Bad Order

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
I HATE HATE HATE when restaurants get my order wrong! Went out on a date last night ordered a heathy meal I looked up the website before I went out to find what would be the best choice (Found an awesome meal for 376 Calories Steak, Spag Squash and Zucchini at Ruby Tuesdays) I order my steak Med Well she asks do you want that just a tiny pink yes that is exactly what I want, I get it and it's still bleeding on my plate I hate sending food back but yuck so they apologize profusely bring me another steak which ends up being just barely less red but red still I can't eat bleeding meat I'm sorry I just can't....I ended up eatting just some spag. Squash and Baked Zucchini for supper because I refused to wait for a third steak to come out. They kept asking what they could do for me is there anything else they could bring out for me I almost said to bring me a burger but I didn't want to screw up my calories I purposefully looked at the menu before I left online for this reason. And I was afraid if I kept asking for new food the chef was going to do something to my food. What would you do?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The thing is, it's the chefs job to cook ... if you have expectations, they need to be met. You wanted a medium well steak. They gave you rare (or med. rare). It wasn't done the way you asked, so you had every right to request it to be cooked.

It's almost like having someone build you a house. If they tried to tell you it was done without a roof or windows, you'd say no, fix it.. then when the roof is done, but the windows aren't in, you still wouldn't accept that as being done!

I would hope that they took your meal off of your bill!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    As a chef, cooking meat med well goes against the grain....please don 't hold it against them. Try the keg next time they always overcook their steaks.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I always order it Med well under the assumption they normally undercook it from my expectations. In reality I like it slightly pink but will eat it if it comes out more done than that but eatting RED bloody meat doesn't appeal to me at all. Its like going out to the pasture and taking a bit out of a cow bleh!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I consider it a felony to order steak any more than medium.....sorry, no sympathy here.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I never send food back. I worked in restaurants for years. It's a mistake. Eat it, complain, let the waitstaff, or manager, know that it was wrong after you eat it. Either don't go back, or be firm when you order next time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hope you didn't pay for it!

I like my cow fresh out of the field and still bleeding though so it wouldn't bother me!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Keep sending it back until they get it right. They undercook because overcooking means it gets thrown out.At least it can be up-cooked, if it's over done, they lose the steak $$$.

Lots of people don't know the difference (and it is a bit of a judgment call) between medium and medium well....since it was Ruby Tuesday, they probably don't sell a lot of steaks...not exactly known as a steak house.

I was in the restaurant business for 20 years. They need to make it right...but, with that said - order food that is the specialty of the particular restaurant. If it's a burger joint order a burger.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Yeah I worked in food service... You did right by sending it back once and no more! Sorry all you can do is complain maybe get a free meal coupon but if you had sent it back again you would have been subjected to heinious backlash. Maybe next time you will get it more to your liking.
    I don't eat meat usually and get meat in my food all the time. I either eat it, pick that **** out or don't eat it. thats your realistic options. Or get the perfect meal after many tries and it contains butt juice.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm always afraid to send food back because of what they could do to it. I usually just suck it up and complain afterward. I've even told people when I complained, "I was afraid to send it back because I know what happens sometimes when people send food back." I might have watched too much TV but sometimes you never can be too careful.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've had the exact opposite experience. I want my steak to moo when I cut into it --- and (especially in a chain like Rudy Tuesday), the cooks tend to overcook it... so I don't just order it rare, I order it R-A-R-E. It usually comes med-rare, which I will choke down. But believe you me, if I'm paying real $$$ for a steak? Oh hell yes it's going back until they get it right. Of course, in the nicer places, the chefs consider overcooking meat a crime, so I'm usually very pleased. :)
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    As a chef, cooking meat med well goes against the grain....please don 't hold it against them. Try the keg next time they always overcook their steaks.

As a chef, it is your job to cook my steak how I want it. I will hold it against you if you do not do your job properly. This is a pet peeve of mine. I love my steak super well done. I realize that is a pet peeve of most chefs, however, I am the one paying for the food, and hence, your paycheck. I should be able to expect the food to come out the way I cooked it, regardless of the chef's personal feelings on how I should order or eat it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options

As a chef, it is your job to cook my steak how I want it. I will hold it against you if you do not do your job properly. This is a pet peeve of mine. I love me steak super well done. I realize that is a pet peeve of most chefs, however, I am the one paying for the food, and hence, your paycheck. I should be able to expect the food to come out the way I cooked it, regardless of the chef's personal feelings on how I should order or eat it.
    My paycheck depends on my reputation and the reputation of my restaurant and on the rare occasions that I get an order for super well done steak I reserve the end bits and the meat I wouldn't normally serve to my regular clientele, and have never had a complaint. I make more money for the well done crowd, so I just want to thank you for your lack of taste, as I think most chefs would. Peace.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    Keep sending it back until they get it right. They undercook because overcooking means it gets thrown out.At least it can be up-cooked, if it's over done, they lose the steak $$$.

Lots of people don't know the difference (and it is a bit of a judgment call) between medium and medium well....since it was Ruby Tuesday, they probably don't sell a lot of steaks...not exactly known as a steak house.

I was in the restaurant business for 20 years. They need to make it right...but, with that said - order food that is the specialty of the particular restaurant. If it's a burger joint order a burger.

I'm sorry if it's on the menu learn to cook it! I get nervous about sending things back over and over again because you hear horror storys about what cooks/chefs do when they get mad at customers...
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I hope you didn't pay for it!

no I didn't pay for it.