I think I'm too fat to run right now.....

Options

Replies

• rsm535
    rsm535 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be a runner. When I was in the Navy, I did a couple 5mi runs here and there, but that was 20 years ago. Last spring, I started trying to get back into shape (from about 350lbs). It took about 3 months of cardio on the elliptical before I could run more than 2 or 3 minutes without wanting to die. Now, at 250lbs, I can do a mile and a half in about 15 min. I was having injury issues, mostly back pain and hamstrings. But, taking the time to properly warm up and stretch and not pushing myself too fast by stopping when my body says "time to stop", the injuries have subsided.

Simply put, your body is saying something isn't right. Make sure your warming up and stretching properly. Make sure you have the proper shoes, and if you're still having issues, see a MD or a chiropractor.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Pending what your Dr says, you might want to find a good chiropractor to make sure everything is in alignment. As others have mentioned, strengthening your core will help too. I started C25K at about 220 lbs and my back and hips were in a lot of pain after a run. As I got in better shape and lost the weight and strengthened my core the pain went away. Baby steps, you will probably have to work up to running without pain.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're too fat to run. I'm fatter than you and I can run. I can't run a lot, but I'm capable and it doesn't hurt my body during or afterwards. It is something I've worked up to also, not something I rushed into. I'm wondering if your expectation of yourself is too high right now for your fitness level. I bet next week and the week after will be better and that it will continue to get better. Start with less running - perhaps with what your body CAN handle - for now, and continue to work your way up also. I hope you don't get frustrated with yourself. It's okay that you're not at a fitness level that you used to be. You'll be back there soon.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago and my back hurt for a couple of weeks. A runner friend had told me that I might be tense when I run and that chould be causing it. I think she was right, I really tried to relax when I ran and the pain went away.

True story, especially if you tend to clench your fists when you run - I used to, and had the worst backache imaginable. Some of the best advice I ever got for running was to visualize that you're holding a handful of potato chips in each hand. It helps keep your hands open and prevents tensing up.

On the other hand, losing weight helps FOR SURE. I ran a 5K at about 220, and I hurt for days. Now, almost 30 pounds lighter, I can run faster and longer, and I don't feel like I have an acordian for a spine when I'm done. That's 30 pounds less of impact my joints have to take!
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving day, and it took me four days to get my hips to stop hurting. I am 55 pounds too heavy at this time. But I am just running a mile or two now, two to three times a week and its not so bad....keep trying you will find what works best for you.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Are you doing C25K?? I just started ..it is harder to jog with more weight but doable...i get itchy and get a sore soleus muscle(inside of calf area) work your way up as you drop weight it will get easier!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    my knees and back hurt me when I first started running this summer. my trainer told me it's because i had zero strength built up in my core and quads (back of thighs). don't skimp on strength training!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    At your peak, how do you think you would've felt at the end of a nice long jog wearing a 50 pound backpack?

I wonder if you're running right now exactly as you used to when you were fit as a fiddle. Perhaps you should pretend like you're just starting out to train yourself to carry this backpack you've got on. Bonus, as you catch up with your training, the backpack will get lighter :-)
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3'' and currently 172. At my heaviest, I was 186. I have run for the last six years or so, and the weight hasn't really been an issue for me. I did have a period about 2 years ago (when I was at about my current weight) where I was having bad hip, knee and shoulder pain, but just on my left side. I went to the chiropractor, and he said I was way out of alignment so that my left foot was striking a lot harder because it was higher up. After about 10 weeks of adjustments and some upper body exercises, I got to the point where my legs were striking about the same way. I've felt much better ever since. I've also really worked on my core muscles and my running form so that I'm not hurting myself :). Hope that helps!!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Last summer I was 330lbs.

I ran 8 5k races, 3 10k races, and 2 triathlons.

