Bread

Options
What do you think to bread?
I've seen articles saying to cut it out of your diet, or atleast for the first few weeks.
At the minute I am having a wholegrain bread on a daily basis but wondering if I should be cutting back on it?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Love it. Eat it nearly everyday. White, wholemeal, whatever... I prefer homemade, but I'm not too fussy. I don't seem to have any intolerance to it, so I haven't had a problem with it. It certainly hasn't stopped me losing weight.

If you do have a medical issue with gluten, or carbs, there's probably not much point in cutting it out for a few weeks. Whatever benefits you have would presumably disappear once you reintroduced it.

Of course, I don't aim to eat under 1000 calories, so you and I probably have completely different views on nutrition anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread. It doesn't agree with me and it makes me gain weight.
    I am also convinced through my reading (Dr. William Davies - "Wheat Belly") and personal experience that wheat is an addictive substance which drives hunger and cravings.

My advice - though I understand *many* will disagree - is to avoid bread and wheat like the plague.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've always said that I'd kill myself if I was gluten or lactose intolerant....I can't live without my bread and cheese.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole grain bread and probably close to every day. I have cut down a little as I tend to eat a lot of sandwiches. I've found I can use one slice and put the same amount of protein and vegs as on two slices. If I k ow its the only sammy of the day, I'll use two slices.

Agree with above, unless you are struggling to keep your carbs within reason, don't bother giving it up
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just made some delicious bread. It has helped me lose weight.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I find I don't digest it very well and it gives me a puffy belly so I try and avoid having alot of it.
  • brengearhart
    brengearhart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe in to do whatever works for you, I eat whole grain bread, even make my own whole wheat pizza dough, and also wheat pancakes.. if you are still losing, why cut them? Not everyone need to cut carbs, only the bad ones in moderation..just my two cetns
  • Lacy567
    Options
    I don't eat bread often but when I do it's 15 grain whole wheat....one slice. I know it's probably not true, but I used to think bread made women gain weight. Lol!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bread, the portion size and what you eat it with: most white breads or those made with finely ground commercial wholewheat flour may as well be sugar in the way they behave in the body. Breads that are somewhat slower to digest and gentler on the blood sugar include those containing whole grains or nuts (granary/ heavily seeded), are rich in protein fat or fibre, flatbreads like pitta, traditional stoneground wheat flour, barley or soya flour. Bread is a processed food at the end of the day, it bear little resemblance to a grain of wheat.

If you are eating under 1000 calories a day I'd question how you possibly can eat grains/ cereals and still get all the vitamins, minerals, protein and essential fatty acids you need for basic health. There are far more nutritious foods calorie for calorie than bread.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Bread is awesome

/end thread
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Bread is awesome

/end thread

what she s@!d!!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have any intolerance related to bread, and as long as you don't eat so much of it that you're depriving yourself of nutrients then have at it. There's nothing inherently lipogenic about bread.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love bread... however my nutritionist few weeks back told me that key to a good start in weight loss is to cut carbs out as much as possible, or at least the white carbs, like breads, pastas and sugars... I went from about 190 carbs a day to 30-70 max and not only have noticed different in weight but inches as well... im not as hungry all the time as i was when i ate breads and pastas as fillers...
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I only agree with eliminating a food group for moral/medical problems!

I eat a lot of wholegrains daily and was still able to lose weight. Wholegrains are necessary for us unless you're intolerant. I love bread (and carbs in general) so just choose wholegrains for nutrients and benefits (white will spike your levels whereas wholegrain is slower-releasing)
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Long Live Bread!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love it and have some kind pretty much every day. Bagels, pizza, biscuits, muffins, garlic bread, corn bread, even plain white sandwich bread.

And rice, pasta, and potatoes, too.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Bread is delicious.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bread is delicious.
    ...and nutritious. Bread, eggs, milk, butter. Most undernourished people would kill for those. Makes most cakes too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I personally get a kick out of the fact that foods that nourished people for thousands of years get "demonized" in our quest for thinness.

Bread, potatoes, butter, and milk all come to mind.

Eat food in moderation. That's all it takes.
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I am trying to be good but when I fancy piece of bread it has to be proper french tasty one.