until smooth, strain into pint glass. Tastes like lemony dirt!

Really, though, apple+lemon+ginger is your best bet if you don't like the funky dirt taste of beets, it covers up a lot of yuck. I blend my own, but you could probably get all those already in liquid form.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    beet juice
    beet juice
    beet juice

<looks around and waits>

Nope..nothing happened.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing Beetlejuice .. figured I needed to check it out.. nope, just beet juice lol

Okay, so I'm not the only one...
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    :wink: What's your favourite vegetable?

(pause)...

I like beets beets beets beets beets beets beets!

anyway, yes I love beet juice and had beets for lunch today :)
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ginger w/ Beets...yummy!

I love the golden beets when they are in seaseon. I often slice them and throw them on the grill with just a pinch of olive oil and salt. Otherwise, I have been known to eat them right out of a can when the fresh ones are not available. I also love beets on a salad with some walnuts, sliced apples and goats cheese...the best!
  • jahenry17
    jahenry17 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great recipes that have beets in them on rebootwithjoe.com

This is the website that coresponds with the movie "Fat sick and nearly dead". All whole foods and fresh juices