Weighing everyday??

Options
Hi, am new here and wondered if anyone else had the bad habit of weighing themselves everyday?? i do it and just cant help myself and then i get disappointed when i see ive gone up a 1lb, ive tried breaking the habit but just cant seem 2 do it!!

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    get rid of the scale..give it to a neighbor or a friend...that will hopefully rid the habit
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    get rid of the scale..give it to a neighbor or a friend...that will hopefully rid the habit

Great advice!
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I used to do that all the time so I just put the scale in my basement. It is kind of out of sight out of mind, I haven't weighed myself in weeks since I put it down there. The first few days I really wanted to but I didn't want to go downstairs and get the scale! It worked for me good luck!
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thats a good idea...I dont have one cause I know I would be the same way. I weight myself probably every 2 weeks or something. As long as I feel better and look better then thats all that matters. The numbers don't mean much.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Put it somewhere that is not easily accessible. Mine is in the bathroom because I weigh first thing in morning, sans clothing. So that makes sense, right? Except that because I shower every morning, it is waaaaaay to easily accessible. I have been going crazy lately over this issue. I am moving the scale upstairs so that it requires a conscious effort to go get it, bring it down, get undressed and then weigh.

I am also going to try to weight in every 2 weeks, instead of every week. TRY being the operative word! LOL

Good luck!
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    i do it everday and calculate 7 days of weigh in to find my acutal weight so that keeps me motivated ur weight will flucuate day to day with food and water weight so dont be discouraged by this just total the amount for the 7 days and divide by 7 and u will be surprised with the actual weight u are good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Chantelle160
    Options
    I would weigh in everyday but I gave my scale to my mom so I can only weight myself when I'm there. So best is every week or two.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fit Plus and "log in" every day, so I have a rough idea what my weight is on a daily basis (it's only 1 lb off from my home scale), but only officially weigh in once a week.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    too many variables to weigh everyday and it wont be accurate.....once a week, that way it will keep your motivation up and you wont get frustrated from not losing what you hoped
  • becca09
    becca09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I sorta did the same thing. i weigh myself every sunday evening and i did that as usual the other week and i weighed myself 3 days after just out of curiosity and it said i had dropped 7 pounds. i was really shocked and so i weighed myself the day after, i had put on a pound, so i weighed myself the day after that, it said i had put on 3 pounds, so i was devastated and my boyfriend told me i cant keep weighing myself otherwise im just setting myself up for disappointment. so he took my scales away and hid them, now i cant find them. but at the proper weigh in on the sunday (after my weighing daily week) it said i had lost 6 pounds in the week. so dont weigh yourself everyday, it will make you happy one day but then the next day it will make you upset. just weigh your self every week at the same sort of time and youll be in for a nice surprise as long as youve stuck to your diet.
  • lovetodance
    Options
    I weight every day but I have just gotten used to the pounds fluctuating 2 or 3 pounds. If you can learn not to be discouraged , then I would say go ahead and weigh yourself everyday. I have found that if It (the scales) is out of sight then I have a green ticket to go ahead and eat whatever I want ...which would be disasterous for me. I too weigh first thing in the morning wearing the same amount of clothes.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I'm a guilty weigh in every day kinda gal! 212 pounds down and I still do it. I don't fret, but weighing in every day mentally helped me stay on goal calroie wise. You will and probably do see lots of fluxing. It's normal to see this. Make sure you're also taking measurements.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    I don't think it is a bad habit to weight yourself daily. I have made this a practice, although I only weigh in officially on Sundays - this is the weight I enter into mfp. Our goals are set up on a weekly basis - to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week - so it makes sense to only officially weigh in once a week to see if we have reached our goal for the week. However, weighing yourself daily allows you to track your high/low for the week, it also allows you to "see" if you are retaining water. If your weight increases a pound or more in 1 day and you have stayed within calories then you are retaining water and need to drink more water. It also holds you accountable to yourself if you over indulge and go way over your daily calories. I personally think it is not only motivational but a good practice to weight yourself daily keeping all circumstances the same - time of day, clothing, etc. I get up in the morning, go potty, and weight myself right before jumping into the shower. Sometimes the scale not moving or even going up gives us the kick in pants we need to stay within calories or even increase the intensity or frequency of our workouts.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm a guilty weigh in every day kinda gal! 212 pounds down and I still do it. I don't fret, but weighing in every day mentally helped me stay on goal calroie wise. You will and probably do see lots of fluxing. It's normal to see this. Make sure you're also taking measurements.

212 Pounds lost?! That's AMAZING! Good for you! :bigsmile:
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wake up @ 6, go potty, weigh, I even take my wedding ring off and my glasses, b/c I weighed like that the very first time, and I do that every morning!! I do not freak out, but know that if Monday to Monday is too much of a difference, then I need to fix it...
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but I don't get bummed out or too excited at the number, because I know so many things can make it change the following day. I have an official weigh in day (friday) where I am either happy or pissed.
  • looneygirl44
    Options
    Thanks everyone so very useful tips, i do go to a slimming class and offically weigh in every week just everytime i go into the bathroom i end up weighing myself and on the wii fit, will try from now on just to weigh in the mornings and then on the wii fit if i use it that day. Glad to know im not the only one that does this though! x
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, two or three times a day. Why? Because I want to learn about my body's natural rhythms, and how my weight rises and falls. I've learned that I'm lightest first thing in the morning because there's no food in my belly. I've noticed that I gain weight after exercising, because my muscles retain water. I notice increases when I eat too much salt, decreases when I drink a lot of water to 'flush' myself out. I notice increases before my time of the month and decreases after. The trick is taking these measurements with a grain of salt.

I do one 'official' weigh in every week. That is the weight that I track. However, because I understand my body a little better, I am also better able to understand my 'failures'. That is, if I have a disappointing weigh-in one week, rather than beating myself up I'm able to understand WHY. If it's not from diet or lack of exercise, it could be a natural fluctuation.

So... I don't think weighing yourself every day is a bad thing at all. Just don't freak out when you see your weight going up and down throughout the day and week.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Prevention magazine just had an article about weighing everyday. They said that if you weigh yourself everyday, you are more likely to be aware of what you are eating/how much you are exercising everyday and that if you weigh yourself everyday, you have a better chance of losing more weight. It said that you shouldn't get addicted or anything. I weigh myself everyday and I don't go crazy if its up a pound or not but it provides motivation for my through the whole day!