No, you're not too fat...Just slow down.
  • kpbs68
    kpbs68 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm a former runner. I've done some 5K's and used to run 5-8 miles a couple times a week. That was just 2 1/2 years ago. Now... I weigh 50 pounds more than I did back than and everytime I try to run, my back and hips KILL ME!!! Just last week I bought new asic shoes & walked 10 min, jogged 1, walked 4, jogged 1, finished by walking. The next day I could barely walk due to back and hip pain. Do than 2 days later I repeated it only I added in a third 1 min jog.... same thing. MAJOR pain the next 2 days.....

If I just walk.... no pain..... I think I'm just too big to run. :frown: :sad: :brokenheart:

Maybe lose 20 pounds and try again? Or keep fighting it & hope my body adjusts?

What are your thoughts? Especially from big girl runners. :)
    Sounds like you need to improve your core to support your body during running, A strong internal belt the abs, obliques and lumbar back will reduce impact stress in the low back and hips. Laying bent leg lifts, back etensions, stability ball front and side crunches, along with fornt and side planks will all help to improve your internal girdle.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're not!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned your hips and back and nothing about your knees, it sounds like you are having some hipflexor issues :) Do you have an office job or do you sit a lot? Google Iliopsoas and how to stretch your hipflexor muscles as well as increasing your range of motion. It's very common with runners and if you don't find a way to help it it will get worse. I struggle with this so I thought I'd mention it.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to run 5 days a week when I was in my early 20's and when I had my first child I gave it up while I was pregnant. Then I got into aerobic classes and weight training after my son was born. It was difficult to get back into running, even after I had lost most of the weight I had gained with pregnancy. I've gained more weight since and still run, but not nearly as far, or as fast and not without pain, either when I'm doing it or after. Fortunately, the pain isn't as enduring as it sounds like yours is, but I have fibromyalgia and there is just about no activity that doesn't hurt somehow. Since it's been so long since I ran on a regular basis (I switch my work-outs to keep challenging my body and avoid boredom) and I haven't lost any significant amount of weight (I would need to lose about 40 lbs to get back to the wieght I was at when I first started running when I was 20) I'm not sure how it would be different if I did lose the wieght. It stands to reason that it would hurt less, but I think doing strengthening excercises and stretching while you work up to the time and distance that you want to run will help reduce the pain while you continue to lose weight. Also, give yourself credit for trying. Sorry it hurts now, but don't give up.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Some heavier people seem to be okay running, but I waited until I was almost at goal before starting. I was also recovering from a knee injury and wanted to make sure my knee was strong. I did strength training and a lot of walking before I started running again. I still get some hip pain when I push myself for speed (still slow :ohwell: ) on long runs, but it's a muscle pain (flexor), and stretching exercises after I run help a lot. I also use a wooden rolling pin and "roll" the muscle. I only get back pain from standing too long, so I don't have advice for that. Hopefully, carrying less weight will solve the problem. Good luck!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do you want to run because you really enjoy it? If so, then I hope you are able to soon. :)
    If you are trying to start running as a means to get in better shape but are not in love with pounding the pavement, then please do not run. There are much better ways to achieve your goals. Primarily resistance training and interval (HIIT) in place of traditional cardio.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    'run' on the elliptical to get started... much easier on the joints
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    Speed walk! if you have access to a treadmill or hills, speed walk at an incline. You'll get there!! baby steps! 4 years ago I could barely run 6 miles.... I just completed my 1st marathon this past October. And that's after having had 2 babies. Reach for the stars!!! nothing is impossible... just time consuming :)
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Are you competitive? If so you may be overworking yourself trying to accomplish what you did in the past. I'm a very competitive person so for years I would start back working out only to injure myself a week later because I was overdoing it. Just try only walking for a few weeks so that you are not shocking your joints.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Try dialing it back a bit -- I did the Couch to 5K program - and yes my hips hurt the first few times (I was out of condition -- so I dialled it back but continued on). Start by walking. If you are not ready to progress in the program, so don't -- stay at that level for an extra week. What's the rush? You don't get extra points for straining and pushing and running it before you are ready. Take your time, listen to your body, and just move.