Carb, protien, fat ratio. What do you set yours at?

Options
I've been looking at some stuff online and it seems there's a different mix for most people. I'm looking at changing mine on MFP mostly because the protien is just way to low for me to handle. I'm not a "wing it" kinda person if I'm tracking something :wink: Anyway, just wondering what percentages you use if you've changed it on here.

The most common I've seen online today is to use 40-30-30, yes there was alot more out there but I think my brain is fried from looking at too much info online today :ohwell: I really really don't have alot of weight to lose and I think if I tone up then weight will come off with the cardio I'm doing.

So anyway, just looking to get a feel what has worked for other people. I also just want to pat myself on the back because when I first started doing this I had no clue what these ratios were and when other's talked about them it confused the heck outta me :tongue:

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Try out this quiz. It put me at 40-30-30, and I am trying to get my actual intake to that amount. :smile: It was quite interesting.

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The combo I found that makes me feel the best (right now) is 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. I think some days I end up eating 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat, bu tthe 50/25/25 seems most common for me.
    I just feel so much better when I eat more protein, I couldn't handle that 55%, 20%, 25% or whatever MFP sets to automatically.
  • rondaperry
    rondaperry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat more proteins (grams) than carbs and try to eat ONE gram of protein PER pound I weigh. It's allot but it keeps me feeling full, helps me build muscle and although I eat carbs for energy, it keeps my carbs low enough I don't store fat. I weigh 120 pds so I eat 120 grams of protein a day. I try to keep my carbs at about 100-120 grams and the rest in good fat. Carbs and proteins are each 4 calories per gram. Fats are 9. So I try to divide it out evenly between the 3.

120 grams proteins x 4 calories = 480 calories
    100 grams carbs x 4 calories = 400 calories
    45 grams fat x 9 = 405 calories

Total calorie intake almost 1300 calories. If you work out ALOT, you need to up all of these a bit but still divide them out equally. If you aren't used to eating that much protein, gradually bring it up. Of course you need to do some lifting of weights to help that protein build muscle. You won't bulk up on this amount of protein....but you will tone up!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    40/30/30
  • Questfor250
    Options
    I am at 40/30/30 too.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    Im actually at 45 carbs, 35 protein, 20 fats.....
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate this ratio?
    If you take in 1200 calories
    Carbs- 165
    Fat- 40
    Protein- 45

I took that test & I'm mixed type 50% Carbs 20% Fat & 30% Protein
    How do I work this? :blushing:

Any feedback or help is appreciated!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am the odd ball out.............

10% carbs (0-15 grams of carbs per day - all come from veggies or fruit)
    30% protein (fish, chicken, beef, bit of pork)
    60% fat (butter, coconut oil, chicken skin, etc)
  • alfiesue
    Options
    what carbs do you eat ? if not eating bread or potatoes ? i am sure there is some way to get them , thank you !
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    This was really interesting, have just taken the test and am at 40/30/30 so will see if it makes a difference over the next couple of weeks!

• Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Try out this quiz. It put me at 40-30-30, and I am trying to get my actual intake to that amount. :smile: It was quite interesting.

Well I took the test :happy: We shall see what happens. Mine said I should be 20-50-30. Maybe that's why I break down and just eat a whole steak somedays :laugh: Really, I was feeling kinda crappy and all I wanted was a one pound steak to myself. Then I felt guilty, like you're not supposed to eat a steak when you are trying to lose. I think I will be much happier this way. I'll try it out for a month and see if it works out. I was always always under on my carbs before. Way way over on protien! Maybe now I won't feel so stressed out to eat steak, and my husband will love it too :heart: :laugh: :wink: Since I've been eattin such little protien at dinner, he's left hungry.

Anyway, thanks for the site :flowerforyou:
  • tndiva10
    Options
    Hi alfiesue, fruits & vegetables. :)
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Took that quiz. Turns out I'm a balanced oxidizer. I guess that's good - I'm at 40 c - 35 p - 25 f at the moment...
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    what carbs do you eat ? if not eating bread or potatoes ? i am sure there is some way to get them , thank you !

The only carbs I eat are veggies first and foremost as they are the most important, a bit of fruit as a snack and nuts and seeds. My dairy is very limited to a bit of butter, cheese every once and a while and whole milk greek yogurt.

We don't need potatoes, corn, or grains.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Or dairy from anywhere other than our mother's breast (if you're going there, why not go all the way?).
    Our bodies can certainly still extract essential nutrients from these foods (even though we may need a little processing assistance prior to consumption). :smile:

"Mozambican Grass Seed Consumption During the Middle Stone Age"
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/326/5960/1680

I naturally tend to shy away from eating many grains (oats are pretty much my #1 grain). I do eat a good deal of potatoes and starchy veggies like carrots. I have no problems getting 100g carbs a day (and usually more).
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Mine have been falling at about 40/30/30. I can't even say I'm really aiming at that, but I find that's how the numbers have come out once I started focusing my meals much more on lean protein and vegetables. The biggest source of fat I currently have in my diet is the olive oil I include with my vegetables and the bit of dark chocolate that eat after dinner.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm on a runner's diet ratio of 50-25-25
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Or dairy from anywhere other than our mother's breast (if you're going there, why not go all the way?).
    Our bodies can certainly still extract essential nutrients from these foods (even though we may need a little processing assistance prior to consumption). :smile:

"Mozambican Grass Seed Consumption During the Middle Stone Age"
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/326/5960/1680

I naturally tend to shy away from eating many grains (oats are pretty much my #1 grain). I do eat a good deal of potatoes and starchy veggies like carrots. I have no problems getting 100g carbs a day (and usually more).

I have mentioned that point along with my point so many times over the year that I have belonged to this site that I get flamed and berated for saying such things...............

I do eat a bit of dairy (but keep it pretty limited).
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm at 45 protein, 25 carbs and 30 fats.
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    40-30-30 has been thought to promote fat loss. *as long as the 30% fats are healthy fats* (canola, olive, flax seed oils, or nuts.)