Valentine's Day dinner idea

Options
lilangel7671
lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody had a great fairly simple recipe for a valentine's day dinner. My bf and I have decided to make something together, and I guess it's up to me to decide (he will eat whatever!:laugh: ) I have been searching but nothing has really caught my attention too much...or they seem too complicated. I want it to be quick/easy enough so that we can enjoy the time together:smile: Thanks!

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Maybe Chili or Enchiladas? I have a great recipe for both if you are interested.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Maybe Chili or Enchiladas? I have a great recipe for both if you are interested.

I would be interested in your enchilada recipe!! :)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas

First fry up lean ground beef (you can not do this part if you don't want meat in yours)

While that is frying mix together 2 cans of enchilada sauce and 2 cans of cream and mushroom soup and a tbps of salsa (give or take) into a mixing bowl.

Once the meat is fried pour the contents of the bowl in with the meat (set to medium low and stir once in awhile) you will let this cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Then take flour torillas (i used the 6 inch kind) and warm them in a microwave. Simple put cheese and whatever other veggies you like (onions, peppers) inside a tortilla and roll it up.

Then stick it in the sauce and the meat and cover the tortilla with the sauce. (you do this for all of your shells). Let them cook for 5 minutes.

YOU ARE DONE, they are so yummy!

You can usually make 10-12 with the amount that I have given you. You can have 2 enchiladas with sauce and 1 serving of tortilla chips for about 600 calories.

does that make sense? I am new to typing up cooking instructions.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody had a great fairly simple recipe for a valentine's day dinner. My bf and I have decided to make something together, and I guess it's up to me to decide (he will eat whatever!:laugh: ) I have been searching but nothing has really caught my attention too much...or they seem too complicated. I want it to be quick/easy enough so that we can enjoy the time together:smile: Thanks!

Hey Berta my girl!! So, this is a recipe I just love...and its fairly low on calories. It tastes exactly like the soup at Olive Garden, the Zuppa Toscana. And then I usually make my own little homemade breadsticks & salad. Its a yummy, yet low calorie dinner. And pretty dang easy to make. Its also fun for me and my hubby to make the breadsticks together. Just knowing its an Olive garden specialty makes it way fun to eat by candlelight! :)

Have fun girl!! can't wait to hear about it!

1 (16 ounce) package Jimmy Dean's regular sausage
    3-4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    6 slices bacon (optional, I do not use the bacon)
    bacon is NOT included in serving information below
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (fresh garlic)
    2 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
    2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
    2-3 cups of water
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
    sprinkle some red crushed pepper to give a spicer taste (optional)

Place sausage in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until sausage is cooked.
    Place water in a pot and add garlic,onions, chicken base or bouillon, water, and potatoes, simmer 20-35 minutes
    Add sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.
    (Bacon needs to be fully cooked before adding, if you choose to add bacon)

Amount Per Serving

SERVING SIZE: approx 1 1/2 CUP
    Approx 12 servings per recipe (Kind of a big batch, but its great for leftovers as well, or you can cut the recipe in half!)

Calories 175.1
    Total Fat 13.2 g
    Sodium 131.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
    Sugars 0.6 g
    Protein 5.5 g

Edited to say: I think the sodium is off, because chicken broth/boullion has a fair amount of sodium. But, who knows, maybe with only 1.5 cups in a serving it probably decreases it. Just wanted to make you aware-just in case!
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options

Hey Berta my girl!! So, this is a recipe I just love...and its fairly low on calories. It tastes exactly like the soup at Olive Garden, the Zuppa Toscana. And then I usually make my own little homemade breadsticks & salad. Its a yummy, yet low calorie dinner. And pretty dang easy to make. Its also fun for me and my hubby to make the breadsticks together. Just knowing its an Olive garden specialty makes it way fun to eat by candlelight! :)

Have fun girl!! can't wait to hear about it!

1 (16 ounce) package Jimmy Dean's regular sausage
    3-4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    6 slices bacon (optional, I do not use the bacon)
    bacon is NOT included in serving information below
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (fresh garlic)
    2 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
    2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
    2-3 cups of water
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
    sprinkle some red crushed pepper to give a spicer taste (optional)

Place sausage in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until sausage is cooked.
    Place water in a pot and add garlic,onions, chicken base or bouillon, water, and potatoes, simmer 20-35 minutes
    Add sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.
    (Bacon needs to be fully cooked before adding, if you choose to add bacon)

Amount Per Serving

SERVING SIZE: approx 1 1/2 CUP
    Approx 12 servings per recipe (Kind of a big batch, but its great for leftovers as well, or you can cut the recipe in half!)

Calories 175.1
    Total Fat 13.2 g
    Sodium 131.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
    Sugars 0.6 g
    Protein 5.5 g

Edited to say: I think the sodium is off, because chicken broth/boullion has a fair amount of sodium. But, who knows, maybe with only 1.5 cups in a serving it probably decreases it. Just wanted to make you aware-just in case!

This sounds delicious.
  • LisaNBorchers
    Options
    I had a craving for past so I made a Chicken Cacciatore with Gnocci the other night that was really good.

1. Brown chicken thighs in EVOO - season with salt and pepper (you can use chicken breast also, i prefer dark meat)
    2. Add 1 can of Italian Seasoned Tomatoes
    3. 1/2 med onion diced
    4. 1 green pepper chopped
    5. Fresh mushroom quarted
    5. Garlic - all depends on how much you like
    6. Season with italian seasonings or (oregano, basil and thyme)
    7. Cook Gnocci (potato dumplings)

I can be lazy when it comes to cooking dinner so I tend to cut everything a bit bigger.

Gnocci runs about 150-220 cal per 1cup serving depending on the name brand.
    One chicken thigh averages 100 calories and the rest is vegatables. I entered everything on spark.com to calculte my total calories and came out at 327 for the meal. Again depends on what type of gnocci or pasta you serve with.

Enjoy!
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I plan to make this recipe from eatingwell.com, and the HG Snickers Pie.

Braised Paprika Chicken
    From EatingWell: January/February 2009 — Subscribe Now!

6 servings
    Active Time: 1 hour
    Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
    Ingredients
    3-3 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
    3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 tablespoon butter
    4 cups finely diced onions
    Pinch of sugar
    1 cup diced red bell pepper
    1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons sweet paprika
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley, dill and/or chives
    Preparation
    Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
    Heat oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very soft and light brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
    Stir in bell peppers, tomato paste, paprika and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and stir it gently into the onion mixture. Sprinkle with marjoram and add broth. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
    Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, flour and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until smooth.
    When the chicken is done, remove it to a plate. Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce coats the spoon. Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with parsley, dill and/or chives, if desired.
    Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Steps 4-5 before serving.
    Tip: If you are using a combination of thighs, drumsticks and breasts, cut each breast in half crosswise to make pieces about the size of a thigh. And if you buy whole legs, separate the drumsticks and thighs. When the pieces are about the same size, they'll cook at about the same rate.
    Nutrition
    Per serving: 331 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 116 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 384 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
    Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
    1 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm making chicken parmesan for my husband and eggplant parmesan for myself (I'm a vegetarian) both baked, not fried, of course with whole wheat spaghetti, garlic bread and a nice big salad.

Here a few dessert ideas too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/80991-need-dessert-ideas-for-v-day-i-have-2
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recipes! We have actually decided on eggplant parm ourselves!! haha! YUM! I'm so excited....now just to decide on a dessert!
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    check out eatbetteramerica.com, they have a garlic shrimp pasta that looks yummy and not hard!