losing slowly...WHY?

Options
I've noticed that a lot of people in 2 months can lose 9/10 ibs while me i've been dieting and stuff since last september (almost 3 months ago) and i've lost something like 3/4 kilos .Isn't it weird or it depends on how fast can your body burn fat ? [I'm 167 cm and 57.5 kilos]

Replies

• heidimaggott78
    Options
    How much do you want to lose? At 167cm, 57kg already seems a bit on the low side.

Anyway, I digress. The less you have to lose, then generally, the slower the progress
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    How much do those people have to lose. Generally, the more you have to lose, initially, the weight will come off very quickly. If you have less to lose, the weight will come off much slower. The same reason why your weight loss generally slows the closer you get to your goal.

There's other things it could be, but that's the most common reason.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Considering you are at my goal weight and in the wealthy weight range yes you will lose weight slowly.... So do I and I'm 25 pounds heavier than you...
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to lose either and I'm supposed to lose half a pound a week according to MFP's guidelines, but I have been on MFP and only lost 11 pounds in over a year. I eat healthy and work out 6-7 days a week. Sometimes the weight just doesn't want to come off. But it will be worth it in the end.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    One can only burn a specific amount of fat per 24 hour period. The less fat mass you have, the less fat oxidation occurs in that 24 hour period. You take your fat mass and multiply by 30 kcal. This gives you the absolute max deficit in which fat oxidation is possible. However, leaner individuals will realistically not be able to sustain or experience that kind of deficit. For example, I am 14% body fat right now after finishing my bulking cycle and have 25.8 lbs of fat mass (11.7kg). Thus, 25.8 x 30 = 774 deficit below my maintenance of 2800 calories. Although theoretically I can burn nearly 1.5 lbs per week according to this formula, in the real world from previous experience, I only burn about 0.5 lbs per week at this stage. And once I get below 10% body fat, it drops down to 0.33 lbs per week.
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    the faster the weight loss you want the lower you have to go
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks I lost pretty quick and I'm only trying to loose 20 lbs. But I think the quick loss at first was from cutting out soda completely and simple sugars (cake, cookies, etc). Now I'm loosing more like 1-1.5 lbs per week rather than 2.5-3.

In the long run, if you don't have a lot to loose, I think loosing is slowly is better. If you only take in very few calories for quick weight loss you'll slow your metabolism down which you don't want. It might be easier to keep if off if you eat a few more calories and loose the weight slowly. Giving your body time to adjust. If I'm way off base someone please correct me.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

no
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

Lower is not practical if one is starting from too low in the first place.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 11 months to lose 36 lbs. I had a two months "off-lifestyle" but thankfully, I didn't gain anything. Overall my weight has come off pretty slowly. I eat slightly below my BMR of 1800 calories, and even while exercising 5-7 days a week, I've never been able to pull off losing 2lbs a week like some people can even though I have 50 more to lose.

However this month I lost nearly 6lbs, because I started a new part time job where I am on my feet all day, so perhaps you just need to move more in general?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    try 20 lbs in 7-8 months..........

be thankful you are losing and not gaining. That's the only thing that's kept me going lately.
  • makantjh
    makantjh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing your food diary. The people telling you that heavier folks will lose more in a shorter period of time are correct. Also, many weight lifters who are already fairly thin will cut starchy things like breads, potatoes, crackers, rice and so forth in order to shed weight and shred up before a competition. Basically, just eat lean meats and lots of vegetables. You'll still get carbs from the vegetables but that is largely negated by the fiber also found in vegetables. (google 'net carbs') Once you get to the size you want, slowly add more starches back into your diet and monitor your weight to find how much starch is good for you to maintain your results. I would recommend staying away from artificial sweeteners if you can as well. There's a lot of evidence that they will incite the same hunger affects as sugar. As always, keep your calories reasonable. Hope this helps. -Jeff
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    You do know what 4 kilo's is in lbs, right?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Losing weight slowly isn't really a bad thing. You're more likely to keep it off, for one thing.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Nope.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that a lot of people in 2 months can lose 9/10 ibs while me i've been dieting and stuff since last september (almost 3 months ago) and i've lost something like 3/4 kilos .Isn't it weird or it depends on how fast can your body burn fat ? [I'm 167 cm and 57.5 kilos]

4kg is about 9lbs, so there isn't much difference really!

I am your height and about 67kg and it takes me a while to lose lbs. I seem to lose inches quite fast though so I'm not complaining. You are the weight I would like to be.

How much do you exercise? If you work on building muscle by doing strength training then that helps to burn fat faster. I haven't looked at your diary, but make sure you eat plenty of protein.

I've found that cutting out starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes helps, but I prefer not to cut anything out completely so I limit them usually.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I read this 3/4 as three quarters, not 3 or 4.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Are you an advocate of eating disorders? Your posts sure look like you are.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I read this 3/4 as three quarters, not 3 or 4.
    Then the 9/10 logically would be nine tenths, right?