So confused, ready to kill

Options
Hey. I know this has probably been asked in a hundred different ways, but I am so confused. Every source I use calculates my daily calorie goals differently! I know that calculators are a tool and not exact science, but to lose 2 pounds a week I have gotten calorie goals ranging from 1290-2073. Come on! I have used scooby's workshop, the "road map" spreadsheet, MFP and others.

Here are my stats- someone help me find a healthy place to lose 2 pounds a week!
Weight- 240
Height- 62 inches
Frame- large
Job- hairdresser, on feet for 36 hours/wk
Exercise- 7 days week; 3 fast walking, 4 vigorous weight lifting (5 hours a week)
neck- 16.5 inches
waist- 43 inches
hips- 51 inches

I have been shooting for 1350 average calories a week, with 130 grams of protein a day. My weight loss is stalling and i am feeling low energy.

Thanks for your time and input!

Replies

• shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    just checked your diary.

You have 93g of carbs.... It's not enough for you.
    try a 40-30-30 diet plan.... 40 carbs,30 prot, 30 fat (see if it works).
    You can go in your goal section and modify these plan by hand.

You need carbs for energy. DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH but 93 ain't enough.
    Could be just that simple :wink:

Take care
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'd just use the MFP calculator...it's just as good as any other. I'd also do more cardio, and less weight lifting if losing fat is what you are after.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    also weight loss is depending on many things.....scale don't count bones,muscles etc.
    use a mirror and a measuring tape.

If you melt inches, it's fine. Scale is pointless at some point when training.
  • sondra0112
    Options
    I'm new so this may not be accurate but perhaps you need more carbs. I'm diabetic and my nutritionist told me to eat 50% carbs. She stated I should not go under that because my energy level will crash. Just a thought. I'm 197 lbs and I was told to consume 1200 cals per day but I sit behind a desk all day.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not a numbers person, but it seems like you are on the right track. MFP has a function to dial to your weight loss needs, I have mine set to 0.8/week, and I have 1260 calories daily. My Home>Goals>Fitness Goals>Change Goals>Guided. Then use the toggle on the last box to update your weight loss/week desired...safely!

Good luck, am willing to be your "friend" if you log daily and have an open diary!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    some calculators include your exercise calories and some don't. if you use mfp and put lightly active and then eat exercise calories on top of that you should continue your 2lb per week weight loss.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    A lot of sources say 10 calories per pound of your goal weight, 12-14 cals if you are exercising. I stick with the 10 cals and still exercise, though not as vigorously as you.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Exercise- 7 days week; 3 fast walking, 4 vigorous weight lifting (5 hours a week)

I have been shooting for 1350 average calories a week, i am feeling low energy.

I'm hoping you mean 1350/day and not for the whole week, lol!

Anyway..no expert.. maybe your body is telling you to eat more?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Considering your level of avtivity, you probably need more calories.

If you use the roadmap, find the TDEE for your activity level, and subtract 20 percent from that. I think you will have more energy if you eat more.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough it sounds like.

How long is your fast walking and how vigorous is your weight lifting? What exercises are you doing? How many sets/reps? How long do you rest between sets? Do you do the same weight lifting workout every time?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Are you giving yourself any rest days?
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    doesn't sound like enough calories to me. I stalled out after 3 weeks because MFP set my cals too low. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com. They seemed to be more accurate. Another way would be a version of WW... for your goal weight you want to be at 1200 (they don't recommend lower than that) and for every 10 lbs add 50 calories. Then for every 10 you lose, subtract 50 calories. You still need to fuel the body you have.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are going to get as many different responses here as anywhere else ;-)
    The common theme seems to be to up your calories or carbs; I'm on the bandwagon that says to change your percentages of carbs, proteins and fats. The 40/30/30 plan is pretty safe though I do more carbs in the veggie category. If you MUST go so low on your calories, at least make sure you can get out of bed and go to the gym and work; more carbs will do that for you.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I really hate how the lack of carbs make you tired information people always give. I am doing Insanity 6 times a week and heavy lifting 3 times a week on a low carb diet. 20-30 net carbs a day. I can post my food diary if you want proof and I have lots of energy and I do Insanity on a empty tummy in the mornings. So stop with the you need carbs in order to function talk. Different diets work for different people.

To the OP: I would look at getting at least 1500-1800 cals a day at your weight. You decide on the break-up you want to use. You can do the 10-20% fat 30-40% protein 40-50% carb diet like most people use. Or you can do a 20-30g carbs then 40-60% protein and 40-60% fat low carb diet. It's just depends on what you can stick with. I also depends on your body and if you are insulin resistant or not. Carb based diets don't work well for people who are insulin resistant. MFP has a tool under goals to figure out what you need every day just do a custom setup. set your calories around 1500-1800 or more if you like (I found I am dropping weight faster at 1800 a day then I was at 1500 a day). Then use the percent pull downs to find your macro's for the day. It's really easy to do. If you have any question please feel free to message me.
  • sondra0112
    Options
    Hi ratherbefishing, I'm interested in more details about what you posted. You indicated a carb diet does not work for insulin resistance. I am insulin resistant and my dietician told me to eat 50% carbs. Should I clarify that with her? Perhaps she told me no more than 50%. My protein has been higher and I've been trying to adjust to eat more healthy carbs. Maybe i should try 40% carbs? I don't eat junk at all so the carbs I eat are from veggies, fruit, almond milk and limited whole grain bread.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    STELLAR article , well written .... Simple, basic .... and totally right on!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrsbigmack/view/finding-the-sweet-spot-452184
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    STELLAR article , well written .... Simple, basic .... and totally right on!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrsbigmack/view/finding-the-sweet-spot-452184

Wow, that is probably one of the best explanations I have sen. I am definitely bookmarking and passing it on. Thx for sharing.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Stop relying on calculators. Take ownership of your body and weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/808325-the-one-truth?hl=the+one+truth#posts-12115942
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough it sounds like.

How long is your fast walking and how vigorous is your weight lifting? What exercises are you doing? How many sets/reps? How long do you rest between sets? Do you do the same weight lifting workout every time?

I am walking 4mph for 30 minutes- so 2 miles and am at a medium heart rate
    I do one body area per session, machines, lift 3 sets with reps at 12/10/8. I lift as heavy as I can with the last of each rep being very difficult. i rest about 20 secs between reps and about 60 secs between machines.