Sodium in canned vegetables

Options
aerome
aerome Posts: 171 Member
I really, really love green beans, so I've been bringing a can with me to work every day and eating the whole can with my lunch (70 cals, 4g protein, 7g fiber!!!). The only problem is, I just realized how high the sodium is (almost 1400 mg). According to my food log, I'm supposed to get around 2500 mg in a day. So having over half of my daily allowance in 70 calories worth of green beans seems a bit ridiculous.

So I was wondering: is there really THAT much sodium in the green beans? I don't drink the juice, which is where I imagine most of the sodium is. So is there really any way of knowing how much sodium I'm actually ingesting?

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I really, really love green beans, so I've been bringing a can with me to work every day and eating the whole can with my lunch (70 cals, 4g protein, 7g fiber!!!). The only problem is, I just realized how high the sodium is (almost 1400 mg). According to my food log, I'm supposed to get around 2500 mg in a day. So having over half of my daily allowance in 70 calories worth of green beans seems a bit ridiculous.

So I was wondering: is there really THAT much sodium in the green beans? I don't drink the juice, which is where I imagine most of the sodium is. So is there really any way of knowing how much sodium I'm actually ingesting?

Not sure how much exactly....but there are some that have no salt added, these are the ones I buy.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yep, buy the no-salt added. Or if you're like me and love the sodium, just rinse your beans off with water before you eat them -- no way to track sodium levels that way, though.
  • blondeambition
    Options
    Do you have a SuperTarget in your area? Market Pantry makes no sodium added canned vegetables. I believe the green beans are only 20mg/serving.
  • naegs58
    Options
    Buy the frozen vegetables, why less sodium, if none at all, and they taste a lot better.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Actually 1 cup of raw green beans have 7 mg of sodium. So they have natural sodium. I guess that's why everyone pushes the "fresh" stuff. I've been amazed at what has sodium in as well... it is an issue for me to stay within my guidelines. :flowerforyou:

www.nutritiondata.com