New and Hypothyroidism 1000 Calorie Diet

Hello. My name is Crystal. I am 28, married, with five kids (7 pregnancies). I am trying to lose weight because I have lots of back and knee problems. I am about 200lb. After my last baby was born I gained 30lb (I mean after...not during), because I developed hypothyroidism. I didn't discover this until recently when we found a large lump in my thyroid.

I kept a food log in the past because my husband and sister-in-law were concerned because I didn't eat much food. So in order to prove to them that my diet was just fine, I started a food log and discovered that as a rule, I ate around 1300 calories a day. This is where I am quite full and comfortable.

This really confused me because I would have thought that at 1300 calories, I would not be 200lb. So recently, I saw an endocrinologist who diagnosed my hypothyroidism and started me on a medication. I have been on this for a couple weeks now.

So here is my question. If I maintain my weight at 1300 calories, what should my caloric intake be? I am currently doing a 1000 calorie diet. But I am reconsidering this. In part, because I am a mother of five children of whom I homeschool. I really don't have time to log all my foods every single day. In addition, a lot of my foods cannot be logged. How do you log kefir or kombucha or homemade vegetable stock? My regular diet does not come from a box.

Another reason is because I do not want to end up in a starvation diet wherein I am just training my body to lower my metabolism even more. I am considering adjusting to a higher calorie diet and focusing on a low carb, high protein diet - somewhat like the Atkins Diet.

What do you all think of the Atkins Diet? What is South Beach? Is it good? Is there something better? Is there something I am missing? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Does anyone else here struggle with hypothyroidism? I really have no idea how to proceed and appreciate your help.

Replies

• sistercrystal
    sistercrystal Posts: 3 Member
    Hello. My name is Crystal. I am 28, married, with five kids (7 pregnancies). I am trying to lose weight because I have lots of back and knee problems. I am about 200lb. After my last baby was born I gained 30lb (I mean after...not during), because I developed hypothyroidism. I didn't discover this until recently when we found a large lump in my thyroid.

I kept a food log in the past because my husband and sister-in-law were concerned because I didn't eat much food. So in order to prove to them that my diet was just fine, I started a food log and discovered that as a rule, I ate around 1300 calories a day. This is where I am quite full and comfortable.

This really confused me because I would have thought that at 1300 calories, I would not be 200lb. So recently, I saw an endocrinologist who diagnosed my hypothyroidism and started me on a medication. I have been on this for a couple weeks now.

So here is my question. If I maintain my weight at 1300 calories, what should my caloric intake be? I am currently doing a 1000 calorie diet. But I am reconsidering this. In part, because I am a mother of five children of whom I homeschool. I really don't have time to log all my foods every single day. In addition, a lot of my foods cannot be logged. How do you log kefir or kombucha or homemade vegetable stock? My regular diet does not come from a box.

Another reason is because I do not want to end up in a starvation diet wherein I am just training my body to lower my metabolism even more. I am considering adjusting to a higher calorie diet and focusing on a low carb, high protein diet - somewhat like the Atkins Diet.

What do you all think of the Atkins Diet? What is South Beach? Is it good? Is there something better? Is there something I am missing? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Does anyone else here struggle with hypothyroidism? I really have no idea how to proceed and appreciate your help.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Sounds like you might already be in starvation mode....

I would talk with a doctor on this one because you are not eating enough to maintain that weight, let alone gain. One thing you may want to take note is your portion size. Although you can not log boxed foods there are many resources for homemade items if you watch your measurements. I make a lot of my food too.

Good luck!!
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    sistercrystal:
    Here is a link researched and provided earlier by one of the members, Skinnier_Me (thank you Skinnier_Me).
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

I have not tried that tool personally, but you can invest some time with the tool to come up with nutritional values of your dishes. Using the values, "create personal food" in MFP under My Foods tab. Once that is done, your foods can be easily logged in MFP. Hope that helps.
  • jdhm
    jdhm Posts: 4 Member
    I had my thyroid removed almost ten years ago and I too struggle constantly. Medication can be very tricky - one size doesn't fit all type of thing and doctors are sometimes difficult to work with.

I suggest a website: www.about.com - and then go to the thyroid link. They have a very complete website that offers advice on everything relating to hypothyroidism. I became very well-informed about my condition after doing some research.

The good news is that with the proper medication, diet and exercise you can feel pretty good. The bad news from my end is that you won't lose a lot of weight. I tend to gain and lose the same five pounds all the time, and I am about 20 pounds over my ideal weight. I joined this website to monitor my eating and a bad day for me is about 1400 calories. I have a toddler who I run after all day, so I am definitely not a couch potato! I have been walking just about every day for 45 minutes and it helps tremendously with the way my clothes fit but not necessarily the weight.

If you can do a South Beach type diet and exercise (especially weight training AND cardio), I think that will be your best bet. I am trying to stay around 1200 calories right now, and I am at least not gaining weight.

The about.com website has plenty of advice from people on how to manage hypothyroidism, so I think you will find that site very helpful.

Good Luck!
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    I've done the South beach diet for a couple of years and I absolutely love it.
    The first two weeks are the hardest, but after the first few days (if you don't cheat) your sugar cravings disappear... which was a big problem for me. I loved not craving bad foods, especially when I wasn't hungry.
    The food is good too! Alot of the foods are really satisfying because you're allowed cheese and dressings you just have to watch the sugar intake. And sugar free jello (with light cool whip if you want)for desert... plus other desert recipes if you still feel you need it.
    There are strong benefits for lowering your cholesterol and your not removing all your carbs, like in the Atkins, just the bad ones.
    I'd highly recommend it. In my first month trying the south beach diet I lost 15lbs and I've still kept it off a year and a half later.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Welcome, I to am a thyroid person. I have what is called hashimotos. Slightly different than the hypothyroidism but very similiar in many of the effects. You can definately lose weight but I am told it can take a little more effort. I personally go on the high fiber, low fat diet myself. I have also started taking a supplement specifically for my thyroid called L-tyrosine. For me it seems to be helping me keep my energy levels up and I have fewer thyroid storms. I also cook alot of our own food and try to eleviate as much as possible corn syrup from our diet.

I would also consider raising your caloric intake back to at least 1300 or so.

Eve
  • sistercrystal
    sistercrystal Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all for your help so far. I'm also going to take a look at that Recipe Calculator. Thanks. Perhaps I'll see you all later in the other forums. :-)

Crystal