How to determine Serving Size

Options
I make a big pot of chili or soup every week in the winter months. I put it in in these freezer bowls and warm them up all week for lunch and or dinner depending if my wife is working second shift or not. I create the recipe in MFP and it asks for servings. ????? How do I know?

Replies

• cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do: work out how many ladles you have in the pot and count each ladle as a serving. It' s then up to you how many of these smaller servings you put on your plate. Hope this helps
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Make the recipe, then figure out how many meals you get from it. Say you make it one night, and that night you and the wife have chili for dinner, so that's 2 meals, then figure out how many freezer bowls you fill- say, 4? That would give 6 meals, so theoretically you got 6 portions from it.

Basically, the recipe thing takes all the calories from the things you put in the soup, then divides that number by how many portions, which really depends on how big you make your portions.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Take the pot you are using and the bowl you are going to freeze them in, fill the bowls with water and fill the pot to about the level the chili fills. Count the number of bowls.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Serving size is for you to determine. If that pot of chili contains 1500 calories you can make 5 servings of 300 calories or 3 servings of 500 calories. for example. At the end of the day you determine how much you eat.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    For all of the recipes I have entered into MFP, I portion out the servings into individual containers. However many containers get filled up, that's the number of servings.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I do the same sort of thing, put out enough containers to take all the chili, divvy it up amongst the containers till it's gone and I'm done, then I dump my fresh chili or soup into my dinner bowl and dig in, that way I know it's the same size serving as the rest. If I'm making a big batch my hubby bought me a lovely pan set last Christmas with measurement markings on the inside, most useful item I've recieved in quite a while, lol.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing make a black bean chili, I use the app to build the recipe and I just put one serving. Then I portion out the finished product into 1.25 cups for example and freeze then in individual containers. Once complete I go back into MFP recipe app and update the portions.