Losing too quickly??

Options
I know some people might think I am crazy for asking this, but I am a little concerned that I am losing weight too quickly. I have MFP set up to lose 2 lbs a week (my BMI is in the obese category, so 2 lbs a week is reasonable). I am eating 1200 calories per day - some days slightly under, some days slightly over - on one daylast week I went over by 500 calories, because it was my son's birthday party. This past week I lost 3.2 lbs. Of course, I am thrilled with the loss, but I am wondering if I am not eating enough, and my quick weight loss is pointing me towards the dreaded starvation mode! This has happened to me in weight loss attempts before, and I'd much rather lose the weight slow & steady than have a quick drop and stall - and lose motivation!

I should mention that last week I only lost .6 lb, so the average of the past 2 weeks puts me right at 2 lbs a week.

So, I guess my question is, should I add more calories to avoid starvation mode? Or are the weekly flucuations in weight loss normal and nothing to worry about?

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    From what I've been reading from other's postings... it seems to be normal. Are you drinking your water? You might also be retaining fluids the week you had the .6 loss and now you have rid yourself of it. Just try to get your calories in and drink your water... and it was said that you really need to give it a month to let the body adjust. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Congratulations on your loss so far. :flowerforyou:
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    First week is always higher because of water weight. Don't stress! You've evened yourself out.

Sounds like you are doing right by eating enough. Starvation mode really only happens when you consistently undereat - one day under won't do it.

Happy losing!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    because you're just starting, its normal. its mostly water weight.
    enjoy the rapid loss while it lasts because as you body starts to adjust, it won't keep up at this rate.

best of luck!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When you first start you will lose more. It's water weight mostly, but some of the times it's your body being used to burning a bazillion calories, and trying to keep that same burn rate. If you eat well on 90% of your days, it shouldn't be a worry. Plus when you start to watch what you eat, you get away from processed food, and that removes TONS of sodium (back to the water weight again) and excess calories. Good luck.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In my view, the human body is an amazing organism. Each one is different and acts differently. If your average is about 2 lbs per week, you are doing o.k. Last year when I lost my 22 lbs I would go for 2 - 3 weeks losing nothing then would lose 4 - 6 lbs in 1 week. I was as consistant as I could be in my eating and exercise - just the way my body works. As you continue on your journey, it's the general trend that is meaningful. Meaning if you check after 10 weeks and have lost @20 lbs, you are right on track even if some weeks its .5 and some its 3+. Good job and congratulations!