I want to get strong!

Options
I am new to all this fitness stuff - never really done any proper exercise at all and I am such a weakling!

I have a lot of weight to lose but I want to get strong and toned not to just end up lighter.

Just started but I currently do a Zumba class for an hour on Monday and Tuesday and that is about it! I have an exercise bike and have just ordered some weights.

Super duper motivated at the moment! I want to feel healthy and not like I am decades older than my actual age.

I am not sure what exercises to do with weights when they arrive. I have some 1.1 kg dumbbells but that sounds tiny after what I have read on here!

What are the best exercises for a beginner?

How often should I do them? (Consecutive or non-consecutive days?)

Should I eat differently to get strong / build muscle or take any supplements?

I have a Tracy Anderson DVDs (which I haven't been doing!) and she says not to use weights more than 3lbs but women here are lifting more than that!

Also I am thinking of getting a Jillian Michaels DVD - is that something to do as well as weights or instead of weights?

Are there any sites / books / DVDs that you recommend?

Sorry for all the questions! :blushing: I just don't want to jump into this without knowing what I am doing and end up doing myself a mischief!

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of replies on this I'm sure, and a popular one will be to lift and lift HEAVY! Check out New Rules For Lifting For Women. (NRFLFW)
    Lifting heavy is very good for building nice, strong FEMININE muscles, not bulk! And it is great for making bones stronger as well, helping to fight future osteo issues.
    Another site I was turned on to is simplyshredded.com. They have a whole womens fitness section and a nice breakdown of a 12 week beginners program!

Best of luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to get strong programs that dont allow you to lift me than 5 lbs wont cut it. If you want a workout dvd that will help, then chalean extreme, p90x, or body beast can help. If go to the gym then a program like strong lift 5x5 will help. Or if you can afford the dvds there are free programs on www.bodyrock.tv or youtube.
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    This is a great question!!! I've been thinking/feeling the same thing ever since I started here at the end of Oct. Thanks for posting! And looking forward to reading all the replies! :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've been using weight machines at the gym for 6-9 months, and last week I was having trouble with one of the machines, so the trainer helped me use dumbbells. He had me using 20# dumbbells for chest presses and pec flies!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    strength training lift heavier weights with lower reps I think strong lift 5 x 5 training or new rules of lifting for women is a good start

the low weights with high reps can work but it takes such a long time and the workouts can take hours to finish
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Get someone to show you proper form and read about what muscles to hit. I used to always make sure I hit the big muscle groups: chest, back, shoulders, hamstrings and quads. Biceps and calls next. Once I had a good routine I mixed it up and tried new things. Of course I should tell you I'm not an expert and I don't lift now, but I read a lot and I used to be very successful with weight lifting. I want to start again, in the next few months I'll be working on squats and lunges and simple physio exercises for my rotators
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It's true that you need to lift heavy but I suggest starting light to make sure you have very good habits with form.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's true that you need to lift heavy but I suggest starting light to make sure you have very good habits with form.

quality over quantity
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    if you want to get strong the correct way and not be a meathead...look up Mike Boyle...and its NOT me.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Start light is a must. I am a little strange (for a bloke) as I do not want large muscles. I am an endurance cyclist and big muscles use too much energy. So I use light weights and high reps ie 3X80 curls with 5kg weights. Not an expert but it works for me.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    www.niashanks.com
    www.girlsgonestrong.com
    www.soheefit.com
    www.bodyrock.tv
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    New Rules is good but a little complicated. I would do it after I got started on a more basic program, but thats just me.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

and google Mark Rippetoe videos to watch the form of these lifts...it helped me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Start light is a must. I am a little strange (for a bloke) as I do not want large muscles. I am an endurance cyclist and big muscles use too much energy. So I use light weights and high reps ie 3X80 curls with 5kg weights. Not an expert but it works for me.

Lifting heavy, even for a man, will not give you big muscles if the diet isnt there. In order for men and women to gain muscle you need to eat more calories than you burn. So you will stay lean if you lift heavy and are on a calorie deficit. Here is the main difference, your strength gains will be much greater with high rep low rep as it works fast twitch (explosive power) muscle fibers. Low weight high rep will work endurance but you need both for good training.
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Thank you all! Lots of reading to do!

Might have to add boy push ups into my routine somewhere - I can do 1, maybe 2 ....
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Bump
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Interested in weight training myself, but there seems to be no way to avoid the weight gain that comes with it.
    I was told by a trainer it would cause weight gain, and according to the stronglifts site, people gain 25Ibs in a year sometimes from doing the 5x5 programme, so I am undecided. I did manage to pick up a 30kg barbell and lift that over my head for 3 sets of 7 reps on my first attempt, but sort of put off continuing it, by the possible weight gain.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Lots of reading to do!

Might have to add boy push ups into my routine somewhere - I can do 1, maybe 2 ....

it's ok to just call them pushups. i can do more push ups than most guys i know :laugh:
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    find a bowflex on creigslist and find a routine online. I use mine daily and have built alot of mass. Hoping to get my wife going on it soon!!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump