Strength training

Options
Hey

I'm new to this site, and I noticed there isn't any calorie deduction from doing strength training. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I found that as well, very annoying, you have to enter it under cardio and then you can keep track of sets and reps under strength..don't know why unless i'm doing it wrong..anyone know of another way?
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    This was mentioned in an FAQ I believe. The basic idea is that everyone does strength training differently -- different intensity, different time between reps and sets, etc. that it's hard to get an accurate number short of checking your pulse (ie HRM) frequently.
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    But . . . we still lose calories from it even thought it doesn't calculate it right?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You can do it under cardio and put it in as circuit training. It'll give you an idea. I wear a Heart Rate monitor that tells me how many calories I burned.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you just do strength training with low reps, high weights, and long rests between sets you will certainly build muscle. That muscle in turn will burn more calories, which your body will try to get from it's fat stores. How ever, you don't burn a lot of calories actually doing the work. You use the small ammounts of glycogen in your muscles in an anaerobic manner and once more lactic acid builds up than your body can remove, you're done. You have to wait for your next set until your body can replenish that glycogen and flush the lactic acid. The ammount of energy burned isn't very large at all.
    If you are doing circuit training, or CrossFit, or some other high intensity routine with lower weights, higher reps, and little to no rest between you are now going to be using that same glycogen in an aerobic manner, but after 1-2 minutes your body turns to the glucose stored in your liver, and after ~ 60 mins it start looking for other sources. NOW you're really burning the calories, just like any aerobic activity. The advantage with these high intensity routines is that the calorie burning continues long after it would stop for normal aerobics as your body races to replenish energy stores and repair muscle tissue as it prepares for the next attack.