heart palpitations

Options
I just started working out three days ago. I weigh 260 pounds, and am very out of shape. I walked 1 mile for the first day and a mile the next day. Today was my third day, and I just walked for 30 minutes, and didn't keep up with the miles. Then I lifted light weights for about 20 minutes. My heart was fluttering/palpitating, and it took me almost 30 minutes for it to stop. How long will this happen? Will it stop, or do I need to see a doctor for it? I was very out of breath also, which I expected.

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Did you get the doctor's ok before exercising? Do you have any family history of atrial fibrillation or heart attacks?

It is entirely possible that your heart is just recovering from new exercise and will start getting stronger as you keep at it. It is also possible that you have some other condition that would facilitate the fluttering. I would go into the doctor and discuss it just to be on the safe side.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I, too, have heart palpitations. I went to a cardiologist and he basically said mine were innocent because they only happen once every 20 minutes or so, even if I am just laying down. He said that if there were several hundred in a row, then I should go to the ER.

I would definitely have them check it out, or maybe slow down your workout a little and see where that leads.
  • karoske
    Options
    Heart problems are pretty scary.. I would take it easy and work your way up to 1 mile.. Just start out walking for 10 mins everyday or twice a day and increase the time by 2 mins everyday! That will not over work your body and get your muscles used to moving again.. I started at 260 lbs and that is what I did. I wasn't looking to run a race the first day or first week.. Pace yourself. :) I don't know what to tell you about your heart... Might want to have a doctor check it if you are worried!
    :) Have a great day! :)
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I agree, it's a good idea to get clearing from your physician to exercise if you are a beginner.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    Heart palpatations can be nothing. But...they can also be something! Don't play around...go see your doctor. Mine turned out to be mitral valve prolapse: a non-life-threatening condition that is almost always no big deal. But--go find out what is causing yours.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see a doctor. Heart palpitations can be completely innocuous -- or they can be a sign of a serious health problem. Only your doctor will be able to determine which.

I have personally had palpitation for about 3 years now. I can't have caffeine or any other kind of stimulant (no cold medicine, etc.). It seems to be getting better now that I'm working on my health though (eating right and exercising).

I wish you the best of luck!