5' 8" and questioning potential GW

Options
Hi. I'm 5' 8" and I was wondering, what do you think my goal weight should be for a height like mine? Any suggestions? :]

Replies

• Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    135-140lbs should be ideal for your height without looking like your anorexic lol
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 127. I have a small frame.

It's hard to say since everybody is different.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended between 145-155. At 5'8". I am 185 now, so I have a ways to go still, but hopefully I will get there soon.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    163 is the top of the healthy range according to BMI charts for 5'8" Really it's hard to give someone else a goal weight, to me factors to consider.
  • onewayoranother23
    onewayoranother23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty wide frame. I have wide hips.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.75". My goal weight is about 150. I've been 145 before with less muscle and was mostly happy. I have a bigger frame (large shoulders, big rib cage, big hips).
  • onewayoranother23
    onewayoranother23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended between 145-155. At 5'8". I am 185 now, so I have a ways to go still, but hopefully I will get there soon.
    Don't worry. I'm 178. We'll both get there. :]
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to say, everyone is built so differently! I'm 5'8" and 128lbs, but I have a very small frame (wrist < 6").
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say. Depends on frame, age, muscle tone, etc. I'm 5' 8" and people are shocked to learn I weigh 164. Most think I'm in the 140 range. Just take it as it goes and your body will settle in where it needs to be. I had wanted 150 but my body has been plateaued at this weight for a year now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5' 8" and I was wondering, what do you think my goal weight should be for a height like mine? Any suggestions? :]

Depending on frame size.
    small 126, medium 140, large 154

Wrist size helps determine frame size.
    small up to 6", medium 6 to 6.25", large over 6.25"
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Depending on frame size.
    small 126, medium 140, large 154

Wrist size helps determine frame size.
    small up to 6", medium 6 to 6.25", large over 6.25"

Thanks for this, this is helpful information
  • barbzwithtatts
    Options
    im same height and mine is 132lbs, going from 203lbs. :)
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, my current weight is 130, my goal weight is around 120 :)

I'd reccomend something higher than that though- I'm at the lower end of normal where I am now. Depending on your frame, maybe 130-140+?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty wide frame. I have wide hips.

Pear-shaped? I'm the same height and am right now struggling to get out of the 150s. I look decent here, but I want to be better and think 135 might be that level, but 145 might look better too.

So I would say 135-145 would be ideal.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It really varies depending on your frame and shape. I'm 5'8" and 114lbs but I still have a little bit more fat to lose but I'm focusing on adding muscle. For some 114 would be way too thin.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Im between 5'8 and 5'9 - loved my body the most right around 145 - Now I am working to get back to that!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Depends on how much muscle you have/want and your frame. My best friend is 5'7" and was way too skinny at 129 pounds, but she's got a larger frame.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Just under 5'8" with a large frame and a propensity to muscle, and medically advised to aim for a GW of between 170 and 180. I very much doubt I could even achieve 114, as the poster above has - 150 would be pushing it for me! A lot of variables go into this - it's not just height and weight...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 151 lbs right now with a goal of 145 lbs.

I picked 145 lbs because it's smack in the middle of the "normal" range of the BMI. However, I know the BMI isn't the greatest thing to measure yourself against. I am pretty happy with my appearance at 151 lbs, but I definitely have some extra fat to lose so I will keep going. I have a dr. appointment next month and I'm going to see what she thinks about my goal weight.

For what it's worth, I'm a size M tops and size 8 pants. I don't think I want to get smaller than a 6 because of my broad shoulders and hips. I would look weird, and I don't want to lose my curves.
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm a big build, 'big boned' as they say, I'm 5'7-5'8 and currently weigh 145lbs. I'm looking to be between 135-140lbs. I'm currently a uk size 12 but hope by the time I reach my goal weight I will be a size 10.

It really depends on your frame etc, but everyone is different so it's where best you feel comfortable that should be a goal:)