Healthiest Starbucks options? NOT black coffee.

Replies

• If you want to make it more nutrient dense - post workout treat perhaps - ask them to steam in protein powder. When I was working there my favorite was a grande 2pump sf caramel, 1pump sf mocha 2scoop protein powder NF latte. Yummmm.
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    I frequent Starbucks often. I am usually doing this after a 3 mile run, so I have some extra calories. Honestly though, just say nonfat, no whip on just about anything you order. the whip alone is about 100 calories. I don't do the skinny drinks because I hate aspartame for flavor and health reasons. I order all kinds of drinks with my "nonfat, no whip" and my drinks are anywhere from 70-150 calories.

I do eat the food sometimes, but always as a treat, never all the time. most of the food there is 350 and up.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    When it comes to Starbucks' coffee-flavored sugar-milk drinks, "healthy" isn't really the applicable term. But general guidelines are as follows. Go with skim milk, sugar-free syrup flavors (just ask if they're not listed, they should be), artificial sweeteners, no chocolate/caramel drizzle, and no whip.

In all seriousness, if you're drinking this stuff for the caffeine, it would behoove you to develop a taste for black coffee. To do that, step one is to stop going to Starbucks, their coffee itself is terrible.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    I get a double espresso and a breakfast sandwich. I add a couple of ice cubes to the espresso, knock it back, and then enjoy my food. I hate drinking my calories, it feels pointless.
  • keep the regular syrup because your body will recognize the real sugar and not convert it straight into fat (like it does with aspartame).

headdesk.jpg

I'm wondering which part of my post you are making fun of. The part where sugar is better than artificial crap or the part where I stated that the body doesn't recognize aspartame so it automatically converts it into fat? It's a common misconception that artificial sweeteners are "better" than sugar. With sugar, at least your body has some time to use it as quick energy.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Forgot to add their their website is awesome for figuring out calories and whatnot for different drinks. For those saying Starbucks black coffee is terrible, I agree it's nothing special, but their lattes are out of this world. (That's why I get lattes and not the mistos.)
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    My fave is a grande latte, 1 pump white mocha, 1 pump cinnamon dolce, non-fat milk, no whip. Has about 210 calories and is oh so delicious! I stopped eating there though, so many calories in their food!
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Starbucks has the refreshers. They are cold drink with all the same amount of caffeine as a regular cup of coffee but, for the cool lime refresher there is only 50 calories in a grande. 70 in the very berry hibiscus grande. You can even add green tea instead of water to the cool lime refresher, still have 50 calories but added caffeine and it is really delicious.

A cappucino with splenda might be a good option as well, or a nonfat misto with splenda. I like skinny vanilla lattes with half nonfat milk and half soy, and a splenda, tastes amazing.

You could also get any of the hot teas, 0 calories in those and they are really good! You can add some steamed milk as well in those and keep the calorie count low. Sugar free syrups are available to put in those as well which have zero calories, it does have aspartame which may not be the healthiest, still zero calories though.

You can get light frappucinos which are made with nonfat milk, a lighter base, and no whipped cream for a fair amount of calories too.

Go to the website and go under the drink menu, mess around and find a good fit for you. I also like the skinny caramel macchiato!

Avoid white chocolate mocha--around 60 calories in one pump and there are 3 pumps in a tall, 4 in a grande, 5 in a venti and 6 in a venti iced. Getting half the pumps and a splenda in a drink you like can also help.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Raspberry Italian soda... sugar free vanilla & raspberry syrup, sparkling water. Make it a cream soda by adding a shot of breve.
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    I keep the following link as a favourite on my phone so I can quickly check some of my options just before I get there:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu76b0Lm671r4fczoo1_500.jpg

my favourite is a skinny caramel frappucino! :)
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    NOTHING! Starbucks is the over-priced devil that is corporate America
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    TRY TALL AMERICANO WITH SUGAR-FREE MOCHA SYRUP! it tastes just like hot chocolate i swearrrrrrrrr :)

its 10 calories (+ syrup i think is like 5 calories maybe)?
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    NOTHING! Starbucks is the over-priced devil that is corporate America

so true haha
  • If I don't get just a regular iced black tea, I'll go for a tall cappuccino with soy milk. The tea is zero calories and the cappuccino is 100 calories.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    I mostly stick to one of three drinks at Starbucks and they don't have a ton of calories.
    -tall, nonfat vanilla latte, iced or hot for 120 cal.
    -tall, nonfat caramel macchiato, iced or hot for 140 cal
    -grande mocha light frap (doesn't come with whip though they might ask you if you want it, decline to keep this calorie count) with one pump of white mocha for 170 cals.

I do not get the "skinny" version because the sugar free syrup tastes off to me and Starbucks is a treat I will specifically build into that day so I'm not going to skimp on that. But if you don't mind the sugar free syrup or are watching your sugar intake it will shave off a few more calories. The important thing for watching what you're getting at Starbucks (or similar places) is to not get the huge sizes. Thats where the overload of a meal's worth of calories in one drink comes in. It might be tasty but you'll be hungry later!
  • laurajordana
    laurajordana Posts: 48 Member
    my favorite is a double tall nonfat caramel machiatto. 50 less calories, slightly less sugar/carbs than a grande but same amount of espresso!

edit: 140 calories
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    I always get the reg black iced tea or green tea. The calories are not too bad and I check their site often before ordering to know what I'm doing.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Their tazo teas are pretty good. My favourite is peppermint :) Oh, and did I mention zero calories?
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    If you like it, I always get tea. Same thing with movie theatres! I always get their unsweetened iced tea, and then bring a packet of crystal light lemonade (only 10 calories!). Then I have lemon tea. :D
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Anything "skinny" on there menu is worth is as long as you don't do Venti. The skinny peppermint mocha grande is only 130 calories. Yummy!!!

I have been on these for a couple weeks now. I have tapered down to the tall, but worth every calorie!!!