College Finals Time

Options
For everyone that has finals in the next few weeks (mine start Friday) how are you planning to stay on track? I won't have time to cook meals and I tend to want to snack when I study, any suggestions?

Replies

• violet_papillon
    violet_papillon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For snacking, I like to have dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, etc.), fresh fruits (mostly berries) and nuts (mostly almonds). I also drink a lot of green tea and I buy those little juice boxes of apple juice.
    To avoid overeating, I separate my food into ziploc bags or little containers.
    I also find it hard to get time to cook, so when I do, I'll make enough for 2-3 portions and stick it in the fridge so that I'll have meal ready to eat. This (usually) stops the temptation to get takeout.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your exams! :)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    For snacking, I like to have dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, etc.), fresh fruits (mostly berries) and nuts (mostly almonds). I also drink a lot of green tea and I buy those little juice boxes of apple juice.
    To avoid overeating, I separate my food into ziploc bags or little containers.
    I also find it hard to get time to cook, so when I do, I'll make enough for 2-3 portions and stick it in the fridge so that I'll have meal ready to eat. This (usually) stops the temptation to get takeout.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your exams! :)

Good advice here! I am an instructor and I get that urge to "stress eat" during finals. Thanks for the tips!:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Put some fresh veggies or/and fruits in little ziplocs or containers so that they are easy to grab. Another great snack that I am so addicted to are frozen grapes.

You can also have yogurts and sugar free/low calorie puddings. Those are pretty easy.

As for meals, maybe try to have a few smart ones or lean cuisines handy just in case? Perhaps some multi-grain bread for sandwiches? A bag of two of salad mix will definitely be smart to have on hand :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My last final is Tuesday (yay!)

My advice:

Don't keep snacks by you when you study. Make sure you eat lots of fruits and veggies (high energy). For me, coffee is a must but I have been avoiding latte's and sticking to regular coffee/espresso.

Good luck!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm a freshman, about to experience the stress of my first season of "Finals". Personally, nothing is going to change for me! I am going to continue to cook meals and store them in my mini fridge. When I get hungry, zap one in the microwave. I personally do not snack when I am studying, I find it to be distracting. Usually snacking when studying is mindless eating, you're not even aware of what you're chewing or tasting, you're just mindlessly chomping away.

My advice would be to continue preparing meals and eating normally as you would have during the school year. Avoid snacking and if hungry, just take a break from studying and focus on making a healthy, filling meal!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You should still have time to prepare meals. I know I did when I was in college. Just bulk prepare stuff like rice, potatoes, beans, chicken, veggies, etc and store them in the fridge. You should avoid snacking as Schondell stated as much as possible unless the snack pretty much doubles as a meal and is nutritionally robust like greek yogurt with a bit of granola and fruit.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sophomore here. Still keeping to my calorie intake, but I'm cutting out exercise, since I know I won't have time. I'm just planning out what I'm eating ahead of time. Stocking up on (healthy) frozen meals, apples, etc. Giving myself some wiggle room in case I need some emergency coffee.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a break from exercise for the most part. I will try to stay active with with daily walks and stuff, but I won't worry about intense workouts. As for food: no buying unhealthy snack foods (like pizza and icecream). Instead, I have made a lot of veggie soup that I can just heat up when I'm hungry and don't want to cook.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a break from exercise for the most part. I will try to stay active with with daily walks and stuff, but I won't worry about intense workouts. As for food: no buying unhealthy snack foods (like pizza and icecream). Instead, I have made a lot of veggie soup that I can just heat up when I'm hungry and don't want to cook.

same!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well, since I am a professor who will be giving the finals, I don't foresee a problem.....
    Seriously though, try to avoid the vending machines and if you can prepare food ahead of time, do that.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Healthy convenience foods like salad in a bag, precut veggies in a bag, cheese, nuts, fruit and herbal tea along with black coffee. And my stressbuster is very dark chocolate. I also view cooking something as taking a bit of a break from studying although I have to admit I have frozen spanikopita in the oven right now. It is some kind of lunch since it suddenly dawned on me I was starving. I also view exercise as a break although I have had days that I walk on my treadmill instead of running so I can have a textbook on the bookrack. I can't read while I'm running. Other than that I just go to work and sleep. I've got one class down (marketing with an A yay!) currently working on the last chapter of accounting and studying for a comprehensive final in statistics which I take next Thursday.

This is my third year of school but the first time that I've been working this much so it is very stressful. I often stress eat and just try very hard not to. Good luck with your finals.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Theres got to be some time where you can fit some cooking in. Prepare the meals ahead of time and your set. Don't let the finals be your excuse to slack off of getting good meals. :) I know I don't study the whole 12-16 hours I'm awake each day. :P