Setting up my workout week

Options
So I have a few current goals.

1. I want to get up to speed running a decent 5k time (for me anyways)
2. I want to increase my stamina for hiking mountains and snowshoeing.
3. I want to also increase musle tone.

I plan to run on the treadmill for the 5k goal (til snow is gone), do the stairmaster for hiking stamina, and lift weights to increase muscle tone.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to handle all of these in a given week?

Should I run 3 days, stairmaster 3 days, and lift on the running days? Or do running and stairmaster on same days and lift on others? Lift on the stairmaster days? Something else?

I don't want to hamper results if lifting after running is bad, for example.

Just not sure what best way to plan the week is?

Replies

• laurenashley923
    Options
    not really sure ..... just replying to see some other suggestions. i like to switch up my workouts to keep from getting bored and so my body doesn't get used to the same thing day after day .... good luck :)
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    not really sure ..... just replying to see some other suggestions. i like to switch up my workouts to keep from getting bored and so my body doesn't get used to the same thing day after day .... good luck :)

thank you

5 weddings, wow! good luck to you :-)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Dew, first lets talk about your current fitness level, what are you doing right now. Lets see if we can't set some realistic goals for you. Saying you want muscle tone is great, but it's kind of vague.

So best thing we could do would be to find out what you currently run a 5K at (if you can complete one), don't kill yourself, but run at a decent clip, work hard but don't leave yourself completely depleted, then let me know what that is. At that point I can help you create a program that will increase your time by a specific amount.

If you already know your current time, great, just post it and we can talk about specific time based goals.

As to the workout schedule. When training for a road race type sport, you want to do 3 different types, 1 day of long run at a lower than optimal speed, 1 day of the correct distance (in your case 5K) with intervals of hard pace and intervals of slow pace, and 1 day of less distance with a slightly harder pace than your normal 5K pace. This may be difficult to gague at first, so use your heart rate as a factor (if you have an HRM), or do timed miles as a marker (or timed kilometers if that's your measurement of choice)

with hiking, because it's not really a timed thing, I would just work slightly higher than what feels comfortable for between 30 and 60 minutes 2 days a week.

as to weight training, you can go one of two ways

1) 2 days a week of full body weight training hitting all the major muscle groups with 2 or 3 routines each (3 sets per type should be fine). If you do it this way work the largest muscle groups (quads, gluts, hamstrings, pectorals, and upper back) then move on to the smaller groups like biceps triceps, shoulders, abs, and calves

2) do 1 or 2 muscle groups 3 times a week (I do legs and abs one day, chest, arms, and back another day)

The thing about weight training is, give yourself a MINIMUM of 1 day off, preferably 2 between weight training sessions, even if you aren't working the same muscle groups.

It should be ok to do cardio the next day after weight training, but in the beginning you may not want to do hard cardio after weight training the legs, that's fine, make the day after legs your rest day. ALWAYS give yourself at least 1 rest day a week.

I will say this though, doing all 3 types of training at the same time will tax your body, I would pick 2 and focus on that. The running will help your hiking, and the stair climber will help your endurance as well, so you could pick either one and not be totally neglecting the other.
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks appreciate the detailed response.

Currently am slowly working my way up to being able to run a 5k without stopping. Right now can run about 2.3mi without stopping, usually at 10min mile (6mph). Usually a shin splint (always had an issue there), or back pain, or something will keep me from the 3.1. Lungs and heart rate have improved dramatically in last 4 weeks of running, HR used to be reason to have to slow down, now its always something else.

Really want to get to the 3.1 in under 30 mins by spring.

I haven't currently added weights, as my main goal was to improve my cardio, my heart rate, etc before adding other stuff. Not to mention my work days are long so finding time is tough.

What is your opinion on weight training after cardio on the same day?

I do like the idea of 2 days a week hitting all muscle groups this will give me time to still focus on cardio the other days.

I appreciate the insight too on longer runs at lower speed, longer at slower, etc. I tend to just try to run a little longer than last time, which has progressed, albeit slower than expected.

Maybe time spent running with incline can be a compromise for the stair master?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks appreciate the detailed response.

Currently am slowly working my way up to being able to run a 5k without stopping. Right now can run about 2.3mi without stopping, usually at 10min mile (6mph). Usually a shin splint (always had an issue there), or back pain, or something will keep me from the 3.1. Lungs and heart rate have improved dramatically in last 4 weeks of running, HR used to be reason to have to slow down, now its always something else.

Really want to get to the 3.1 in under 30 mins by spring.

I haven't currently added weights, as my main goal was to improve my cardio, my heart rate, etc before adding other stuff. Not to mention my work days are long so finding time is tough.

What is your opinion on weight training after cardio on the same day?

I do like the idea of 2 days a week hitting all muscle groups this will give me time to still focus on cardio the other days.

I appreciate the insight too on longer runs at lower speed, longer at slower, etc. I tend to just try to run a little longer than last time, which has progressed, albeit slower than expected.

Maybe time spent running with incline can be a compromise for the stair master?

I don't like weight training and cardio on the same day, but if you are going to do it, always weight train first, cardio removes energy from the muscles, if you immediately weight train after you will not be able to work your muscles to the same level, you will achieve fatigue much faster, which is counter productive, you are trying to (especially at the beginning stages) train your muscles to incorporate more fibers, fatiguing quickly will limit this and take longer to get your muscles working to their fullest.
    On the other hand, doing 10 to 15 minutes of cardio before you weight train is a fine idea as it warms up the muscles without depleting your glycogen stores. Warm muscles work harder and don't become injured as easily. Also, remember to stretch after a weight training workout. Your muscles have a degree of elasticity, if you don't stretch after intense weight training, they can become "all bunched up" not as flexible, and limit your range of motion in the long run (big time injury problems when this happens)

As to the 5K stuff, do the best you can with the routine I showed you, or use the couch to 5K program, it's a great program (you can google it, or go to coolrunnings.com, they have it there) for beginner runners who want to reach the 5K status. Let me know if you need any more help.

best of luck to you.

-Banks