My Flip-Flop Pizza w/pour-able dough - Delicious/healthy

Options
mattcoop
mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
My unique creation: A pizza that you cook upside down with a pour-able dough (12" medium size - 2 to 3 servings).

When cut into 4 slices it yields the following nutrition per slice when using my homemade turkey sausage* : 286 Calories, 125 mg Sodium, 17 g Protein, 29 g Carbs, 5 g sugar, 12 g Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 532 mg Potassium, 24 mg Cholesterol, and more than 12% USRDA each for Vit A, C, Calcium and Iron.

This recipe uses the mouth-watering smell of anise seeds, dried oregano and oven roasted oat flour (made by grinding oat meal flakes with a your blender)
Inexpensive anise seeds can be found at a Mexican or Indian grocery store. Possibly also at some standard grocery stores.

Healthy hint: An inexpensive, low sodium pasta sauce to use: Rinaldi brand (No Salt Added Traditional or No Salt Added Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic - both only have 40 milligrams sodium per sodium, while most sauces have 350 to 800 milligrams/serving
If you go low sodium on items like the sauce, fresh vegetables and this dough .... then you have more "leeway" for toppings that you don't - like pepperoni, other deli meat, and bacon bits. Use my crusted turkey sausage bits recipe for a low sodium topping also.

Two kinds of utensils used:
1) 11" skillet splatter screens (Good Cook brand) found at Walmart. This brand is preferred because you can easily break off its plastic handle that can't be placed in an oven.

2) Optional (for quick dicing vegetables or smoked sausages): Vidalia Chop Wizard @ Bed Bath and Beyond.

To make these screens for oven use remove their plastic handles by putting a screwdriver in the handle hole and twist it until it breaks off. These screens are used to help both flip the pizza and to allow moisture to escape the ingredients while cooking - so you have a quick-cooked crisp pizza. and mot a soggy one.

Set oven to convection cooking (if available) @475 deg F

Place a large cloth or wax paper on the kitchen counter.

Set one splatter screen on it. Apply non-stick spray on screen

Then add diced tomatoes and other vegetable toppings on the screen. (Not the meat yet unless the meat is raw). If mushrooms are wanted, so not add them at this time.

Do not make the dough until instructed or it will thicken & not pour.

Place the veggie topping covered screen in the oven for 15 min or until most of the moisture seems gone. Pull screen from oven and onto stovetop. Place ground meats, or diced smoked sausage or pepperoni then fresh basil leaves (shred them as you apply). Next, a light amount of shredded cheese or an Italian brand mozzarella cheese ball (sliced & them diced with the mentioned chopper). In my opinion, there is no better cheese for pizza than true Italian mozzarella.
Add mushrooms now, if desired.
Lightly drizzle your preferred tomato sauce. Place in oven another 10 min.

Bring out again on stovetop.
Mix the dough ingredients.
While making sure the " just-now mixed" dough doesn't touch the screen, pour the pizza dough only on the "toppings" , not the screen. Use non-stick spray on screen edge, in case the dough comes in contact while cooking.
Place back in oven, dough side up. Cook until the dough is brown and very crispy (almost ready to burn!)
Remove from oven and place on a clean plate and then flip. If there is a little dough stuck to the screen then use a rubber spatula to gently separate it. Soak screen in the sink to help remove food particles later on.

Ingredients for a 12" meat & veggie pizza in order of use:

6 oz (168 g) Fresh diced tomatoes
4 oz (112 g) Diced yellow bell peppers
1 oz (14 g) Fresh diced jalapeno pepper

Pepperoni or other meat toppings (amount desired)*
4 or 5 Fresh Basil leaves.
2 oz (56 g) Beli Gioioso fresh mozzarella cheese

Diced shiitake (Costco) or portabella mushrooms. Amount desired
2-1/2 oz (70 g) Rinaldi Traditional (No Salt Added) Pasta sauce

Dough
Note: Mix dry ingredients first.

1-2 Tsp Oregano, dried
1 Tbsp Black pepper - fresh crushed preferred
1/2 Tbsp Anise seeds
4-1/4 oz (120 g) Ground whole grain oats
4 oz ( g) Skim milk
1-1/3 Tbsp Canola or extra virgin olive oil
2-1/2 oz (100 g) egg whites

*My turkey sausage recipe will be posted today if I have the time.... it s much less detailed than this!

I have only made one batch of this recipe and several women at a hospital loved its appearance. The color of the yellow peppers on the brown crust among other ingredients make it a strikngly colorful pizza.

A low sodium leaved version dough will be tried out soon. Using calcium bicarbonate.

Replies