I am so confused about pasta

2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    Depending on the type of pasta, 8oz dry would translate to 500-550 calories.

This is 8 oz of dry pasta for 4 people, so 2 oz dry for each person. When divided up after cooking, this was 5.5 oz per serving and pretty much filled an entire cereal bowl.
    Those are normal servings (2 ounces) pasta absorbs water, water has no calories, your fine.
  • You're better off eating tofu shirataki noodles 1 1/3 cup for 40 calories
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    You're better off eating tofu shirataki noodles 1 1/3 cup for 40 calories
    blech
  • Already eat the whole grain pasta, made that switch many years ago. Just seems like so much, but I guess he is right.
  • You're better off eating tofu shirataki noodles 1 1/3 cup for 40 calories

Better off is relative. You have to enjoy what you're eating, or you won't stick with it. Shirataki isn't a variant of pasta. It's different. I think approaching yourself with 'wow, this is no calorie pasta' is setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's great filler, can be neutral in tone if you prepare it right, but it just isn't the same. Absolutely no comparison between a nice fresh pasta and shirataki, if you're into the pasta flavor.

That said, I eat more shirataki than pasta, to help control the carbs and calories. When I do eat pasta, it's usually a very specific indulgence anymore. I've been trying to turn having pasta into more of a 'treat' than a 'must have'.

Occasionally I hear the ghostly moans of dead, distressed Italian relatives by that food choice, but... *shrugs*.

If you see me staring longingly at a pile of fresh noodles, it's because I hear dead people. :tongue:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    Already eat the whole grain pasta, made that switch many years ago. Just seems like so much, but I guess he is right.
    lol.........at least make your husband feel he's trying to help the situation.
  • I, too, was shocked by how much pasta was actually in one serving. If you feel the amount of pasta in one serving is too much, simply split your portion in half, and save one-half for another meal. I did this just this evening, and added a salad to help fill me up.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    A portion is 3 to 4 ounces per person for adults. 300 to 400 calories per serving. Pasta is 100 calories per ounce. You measure dry. The cooking adds no calories. You add calories for any sauce based on what that sauce is. I am a professional chef.

THIS is why servings sizes have gotten so weird. The box will say 2 oz dry is a serving, which comes out to about 1 cup cooked depending on how you like it. But here's a chef saying that 3-4 oz dry is an adult serving in a restaurant.

Pasta is not all that bad for you (eaten in moderation of course) but here in America we've made it into a main dish, when most other countries use it as a side dish.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 165 Member
    A portion is 3 to 4 ounces per person for adults. 300 to 400 calories per serving. Pasta is 100 calories per ounce. You measure dry. The cooking adds no calories. You add calories for any sauce based on what that sauce is. I am a professional chef.

THIS is why servings sizes have gotten so weird. The box will say 2 oz dry is a serving, which comes out to about 1 cup cooked depending on how you like it. But here's a chef saying that 3-4 oz dry is an adult serving in a restaurant.

Pasta is not all that bad for you (eaten in moderation of course) but here in America we've made it into a main dish, when most other countries use it as a side dish.

Yup - and its why so many of us think that a "normal" serving of pasta looks small. We have become so used to seeing the plate piled way too full. It's also possibly why we are all here trying to figure this all out now.

Here is my question though. In my home, there are 3 adults, a teenaged boy and a baby. When we cook spaghetti, we usually prepare 6 servings - one each for my daughter and I, 2 servings for each guy. Baby isn't eating it yet. Ok, so if we weigh it prior to cooking, how on earth do we easily know how much makes up one serving after its cooked? All we have been doing is measuring it out by the cup, one cup being one serving. Are we doing it right or not???
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member

So 4oz of pasta is 450ish calories. Big freakin' deal. This average adult serving in a restaurant doesn't take into account your own dietary restrictions. Most adults maintaining a healthy weight would be able to eat meals up to a 1000 calories or more on a regular basis assuming that everything balances itself out through intuitive eating.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    2 oz. dry pasta = about 200 calories. You must weigh it dry; cooked weight varies depending on how long you cook it.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    Just put it in a bigger bowl if it doesn't look right. 2 oz dry pasta isn't really a huge amount for a main meal, to have with a little bit of sauce. It might be a lot if you are having it as a course in a meal, rather than the meal itself. I try to have a portion of around 50g, which is just under 2 oz. I like to eat my pasta in a big bowl, rather than a small bowl. I'm not sure why!
  • very enlightening
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

There is a difference between serving size on a package and functional serving size. Any main course, whether it's Pasta, rice, meat, veggies is portioned at 3 to 4 oz. per person. Half that as a side. That is not the huge servings you see in some restaurant chains today. They are putting out 6 to 8 oz. when they serve pasta. Why, I have no idea! It affects their cost and increases thier wasted. Food manufaturers play all kinds of games with portion size ad nutritionals listed on packaging for either regulatory compliance or, more likely, marketing reasons. What they list as a portion is not usually accurate. Something to be aware of when counting calories.
  • Having a family and being very much on the go, I gotta have my pasta days cause it is so easy and fast. Plus, we had a camp out for our Cub Scout pack last month and they gave me the remainder of the giant bottle of sauce purchased from Costco....so....yeah, I got alot of pasta sauce to use up. I know, weird to have pasta on a campout....but not my choice. I think it is mostly done because of cost.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member

Yup - and its why so many of us think that a "normal" serving of pasta looks small. We have become so used to seeing the plate piled way too full. It's also possibly why we are all here trying to figure this all out now.

Here is my question though. In my home, there are 3 adults, a teenaged boy and a baby. When we cook spaghetti, we usually prepare 6 servings - one each for my daughter and I, 2 servings for each guy. Baby isn't eating it yet. Ok, so if we weigh it prior to cooking, how on earth do we easily know how much makes up one serving after its cooked? All we have been doing is measuring it out by the cup, one cup being one serving. Are we doing it right or not???

I usually weigh it before I cook it to get the right amount and then weigh it after it's cooked to portion it out. If you make the same type of pasta all the time you could just test it one time and then use volume. That is, cook the amount you normally do. Then weigh the cooked pasta. Then weigh a cup. If, for example, you get 600 grams cooked total and a cup weighs around 100 grams, then a cup would be a serving. But, if you are doing what you do now (1 cup each for two people, 2 cups each for 2 people) and you are using up all the pasta that you made, then you probably are already portioning it out correctly. Also, I chose 100 grams at random -- I don't know if that's what a cup would actually weigh.

OP: I usually make 3 ounces of pasta and find it to be a pretty good amount. I think all the rhetoric about "carbs" has made people assume bread and pasta are just packed with calories, but I have found that I can eat a pretty satisfying portion of either without eating an unusually large number of calories.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    100g pasta raw/uncooked ~365kcal
    100g pasta cooked ~150kcal

I prefer to measure pasta uncooked. It's easier.

I use 100g-125g per person as a side dish.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    100g pasta raw/uncooked ~365kcal
    100g pasta cooked ~150kcal

I prefer to measure pasta uncooked. It's easier.

I use 100g-125g per person as a side dish.

100g uncooked is a serving size here in Australia. A packet of pasta here is 500g so it recommends a packet cooked serves 5. I find that in reality, once the sauce etc is added, a packet of pasta serves 6.

Pasta is not the devil incarnate. It has been given a bad image by the pro- low carbers. What you need to watch is what is going ON your pasta.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    These kind of threads always make me fear humans.